Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista/XP question

Vista/XP question

chuckieŽ

I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and his
on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards laying
about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old versions
of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2 series cards.
While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no Vista drivers for
them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an interim until he gets
a proper card for his machine? I have no experience with Vista so I thought
I'd ask here...

chuckcar

"chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:qQw3l.6554$(E-Mail Removed):

> I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
> Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and
> his on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards
> laying about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old
> versions of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2
> series cards. While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no
> Vista drivers for them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an
> interim until he gets a proper card for his machine? I have no
> experience with Vista so I thought I'd ask here...

You *know* there's no Vista drivers included with windows itself or you
didn't get Vista drivers with the video cards? Generally windows includes
drivers for any hardware older that the release of windows. If the card
was manufactured before Vista was released, there's a good chance Vista
comes with drivers for it. As far as it working with Vista or not, there
was an option in Xp to use 98 drivers if required. I see no reason why
Vista would do that as well for XP. Compatibility would be *more* likely
between Vista and XP than XP and 98.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Peeassha

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:qQw3l.6554$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
>> Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and
>> his on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards
>> laying about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old
>> versions of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2
>> series cards. While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no
>> Vista drivers for them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an
>> interim until he gets a proper card for his machine? I have no
>> experience with Vista so I thought I'd ask here...
>>

> You *know* there's no Vista drivers included with windows itself or you
> didn't get Vista drivers with the video cards? Generally windows includes
> drivers for any hardware older that the release of windows. If the card
> was manufactured before Vista was released, there's a good chance Vista
> comes with drivers for it. As far as it working with Vista or not, there
> was an option in Xp to use 98 drivers if required. I see no reason why
> Vista would do that as well for XP. Compatibility would be *more* likely
> between Vista and XP than XP and 98.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

I don't think so, remember vista is a pig! Did ya just get done shoveling
the snow?

chuckieŽ

"chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qQw3l.6554$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
> Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and

his
> on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards

laying
> about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old versions
> of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2 series cards.
> While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no Vista drivers for
> them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an interim until he

gets
> a proper card for his machine? I have no experience with Vista so I

thought
> I'd ask here...

Found a really good solution! The son decided to buy a new video card. I
was under the impression that he didn't have the money to do it, hence my
questions, however, as it turns out, he had a spare $100 and we went to Best
buy and got a fairly decent one. Thanks to all for help and/or replies, now
I think its time to clean out the old video cards and such from the
closet...

chuckieŽ

"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:50:35 -0500, "chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:qQw3l.6554$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
> >> Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and

> >his
> >> on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards

> >laying
> >> about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old

versions
> >> of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2 series

cards.
> >> While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no Vista drivers for
> >> them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an interim until he

> >gets
> >> a proper card for his machine? I have no experience with Vista so I

> >thought
> >> I'd ask here...

> >Found a really good solution! The son decided to buy a new video card.

> >was under the impression that he didn't have the money to do it, hence my
> >questions, however, as it turns out, he had a spare $100 and we went to

Best
> >buy and got a fairly decent one. Thanks to all for help and/or replies,

now
> >I think its time to clean out the old video cards and such from the
> >closet...
> >

> Give them to the local school system. No doubt they could use them.

Generally, I give them to a local computer store, he, in turn, builds
computers from these parts and does exactly that, gives them to needy
schools...