Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OK, Next Question.

OK, Next Question.

DLU

Els wrote:

>> You need to show the committe member this post. As I said, the title
>> element is not guaranteed to attract someone's attention, and it is not
>> considered link text be search engines (very important). You could
>> maybe do one of those Yahoo style popups, although I find them very
>> annoying and they will not work for users without javascript.

> Or a CSS style floating box:
>
> <a class="special" href="http://www.tuleyome.org/"><span
> class="hoverbox">Protecting the Putah &amp; Cach Creeks
>
> in CSS:
> a.special{
> position:relative;
> }
> a.special span.hoverbox{
> position:absolute;
> left:100%;
> top:100%;
> width:10em;
> background:white;
> font-family:Arial,sans-serif;
> font-size:75%;
> font-weight:bold;
> padding:3px;
> border:1px solid silver;
> display:none;
> }
> a.special:hover span.hoverbox{
> display:block;
> }

That works really nice. Thanks.

And for Neredbojias I took out all the target="_blank" commands.

Now my question is: what is the purpose of the a. before the special in
the CSS. I have read HTML dog several times but just do not seem to be
able to see the connection. I have to find a book on CSS. Guess I will
head off the Fry's and see what they have today. Trouble with going
there is I see other things that cost me money.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

Els

DLU wrote:

> Els wrote:
>
>>> You need to show the committe member this post. As I said, the title
>>> element is not guaranteed to attract someone's attention, and it is not
>>> considered link text be search engines (very important). You could
>>> maybe do one of those Yahoo style popups, although I find them very
>>> annoying and they will not work for users without javascript.

>> Or a CSS style floating box:
>>
>> <a class="special" href="http://www.tuleyome.org/"><span
>> class="hoverbox">Protecting the Putah &amp; Cach Creeks
>>
>> in CSS:
>> a.special{
>> position:relative;
>> }
>> a.special span.hoverbox{
>> position:absolute;
>> left:100%;
>> top:100%;
>> width:10em;
>> background:white;
>> font-family:Arial,sans-serif;
>> font-size:75%;
>> font-weight:bold;
>> padding:3px;
>> border:1px solid silver;
>> display:none;
>> }
>> a.special:hover span.hoverbox{
>> display:block;
>> }

> That works really nice. Thanks.
>
> And for Neredbojias I took out all the target="_blank" commands.
>
> Now my question is: what is the purpose of the a. before the special in
> the CSS. I have read HTML dog several times but just do not seem to be
> able to see the connection.

The 'a' refers to the 'a' element. As in <a href...>

Without the 'a', you would be referring to any other element that also
had the class special.

> I have to find a book on CSS. Guess I will
> head off the Fry's and see what they have today. Trouble with going
> there is I see other things that cost me money.

Guess you will have to exercise some will power if you don't want to
spend more

You don't really need a book though - all the info is available
online. When I first started using CSS, I learned a lot from Eric
Meyer's site: http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/
As you can see on that page, he's also written books on the subject,
so if you prefer a book, I'd have a look at those.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

dorayme

In article <5856a$494d44de$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> > If you have something relevant to say, say it. Don't hide it in an
> > attribute of an element. If it's not relevant, don't say it. In a few
> > borderline cases, the title attribute is useful but only for making it
> > clearer what the link points to, such as spelling out an abbreviation if
> > you are using an abbreviation as link text (hopefully for some good
> > reason). Using the title attribute for advertisements or slogans is just
> > pointless (it does not work) or worse (causes irritation).
> >

> Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?

Korpela is talking about simple straightforward solid ways of doing
things that communicate well and are as rock solid as you get across
browsers. If you do things otherwise, with fancy footwork, it can
actually damage this solidity of performance and communication. It was a
simple point.

> I am working to get the link to look like one of the people in the
> organization would like it to look, or at least like she thinks she
> would like it to look. If that is what the owner of the site wants, that
> is what they will get.

This issue about clients has been gone over a fair bit. You need to take
clients in hand in an authoritative way. Hire a big black car and pile
men into it and go around and see your client... They *will* appreciate
being so vigorously looked after. Refer to your practice as your Client
Pampering Service.

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

DLU wrote:

> Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?

You have clearly expressed your comprehensional difficulties and your
willingness to misbehave by continuing to violate most netiquette items. So
don't expect any more explanations.

> I am working to get the link to look like one of the people in the
> organization would like it to look, or at least like she thinks she
> would like it to look. If that is what the owner of the site wants,
> that is what they will get.

Apparently not from you, it seems. Maybe you should tell them to hire a
person who can do what they want. (In fact they might prefer a person who
instead does what they need, but they just don't know that yet.)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

mynameisnobodyodyssea@googlemail.com

I agree with Jukka and others that it is better to keep things simple
with <a> links. The anchor text is important both to people and search
engines,
and it is better not to ask of people to hover over a link in order to
see what it is about.

DLU

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> DLU wrote:
>
>> Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?

> You have clearly expressed your comprehensional difficulties and your
> willingness to misbehave by continuing to violate most netiquette items.
> So don't expect any more explanations.

I certainly have a problem comprehending your opprobrium. You seem to
have your own view of nettiquette. Maybe it is the Nordic culture but
most of us are a bit more tolerant of simple errors.

I got some good explanations from the others here, they have been most
helpful and courteous.

>> I am working to get the link to look like one of the people in the
>> organization would like it to look, or at least like she thinks she
>> would like it to look. If that is what the owner of the site wants,
>> that is what they will get.

> Apparently not from you, it seems. Maybe you should tell them to hire a
> person who can do what they want. (In fact they might prefer a person
> who instead does what they need, but they just don't know that yet.)

We are all volunteers on this committee, no one gets paid except those
who print the newsletters. I do not tell them what they should want, I
set it up and ask them if they like it. We do not need people who say,
"We have ways to make you like this." If these people think something
related to them would look better a certain way, I try to accommodate
them. So far I have not heard any complaints, a few corrections and
suggestions, but the committee members like it. The steering committee
has the final say and that is that.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

DLU

> I agree with Jukka and others that it is better to keep things simple
> with <a> links. The anchor text is important both to people and search
> engines,
> and it is better not to ask of people to hover over a link in order to
> see what it is about.

I put it up for them to look at and if they like the hover then they get
it. Up to now all the links have been <li><a> links, but it did not show
the particular organizations name and I am trying to keep the text
short, one line if possible.

I thought they were pretty simple, except the Tuleomey people wanted
the organizations name presented. I do this for low pay and few perks,
like I get to buy my own gas to travel to CNRCC meetings in San Luis
Obispo, and pay for the food also.

http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/
--
***************************************

On Dec 20, 11:40 pm, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I thought they were pretty simple, except the Tuleomey people wanted
> the organizations name presented.

You could write something like

<h2>Tuleyome</h2>
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.tuleyome. org/">Saving Putah and Cach Creeks</
a></li>
.... more links...
</ul>

or <li><a href="http://www.tuleyome. org/">Tuleyome - Saving Putah and
Cach Creeks</a></li>

Keep in mind that text within heading tags (like <h2> or <h3>) has
good visibility both for people and search engines.

I still think it is better not to rely on people mouse-hovering
over links to see what the links are about,
this is also an accessibility issue,
not to mention people using mobile phone browsers.....

DLU

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Dec 20, 11:40 pm, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I thought they were pretty simple, except the Tuleomey people wanted
>> the organizations name presented.

> You could write something like
>
> <h2>Tuleyome</h2>
> <ul>
> <li><a href="http://www.tuleyome. org/">Saving Putah and Cach Creeks</
> a></li>
> ... more links...
> </ul>

Good way to go, that makes it pretty simple.

> or <li><a href="http://www.tuleyome. org/">Tuleyome - Saving Putah and
> Cach Creeks</a></li>

Again, the reason I wanted to get away from this is to keep the link on
one line.

> Keep in mind that text within heading tags (like <h2> or <h3>) has
> good visibility both for people and search engines.
>
> I still think it is better not to rely on people mouse-hovering
> over links to see what the links are about,
> this is also an accessibility issue,
> not to mention people using mobile phone browsers.....

Or Blackberrys also I guess.
Since I have a phone that makes and takes calls mostly, I did not
consider the roving user.
--
***************************************

On 20 Dec 2008, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Els wrote:
> <snip>
>> in CSS:
>> a.special{
>> position:relative;
>> }
>> a.special span.hoverbox{
>> position:absolute;
>> left:100%;
>> top:100%;
>> width:10em;
>> background:white;
>> font-family:Arial,sans-serif;
>> font-size:75%;
>> font-weight:bold;
>> padding:3px;
>> border:1px solid silver;
>> display:none;
>> }
>> a.special:hover span.hoverbox{
>> display:block;
>> }

> That works really nice. Thanks.

I was intending to propose basically the same tactic but Els beat me to
it. Drat!

> And for Neredbojias I took out all the target="_blank" commands.

Good man.

> Now my question is: what is the purpose of the a. before the special
> in the CSS. I have read HTML dog several times but just do not seem
> to be able to see the connection. I have to find a book on CSS.
> Guess I will head off the Fry's and see what they have today.
> Trouble with going there is I see other things that cost me money.

Just means "anchor". For instance, "a.crap" means any anchor with the
class "crap" but nothing else even with the same class.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/