Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera is not as sharp as another camera of the same model

Camera is not as sharp as another camera of the same model

void.no.spam.com@gmail.com

I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.

I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
other camera to have a sharper image?

Pete D

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
> some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
> have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
> that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
> with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
> shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
>
> I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
> whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
> one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
> other camera to have a sharper image?

You say "seems to", are they sharper or not?

Bob Williams

> I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
> some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
> have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
> that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
> with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
> shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
>
> I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
> whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
> one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
> other camera to have a sharper image?

Many digital Cameras have a setting that allows you to choose the degree
of Sharpening you wish the camera to perform.
Did you set this control to the same value on both cameras?
Bob Williams

PixelPix

On Dec 22, 4:42*am, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
> some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
> have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
> that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
> with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
> shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
>
> I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
> whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
> one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
> other camera to have a sharper image?

First thing to check that both lenses are clean. If one has a grubby
thumb print on the front element you will not get the level of
sharpness.

Then check the in-camera settings for sharpness as Bob suggested.

If it comes down to which one to keep, go for the one that provides
the best image quality.... that's what it's all about after all.

Rusty

ransley

On Dec 21, 12:42*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
> some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
> have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
> that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
> with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
> shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
>
> I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
> whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
> one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
> other camera to have a sharper image?

Iso, sharpening, f stop-speed used, and maybe an overall quality
setting and maybe more should be checked, or I have heard there are
good lenses and not so good of a group sold. They make them by the
million so im sure not everything is perfectly made.

Don Stauffer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
> some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
> have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
> that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
> with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
> shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
>
> I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
> whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
> one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
> other camera to have a sharper image?

Sharpness is sometimes not a very clear term. Is the bad one apparently
less resolution (which is what I think of as sharpness)?

Some people call higher contrast sharper. Is the bad one lacking in
contrast?

I am not familiar with the A650. Are you manually focusing? Of course,
bad focus can create loss of resolution. Other than that, an element
being out of place or tilted a lot would be an explanation.

If it is loss of contrast, then a dirty lens is the suspect.

I am taking you at your word that the settings are identical. Lots of
settings affect resolution and contrast.

me@mine.net

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:42:18 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital

>I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
>some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
>have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
>that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
>with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
>shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
>
>I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
>whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
>one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
>other camera to have a sharper image?

Verify all the in camera image process settings are the same:

resolution
contrast
saturation
sharpening
etc.

me@mine.net

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:55:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:42:44 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
><(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>Verify all the in camera image process settings are the same:
>>
>>resolution
>>contrast
>>saturation
>>sharpening
>>etc.

>May be easiest to do with a Master Reset on both cameras.

But then the OP doesn't learn what the settings are and how to change them.

void.no.spam.com@gmail.com

On Dec 22, 2:42*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:42:18 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
> >some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
> >have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
> >that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
> >with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
> >shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.

> >I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
> >whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
> >one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
> >other camera to have a sharper image?

> Verify all the in camera image process settings are the same:
>
> resolution
> contrast
> saturation
> sharpening
> etc.

I took the pictures in Auto mode, which does not allow you to change
most of those types of settings. I would assume that Auto mode uses
default values for those, so that the values would be the same on both
cameras. I also did clean the cameras' lenses. And I set the focus
setting to "Center" (makes the camera divide the frame into 9 boxes,
and focuses on the center box). It appears that these camera lenses
just aren't perfect. In some shots that I took, Camera A would be
sharper than Camera B in certain spots. But in other shots, Camera B
would be sharper than Camera A in certain spots.