Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Laptop Hard Drive -- REPLACEMENT Question

Laptop Hard Drive -- REPLACEMENT Question

Jeff Strickland

I have an HP Pavilion with a Toshiba MK6026GAX hard drive. The drive has
taken a bye and I have to replace it.

I can plug the new drive in, but I have to buy one first and this is proving
to give me choices I don't know how to choose between.

I know this drive is an ATA100, and has a 60G capacity. Since I have to buy
a new drive, I'm pretty sure I can get more capacity for a small increase in
price. I found an ATA6 with an 80G capacity, also a Toshiba drive in the
same family -- MK8026GAX. I don't understand all that I know relative to the
ATA convention.

The -GAX drives have been discontinued (not surprising), but seem to enjoy
some level of availability. The 60G drive runs to about $57, but I can get
80G for $60. If I can get 120G for $75, that would be a good deal.

How do I determine which other brands of HDD for my laptop will actually
work with it?

Jeff Strickland

news:gij8rj$i4n$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gihh12$e57$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have an HP Pavilion with a Toshiba MK6026GAX hard drive. The drive has
>>taken a bye and I have to replace it.
>>
>> I can plug the new drive in, but I have to buy one first and this is
>> proving to give me choices I don't know how to choose between.
>>
>> I know this drive is an ATA100, and has a 60G capacity. Since I have to
>> buy a new drive, I'm pretty sure I can get more capacity for a small
>> increase in price. I found an ATA6 with an 80G capacity, also a Toshiba
>> drive in the same family -- MK8026GAX. I don't understand all that I know
>> relative to the ATA convention.
>>
>> The -GAX drives have been discontinued (not surprising), but seem to
>> enjoy some level of availability. The 60G drive runs to about $57, but I
>> can get 80G for $60. If I can get 120G for $75, that would be a good
>> deal.
>>
>> How do I determine which other brands of HDD for my laptop will actually
>> work with it?

> to choose your specs from dropdowns, I use:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...hd.asp?gsNav=1
>
> You didn't specify the model number or the HP part number for your current
> drive, but you could check hp.com for parts listing ( just to see what
> THEY offered), or email HP online support , they'll reply.
>
> A good place for laptop info is
> forum.notebookreview.com - it has an upgrade area - a simliar question was
> asked last week:
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=329641
> or
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60708

I did not give the HP part number of the drive because I can pull the drive
out and use the mfg part number. Apparently HP simply buys drives off the
shelf and stuffs tyhem into the box.

Anyhow, I discovered that the drive I have is a member af a family of drives
that are all interchangable in 40G, 60G and 80G versions, all running on an
ATA100 interface. What got me earlier is that one of the specs I found on
the 80G version said ATA-6, but I don't know what that means.

I guess that what I need to figure out is how many other drives there are
that are ATA100 and share the same form-factor so that they physically fit
into the box. I'll check tigerdirect.com and see what they have. Thanks.

Jeff Strickland

The OEM mfg p/n is COMPAQ 359086-001. The drive was built by Toshiba suing
he drive designation I gave earlier.

</toppost>

news:gij8rj$i4n$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gihh12$e57$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have an HP Pavilion with a Toshiba MK6026GAX hard drive. The drive has
>>taken a bye and I have to replace it.
>>
>> I can plug the new drive in, but I have to buy one first and this is
>> proving to give me choices I don't know how to choose between.
>>
>> I know this drive is an ATA100, and has a 60G capacity. Since I have to
>> buy a new drive, I'm pretty sure I can get more capacity for a small
>> increase in price. I found an ATA6 with an 80G capacity, also a Toshiba
>> drive in the same family -- MK8026GAX. I don't understand all that I know
>> relative to the ATA convention.
>>
>> The -GAX drives have been discontinued (not surprising), but seem to
>> enjoy some level of availability. The 60G drive runs to about $57, but I
>> can get 80G for $60. If I can get 120G for $75, that would be a good
>> deal.
>>
>> How do I determine which other brands of HDD for my laptop will actually
>> work with it?

> to choose your specs from dropdowns, I use:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...hd.asp?gsNav=1
>
> You didn't specify the model number or the HP part number for your current
> drive, but you could check hp.com for parts listing ( just to see what
> THEY offered), or email HP online support , they'll reply.
>
> A good place for laptop info is
> forum.notebookreview.com - it has an upgrade area - a simliar question was
> asked last week:
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=329641
> or
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60708

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gijbl0$g4c$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:gij8rj$i4n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gihh12$e57$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have an HP Pavilion with a Toshiba MK6026GAX hard drive. The drive has
>>>taken a bye and I have to replace it.
>>>
>>> I can plug the new drive in, but I have to buy one first and this is
>>> proving to give me choices I don't know how to choose between.
>>>
>>> I know this drive is an ATA100, and has a 60G capacity. Since I have to
>>> buy a new drive, I'm pretty sure I can get more capacity for a small
>>> increase in price. I found an ATA6 with an 80G capacity, also a Toshiba
>>> drive in the same family -- MK8026GAX. I don't understand all that I
>>> know relative to the ATA convention.
>>>
>>> The -GAX drives have been discontinued (not surprising), but seem to
>>> enjoy some level of availability. The 60G drive runs to about $57, but I
>>> can get 80G for $60. If I can get 120G for $75, that would be a good
>>> deal.
>>>
>>> How do I determine which other brands of HDD for my laptop will actually
>>> work with it?

>> to choose your specs from dropdowns, I use:
>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...hd.asp?gsNav=1
>>
>> You didn't specify the model number or the HP part number for your
>> current drive, but you could check hp.com for parts listing ( just to see
>> what THEY offered), or email HP online support , they'll reply.
>>
>> A good place for laptop info is
>> forum.notebookreview.com - it has an upgrade area - a simliar question
>> was asked last week:
>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=329641
>> or
>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60708
>>

> I did not give the HP part number of the drive because I can pull the
> drive out and use the mfg part number. Apparently HP simply buys drives
> off the shelf and stuffs tyhem into the box.

I mentioned HP model numbers because, if you go HP.com or disk drive
sellers website, and enter your PC model number - or the disk drive model
number, you can see if there were maybe 4 drives available and one might be
bigger etc . Let's say alternate drive p/n was 123456-003 , you could then
look for drive sellers websites and enter 123456-003 and THAT site would
show alternatives.

Jeff Strickland

news:gijv1r$5pt$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gijbl0$g4c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:gij8rj$i4n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gihh12$e57$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> to choose your specs from dropdowns, I use:
>>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...hd.asp?gsNav=1
>>>
>>> You didn't specify the model number or the HP part number for your
>>> current drive, but you could check hp.com for parts listing ( just to
>>> see what THEY offered), or email HP online support , they'll reply.
>>>
>>> A good place for laptop info is
>>> forum.notebookreview.com - it has an upgrade area - a simliar question
>>> was asked last week:
>>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=329641
>>> or
>>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60708
>>>

>> I did not give the HP part number of the drive because I can pull the
>> drive out and use the mfg part number. Apparently HP simply buys drives
>> off the shelf and stuffs tyhem into the box.

> I mentioned HP model numbers because, if you go HP.com or disk drive
> sellers website, and enter your PC model number - or the disk drive model
> number, you can see if there were maybe 4 drives available and one might
> be bigger etc . Let's say alternate drive p/n was 123456-003 , you could
> then look for drive sellers websites and enter 123456-003 and THAT site
> would show alternatives.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking the interface speed (ATA-100)
was the spec that controlled my decision.

I have determined that this drive is available in 3 flavors (from Toahiba),
40G, 60G and 80G, all having the same interface speed. I have found larger
capacity drives, but the interface jumps to ATA (or SATA) 300. I can get
greater capacity from Seagate and Western Digital, but the interface speed
goes up too, and I haven't the space or inclination to add a new controller.

GTS

>>> I did not give the HP part number of the drive because I can pull the
>>> drive out and use the mfg part number. Apparently HP simply buys drives
>>> off the shelf and stuffs tyhem into the box.

>> I mentioned HP model numbers because, if you go HP.com or disk drive
>> sellers website, and enter your PC model number - or the disk drive model
>> number, you can see if there were maybe 4 drives available and one might
>> be bigger etc . Let's say alternate drive p/n was 123456-003 , you could
>> then look for drive sellers websites and enter 123456-003 and THAT site
>> would show alternatives.
>>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking the interface speed (ATA-100)
> was the spec that controlled my decision.
>
> I have determined that this drive is available in 3 flavors (from
> Toahiba), 40G, 60G and 80G, all having the same interface speed. I have
> found larger capacity drives, but the interface jumps to ATA (or SATA)
> 300. I can get greater capacity from Seagate and Western Digital, but the
> interface speed goes up too, and I haven't the space or inclination to add
> a new controller.

You can use any standard IDE laptop drive in your HP. Drives with a higher
ATA rating are backward compatible. Just don't order a SATA drive by
mistake. See link for some options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Ultra%20ATA100

GTS

CORRECTED LINK (first was inadvertently desktop drives.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...889&name=ATA-6