Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Which telephoto lens to get for Canon 400D (sub-$800)

Re: Which telephoto lens to get for Canon 400D (sub-$800)

Ray Fischer

Stimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have a Canon 400D, with a Canon 17-85 IS lens. I'm going on safari
>next Feb, and so want to get a better lens for telephoto zoom shots.
>
>My budget is less than 800 USD (less than 600 euro), and I've managed to
>find the following lenses that fit my budget:
>
>- Canon 70-300 IS
>- Sigma 18-200 DC
>
>and at the higher end...
>
>- Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
>- Canon 70-200L USM f/4 (this is 2nd hand mint, hence the lower price)
>
>Anyone have views on these, and which would be best for the type of
>envinronment I intend on shooting in?

The 70-200 lenses are very nice, but they don't have a very long reach.
If I was going I'd take either the 70-300 (if I wanted a cheaper lens
that I could stand losing) or the 100-400 to pair with the 17-85. The
drawback with that one being no IS.

--
Ray Fischer

Pete D

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 21 Dec 2008 07:13:25 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in
> <494dec95$0$1624$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>Stimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I have a Canon 400D, with a Canon 17-85 IS lens. I'm going on safari
>>>next Feb, and so want to get a better lens for telephoto zoom shots.
>>>
>>>My budget is less than 800 USD (less than 600 euro), and I've managed to
>>>find the following lenses that fit my budget:
>>>
>>>- Canon 70-300 IS
>>>- Sigma 18-200 DC
>>>
>>>and at the higher end...
>>>
>>>- Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
>>>- Canon 70-200L USM f/4 (this is 2nd hand mint, hence the lower price)
>>>
>>>Anyone have views on these, and which would be best for the type of
>>>envinronment I intend on shooting in?

>>The 70-200 lenses are very nice, but they don't have a very long reach.
>>If I was going I'd take either the 70-300 (if I wanted a cheaper lens
>>that I could stand losing) or the 100-400 to pair with the 17-85. The
>>drawback with that one being no IS.

> Why do you think you need such a long lens? Friends of mine on safari
> have done well with much less -- the guides got them pretty close.

And there is nothing to indicate that his guides will do the same.

Long is good in this situation but I would personally go for an IS lens and
choose the 70-300mm IS.

tony cooper

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:53:39 +1100, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 21 Dec 2008 07:13:25 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in
>> <494dec95$0$1624$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>>The 70-200 lenses are very nice, but they don't have a very long reach.
>>>If I was going I'd take either the 70-300 (if I wanted a cheaper lens
>>>that I could stand losing) or the 100-400 to pair with the 17-85. The
>>>drawback with that one being no IS.

>> Why do you think you need such a long lens? Friends of mine on safari
>> have done well with much less -- the guides got them pretty close.

>And there is nothing to indicate that his guides will do the same.
>
>Long is good in this situation but I would personally go for an IS lens and
>choose the 70-300mm IS.

My wife and I vacationed in Kenya in 1988. Did the game parks and
Tree Tops. I was using film then, and carried two lenses. My "long"
lens was a 200mm. With the exception of Tree Tops - where you
photograph animals at the water hole from the lodge - I used my 55mm
lens almost exclusively. The animal life is best photographed as part
of the scenery. You really aren't looking for up-close shots that
show the whiskers. You can get that with a visit to a zoo at home.

When you take those "safari" trips, you move from place-to-place every
couple of days. You travel in a Land Rover-type of vehicle that holds
four to six passengers. You really don't want more baggage/gear than
is absolutely necessary.

What blew my mind on that trip was the equipment the "birders"
brought...spotting scopes, tripods, and lenses the size of small
canons. At parks like Lake Baringo, where birders come from all over
the world, you see some of the most elaborate kits you can imagine.
These people have a different objective, though. They are "twitchers"
there to document the sighting of a particular bird. They are more
interested in being able to show that they have captured a rare bird
on film/card than they are in the composition of the photograph.

In general, the photograph album of a dedicated birder is boring to
look at. Great detail, but uninteresting other than the fact that one
shot is of a black-crested whatever and the next shot is of a
red-crested whatever. Like stuffed and mounted animal heads on the
wall, there is no sense of nature in the photographs. Just bird mug
shots.

I was taking a shot of a tree containing a number of weaver nests, and
a birder was making fun of my lens saying that I could never get a
good shot of a weaver with it. He didn't understand that it was the
tree and the nests that appealed to me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Ray Fischer

tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:53:39 +1100, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Why do you think you need such a long lens? Friends of mine on safari
>>> have done well with much less -- the guides got them pretty close.

>>And there is nothing to indicate that his guides will do the same.
>>
>>Long is good in this situation but I would personally go for an IS lens and
>>choose the 70-300mm IS.
>>

>My wife and I vacationed in Kenya in 1988. Did the game parks and
>Tree Tops. I was using film then, and carried two lenses. My "long"
>lens was a 200mm. With the exception of Tree Tops - where you
>photograph animals at the water hole from the lodge - I used my 55mm
>lens almost exclusively. The animal life is best photographed as part
>of the scenery. You really aren't looking for up-close shots that
>show the whiskers. You can get that with a visit to a zoo at home.

A good point. What lenses to take depends greatly upon what kind of
photos he likes to take. If he likes the broader landscape photos
then a long telephoto isn't helpful. I'd still take the 70-300 just
because there's almost always the occasional need to zoom in.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Paul Furman

Ray Fischer wrote:
> tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> My wife and I vacationed in Kenya in 1988. Did the game parks and
>> Tree Tops. I was using film then, and carried two lenses. My "long"
>> lens was a 200mm. With the exception of Tree Tops - where you
>> photograph animals at the water hole from the lodge - I used my 55mm
>> lens almost exclusively. The animal life is best photographed as part
>> of the scenery. You really aren't looking for up-close shots that
>> show the whiskers. You can get that with a visit to a zoo at home.

> A good point. What lenses to take depends greatly upon what kind of
> photos he likes to take. If he likes the broader landscape photos
> then a long telephoto isn't helpful. I'd still take the 70-300 just
> because there's almost always the occasional need to zoom in.

It had not occurred to me you wouldn't need a long lens, being close &
showing the surroundings is great. There are still some neat effects you
can do with a long lens though like 'compressing the perspective' to
bring a distant mountain range closer in the background.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net