Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Question on URL's

Question on URL's

Dave C.

Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
guess it is something with my system.

http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...omeade-gnocchi

This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
also.

I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

Hope someone has some suggestions.

Dave C.

sandy58

On Dec 20, 5:24*pm, "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
> screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."
>
> The site below is an example of this. *Other computer systems work
> correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. *I
> guess it is something with my system.
>
> http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...omeade-gnocchi
>
> This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.
>
> My cookies and security are set to default. *I have shut of my McAfee
> also.
>
> I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2
>
> Hope someone has some suggestions.
>
> Dave C.

More likely ghost or dead links...

Jeff Strickland

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
> screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."
>
> The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
> correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
> guess it is something with my system.
>
> http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...omeade-gnocchi
>
> This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.
>
> My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
> also.
>
> I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2
>
> Hope someone has some suggestions.
>
> Dave C.

More likely ghost or dead links...

<JS>
That's what I was thinking too, but he did say that other machines connect
to the URL correctly. I get the same on my machine -- blank screen with DONE
on the Status Bar -- on some sites. I've not looked at the link he gave us,
but I've seen the same as he complains about, I just chalk it up to a flaky
address and move on.

</JS>

Dave C.

On Dec 20, 3:34*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
> > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

> > The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
> > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
> > guess it is something with my system.

> >http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...omeade-gnocchi

> > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

> > My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
> > also.

> > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

> > Hope someone has some suggestions.

> > Dave C.

> More likely ghost or dead links...
>
> <JS>
> That's what I was thinking too, but he did say that other machines connect
> to the URL correctly. I get the same on my machine -- blank screen with DONE
> on the Status Bar -- on some sites. I've not looked at the link he gave us,
> but I've seen the same as he complains about, I just chalk it up to a flaky
> address and move on.
>
> </JS>- Hide quoted text -

Well, Jeff, I agree that I'll move on with other importment things to
do. This does not happen too often but enough for me to wonder. I
also tried www.bitchencamero.com by itself which did not work either.
I doublechecked with my daughter (the source of the url) and on her
system and her friends system, it comes up OK.

Dave C.

Jeff Strickland

"Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Dec 20, 3:34 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
> > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

> > The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
> > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
> > guess it is something with my system.

> >http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...omeade-gnocchi

> > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

> > My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
> > also.

> > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

> > Hope someone has some suggestions.

> > Dave C.

> More likely ghost or dead links...
>
> <JS>
> That's what I was thinking too, but he did say that other machines connect
> to the URL correctly. I get the same on my machine -- blank screen with
> DONE
> on the Status Bar -- on some sites. I've not looked at the link he gave
> us,
> but I've seen the same as he complains about, I just chalk it up to a
> flaky
> address and move on.
>
> </JS>- Hide quoted text -

Well, Jeff, I agree that I'll move on with other importment things to
do. This does not happen too often but enough for me to wonder. I
also tried www.bitchencamero.com by itself which did not work either.
I doublechecked with my daughter (the source of the url) and on her
system and her friends system, it comes up OK.

Dave C.

<JS>
Interestingly enough, it also works for me. That suggests that your computer
is having issues that I can't explain because I've always written this kind
of thing off as a problem with the site itself, not with my machine.

</JS

Dave C.

On Dec 20, 5:41*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 20, 3:34 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
> > > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

> > > The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
> > > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
> > > guess it is something with my system.

> > >http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...omeade-gnocchi

> > > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

> > > My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
> > > also.

> > > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

> > > Hope someone has some suggestions.

> > > Dave C.

> > More likely ghost or dead links...

> > <JS>
> > That's what I was thinking too, but he did say that other machines connect
> > to the URL correctly. I get the same on my machine -- blank screen with
> > DONE
> > on the Status Bar -- on some sites. I've not looked at the link he gave
> > us,
> > but I've seen the same as he complains about, I just chalk it up to a
> > flaky
> > address and move on.

> > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

> Well, Jeff, I agree that I'll move on with other importment things to
> do. *This does not happen too often but enough for me to wonder. *I
> also triedwww.bitchencamero.comby itself which did not work either.
> I doublechecked with my daughter (the source of the url) and on her
> system and her friends system, it comes up OK.
>
> Dave C.
>
> <JS>
> Interestingly enough, it also works for me. That suggests that your computer
> is having issues that I can't explain because I've always written this kind
> of thing off as a problem with the site itself, not with my machine.
>
> </JS- Hide quoted text -

I agree with you on this, and since it is infrequent enough, as you
suggest, I'll move on for now.

Thanks, Jeff.

Dave C.

Paul

Dave C. wrote:
> Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
> screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."
>
> The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
> correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
> guess it is something with my system.
>
> http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...omeade-gnocchi
>
> This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.
>
> My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
> also.
>
> I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2
>
> Hope someone has some suggestions.
>
> Dave C.

Maybe you have security software loaded ?

Paul

Dave C.

On Dec 20, 7:26*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dave C. wrote:
> > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
> > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

> > The site below is an example of this. *Other computer systems work
> > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. *I
> > guess it is something with my system.

> >http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...omeade-gnocchi

> > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

> > My cookies and security are set to default. *I have shut of my McAfee
> > also.

> > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

> > Hope someone has some suggestions.

> > Dave C.

> Maybe you have security software loaded ?
>
> * * Paul- Hide quoted text -

I have McAfee and I unchecked the internet security, firewall and
other things on McAfee as well as Windows firewall and it did not seem
to make a difference.

I've done Ad-Aware and Spyware removal, etc., and a few other things I
could think of. It only happens once a month or so, but I guess it is
only the challange that peaks my interest. I'll just keep chipping
away at it. Certainly it is a low priority.

Thanks.

fruitbat

The solution is quite simple.
You have a spelling error.
Try http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/200...emade-gnocchi/
where "homeade" is replaced w ith "homemade". The problem will disappear for
you.