Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OK, Next Question.

OK, Next Question.

DLU

dorayme wrote:
> In article <gj5gue$q0j$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> DLU wrote:

> Just remember DLU that it is the dynamic properties of browsers that are
> important to test and you will not easily see these things in static
> screenshots. By dynamic I mean what does the page do under different
> user font settings, under different user size settings etc.

The layout seems to be the factor with IE. We all know it is a piece of
crap no mater what version, but again, people go to Best Buy, or some
computer store, more laptops these days, and it already has windoze
loaded as part of the price. They barely know how to use the browser
not alone get a better one and configure it. The MAC users seem to
actually be better informed than PC users. The design of my site by
Neredbojias is set to account for the variations in size, font and such.
I was unable to see what some people were complaining about when they
viewed the web page. Again, it took someone who could actually describe
what it did erather than just a general description. For instance on
user said she saw two pages and had to go from one to the other. What
she actually saw was the rightbar under the header with a big white
space below, then had to scroll down to see the left side of the page.
As I said, for whatever reason, in IE6, the viewer would not let the
rightbar nest next to leftpart until leftpart was reduced to 99%. Other
browsers did not have this restriction. Changing the width did not
change the view with other browsers but allowed IE6 to see it with
rigtbar nested against leftpart.

He used the boxes with sizes set at % to allow for such variations.
I would have been using pix or em for instance, but I see know why it
does not with size variations.

Now I am looking at one of the sites I link to as I have to make some
changes to it and I can see how poorly it is set up. Just about every
line has inline style. I will take it and see if I can work it over
using CSS to clean it up now that I have some idea of the basics.

http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

Will

dorayme wrote:
> In article <gj5gue$q0j$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>> DLU wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess I should see if I can put a copy of IE6 on this machine in order
>>> to see how it looks when working with these things.

>> You should visit www.browsershots.org - you will find just about every
>> browser and operating system configuration available. Brilliant for
>> checking out alterations to sites prior to making them "live".
>>
>> As usual, I have no connection with that site!

> Nonsense, I have men out spying for me and you have been seen cavorting
> around at browsershots.org headquarters, receiving free drinks, cake and
> boxed sets of the IE browser.
>
> Just remember DLU that it is the dynamic properties of browsers that are
> important to test and you will not easily see these things in static
> screenshots. By dynamic I mean what does the page do under different
> user font settings, under different user size settings etc.

I nominated that site as DLU noted that he ought to get a copy of IE6
installed on his pc, which as I understand it, is not a straightforward
task if one wishes to run it alongside IE7.

You are correct of course that it is useful to have a "hands on" setup,
in which one can alter setting "live" so to speak, but I have found that
if there is a problem with something on my sites, it tends to show on
the static results of that site.

I always run new versions of my pages through the validators first in
any case, which picks up most of my lapses.

I'll crawl back under my stone now

--
Regards,

Will.

dorayme

In article <gj6bpq$n2u$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I'll crawl back under my stone now

No need, I was only joking with you. Browsershots is a great facility
and you were right to mention it.

--
dorayme

rf

Will wrote:

> I nominated that site as DLU noted that he ought to get a copy of IE6
> installed on his pc, which as I understand it, is not a
> straightforward task if one wishes to run it alongside IE7.

It is quite straightforward.

Google multipleie

Will

rf wrote:
> Will wrote:
>
>> I nominated that site as DLU noted that he ought to get a copy of IE6
>> installed on his pc, which as I understand it, is not a
>> straightforward task if one wishes to run it alongside IE7.

> It is quite straightforward.
>
> Google multipleie

Hi, I wasn't aware of that. However, After a quick look, it appears that
it only works on XP ( I do have that, but principal PC runs Vista -
(runs away n hides)).

I did see also that it is prone to crashing - how microsoft, lol.

However, I run Firefox with lots of bells n whistles, so IE is only of
academic interest. Bloody frustrating, too, it is on occasion

I've just discovered Safari on windows, another new toy

--
Regards,

Will.

rf

Will wrote:
> rf wrote:
>> Will wrote:
>>
>>> I nominated that site as DLU noted that he ought to get a copy of
>>> IE6 installed on his pc, which as I understand it, is not a
>>> straightforward task if one wishes to run it alongside IE7.

>> It is quite straightforward.
>>
>> Google multipleie
>>

> Hi, I wasn't aware of that. However, After a quick look, it appears
> that it only works on XP ( I do have that, but principal PC runs
> Vista - (runs away n hides)).

The best thing you can do with vista is to format your disk and install XP.
Unless, of course, you don't want to install any third party software or
hardware.

> I did see also that it is prone to crashing - how microsoft, lol.
>
> However, I run Firefox with lots of bells n whistles, so IE is only of
> academic interest. Bloody frustrating, too, it is on occasion

Not when the majority of viewers out there useit.

BootNic

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 00:44:51 GMT
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
<7_z5l.5064$(E-Mail Removed)>

> Will wrote:
>> rf wrote:
>>> Will wrote:

[snip]

>> Hi, I wasn't aware of that. However, After a quick look, it
>> appears that it only works on XP ( I do have that, but principal PC
>> runs Vista - (runs away n hides)).

> The best thing you can do with vista is to format your disk and
> install XP. Unless, of course, you don't want to install any third
> party software or hardware.

Virtual PC 2007
Microsoft site: http://tinyurl.com/6j9zvv

Internet Explorer Application Compatibility VPC Image
Microsoft site: http://tinyurl.com/srgtw

[snip]

--

BootNic Sat Dec 27, 2008 08:52 pm
Good habits result from resisting temptation.

Bergamot

DLU wrote:

> As I said, for whatever reason, in IE6, the viewer would not let the
> rightbar nest next to leftpart until leftpart was reduced to 99%.
>
> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

I bet the culprit is really the extra 3% padding you added to div.r:

..r {
float: left;
width: 45.5%;
padding-right: 3%; padding-left: 3%;
}

Formerly:
..r {
float: right;
width: 45.5%;
padding-right: 3%; /* 48.5% leaves 1.5% left margin */
}

You also changed the float:right to float:left. I don't know why, but no
matter. You need to get rid of one of those paddings, because that's
what's making it go over 100%. Once you do that, you should be able to
put div.leftpart back to 100%.

--
Berg

DLU

Bergamot wrote:

> DLU wrote:
>>
>> As I said, for whatever reason, in IE6, the viewer would not let the
>> rightbar nest next to leftpart until leftpart was reduced to 99%.
>>
>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

> I bet the culprit is really the extra 3% padding you added to div.r:
>
> .r {
> float: left;
> width: 45.5%;
> padding-right: 3%; padding-left: 3%;
> }
>
> Formerly:
> .r {
> float: right;
> width: 45.5%;
> padding-right: 3%; /* 48.5% leaves 1.5% left margin */
> }
>
> You also changed the float:right to float:left. I don't know why, but no
> matter. You need to get rid of one of those paddings, because that's
> what's making it go over 100%. Once you do that, you should be able to
> put div.leftpart back to 100%.

There are two .l CSS. I do not know how that happened.
Now they add up to 99.5%
I commented one of them out.

..l {
float: left;
width: 45.5%;
padding-left: 2.5%; /* 48% leaves 2% right "margin" */
}
..r {
float: left;
width: 45.5%;
padding-right: 3%; padding-left: 3%;
}

I floated the right box to the left as it made the distance between the
two look more consistent with the distance of the rightbar.
The div.leftpart was the problem with IE6, as was the .disclaim.
I checked it at: www.browsershots.org and it works with IE5 also.

I also removed the padding from .disclaim which reduced the white space
below the header.
--