Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Well that's a new trick

Well that's a new trick

Bluuuue Rajah

I just tried to download Darlele Love's excellent Christmas song, "All
Alone This Christmas," with Limewire, and was surprised when it tried to
install a virus on my PC. Normally I'm quite adept at distinguishing the
thinl disguised viri from the useful content, but this time the malware
designers fooled me. They managed to make the file lok like it had the
correct length for a three minute pop song, and they managed to translate
my search string "nobody alone christmas" into "Darlene Love - All Alone
This Chritsmas." I wonder how they did that, and what I should do (besides
the obvious of keeping my AV s/w current) to identify the disguised
viruses, when I'm downloading with P2P music.

Herman Jurjus

Bluuuue Rajah wrote:
> I just tried to download Darlele Love's excellent Christmas song, "All
> Alone This Christmas," with Limewire, and was surprised when it tried to
> install a virus on my PC. Normally I'm quite adept at distinguishing the
> thinl disguised viri from the useful content, but this time the malware
> designers fooled me. They managed to make the file lok like it had the
> correct length for a three minute pop song, and they managed to translate
> my search string "nobody alone christmas" into "Darlene Love - All Alone
> This Chritsmas." I wonder how they did that, and what I should do (besides
> the obvious of keeping my AV s/w current) to identify the disguised
> viruses, when I'm downloading with P2P music.

Would you be so kind to remove 'sci.math' for posts like this?
Thank you!

--
Cheers,
Herman Jurjus

richard

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:41:15 -1000, wetpixel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <Xns9B79703B96735fdgdfjhsrtg@207.115.17.102>, Bluuuue Rajah
><Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote:
>
>> I just tried to download Darlele Love's excellent Christmas song, "All
>> Alone This Christmas," with Limewire, and was surprised when it tried to
>> install a virus on my PC. Normally I'm quite adept at distinguishing the
>> thinl disguised viri from the useful content, but this time the malware
>> designers fooled me. They managed to make the file lok like it had the
>> correct length for a three minute pop song, and they managed to translate
>> my search string "nobody alone christmas" into "Darlene Love - All Alone
>> This Chritsmas." I wonder how they did that, and what I should do (besides
>> the obvious of keeping my AV s/w current) to identify the disguised
>> viruses, when I'm downloading with P2P music.

>Do you not understand that getting music that way is illegal?
>
>Or that you are required to post _only_ to the correct groups for your
>question?

Oh please mister wannabe matlock.
filesharing is NOT illegal. Courts have said so.
if it were, the internet would not exist.

Only the RIAA says it is illegal. Then, they won't even prosecute
unless they know for a fact you have more 1,000 known copyrighted
tunes that you did acquire that way.

Notice the word "copyright"?
Before you go mouthing off, please read the material at the official
USA copyright office.

Then come back and tell me just how illegal obtaining any music that
way is illegal.

Then, if that way is illegal, isn't posting the same material to
youtube just as illegal?

richard

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:57:22 GMT, Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.>
wrote:

>I just tried to download Darlele Love's excellent Christmas song, "All
>Alone This Christmas," with Limewire, and was surprised when it tried to
>install a virus on my PC. Normally I'm quite adept at distinguishing the
>thinl disguised viri from the useful content, but this time the malware
>designers fooled me. They managed to make the file lok like it had the
>correct length for a three minute pop song, and they managed to translate
>my search string "nobody alone christmas" into "Darlene Love - All Alone
>This Chritsmas." I wonder how they did that, and what I should do (besides
>the obvious of keeping my AV s/w current) to identify the disguised
>viruses, when I'm downloading with P2P music.

Limewire apparently uses a search enging similar to google.
In which any word in the search string is matched, not just the
phrase. so it found a match for "alone christmas". you probably didn't
look closely at the listing.

When I have done p2p and got plenty of hits, I usually sort the list
by artist.

So why go to limewire?
I found the tune on youtube with no problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdvjI9aUqhY
now rip the mp3 and no virus.

smlunatick

On Dec 19, 3:57*pm, Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote:
> I just tried to download Darlele Love's excellent Christmas song, "All
> Alone This Christmas," with Limewire, and was surprised when it tried to
> install a virus on my PC. *Normally I'm quite adept at distinguishing the
> thinl disguised viri from the useful content, but this time the malware
> designers fooled me. *They managed to make the file lok like it had the
> correct length for a three minute pop song, and they managed to translate
> my search string "nobody alone christmas" into "Darlene Love - All Alone
> This Chritsmas." *I wonder how they did that, and what I should do (besides
> the obvious of keeping my AV s/w current) to identify the disguised
> viruses, when I'm downloading with P2P music.

It has been widely published, on the news, that a lot of P2P networks
are riddled with viruses. Some even "pushed" by the RIAA in hopes of
getting back the details of those who share copyright materials so
they can go after them in the courts.

Evan Platt

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:59:30 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Oh please mister wannabe matlock.
>filesharing is NOT illegal. Courts have said so.

Yeah it is. Why don't you share a few hundred movies and let us know
how it works out for you?

>if it were, the internet would not exist.

Oh, that statement makes sense. If guns could be used to kill people,
and killing people is illegal, guns wouldn't exist, right?

>Only the RIAA says it is illegal.

Gee, good enough for me.

>Then, they won't even prosecute
>unless they know for a fact you have more 1,000 known copyrighted
>tunes that you did acquire that way.

Because it's not worth their time. That doesn't mean it's not illegal.

>Notice the word "copyright"?
>Before you go mouthing off, please read the material at the official
>USA copyright office.

Sounds like you need to read it too.

>Then come back and tell me just how illegal obtaining any music that
>way is illegal.
>
>Then, if that way is illegal, isn't posting the same material to
>youtube just as illegal?

Yes.

I've had a few youtube videos deleted because they violated copyright.
Most were short clips and I likely could have argued fair use / parody
rights, but it's not worth my time.

zvnteq7

Bluuuue Rajah wrote:
> I just tried to download Darlele Love's excellent Christmas song, "All
> Alone This Christmas," with Limewire, and was surprised when it tried to
> install a virus on my PC. Normally I'm quite adept at distinguishing the
> thinl disguised viri from the useful content, but this time the malware
> designers fooled me. They managed to make the file lok like it had the
> correct length for a three minute pop song, and they managed to translate
> my search string "nobody alone christmas" into "Darlene Love - All Alone
> This Chritsmas." I wonder how they did that, and what I should do (besides
> the obvious of keeping my AV s/w current) to identify the disguised
> viruses, when I'm downloading with P2P music.

download Souleek and use that instead, I've never encountered a virus.

DevilsPGD

In message <191220080741150411%(E-Mail Removed)> wetpixel
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>Do you not understand that getting music that way is illegal?

That depends on your jurisdiction. The supreme court has ruled that
downloading music from the internet is legal here, and is an exception
to copyright law.

My "here" is probably different then yours, but assuming you're in the
US, just remember that we're bigger, we're on top, and we still have our
freedoms up here.

Bluuuue Rajah

smlunatick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Dec 19, 3:57*pm, Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote:
>> I just tried to download Darlele Love's excellent Christmas song,
>> "All Alone This Christmas," with Limewire, and was surprised when it
>> tried to install a virus on my PC. *Normally I'm quite adept at
>> distinguishing t

> he
>> thinl disguised viri from the useful content, but this time the
>> malware designers fooled me. *They managed to make the file lok like
>> it had the correct length for a three minute pop song, and they
>> managed to translate my search string "nobody alone christmas" into
>> "Darlene Love - All Alone This Chritsmas." *I wonder how they did
>> that, and what I should do (bes

> ides
>> the obvious of keeping my AV s/w current) to identify the disguised
>> viruses, when I'm downloading with P2P music.

> It has been widely published, on the news, that a lot of P2P networks
> are riddled with viruses. Some even "pushed" by the RIAA in hopes of
> getting back the details of those who share copyright materials so
> they can go after them in the courts.

If that's the case, they've opened themselves up to jail time, and it
just reinforces everybody's opionion that the RIAA are a bunch of
criminals who were stealing from us, before P2P came along and allowed
us to return the favor.

Bluuuue Rajah

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:57:22 GMT, Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.>
> wrote:
>

>>I just tried to download Darlele Love's excellent Christmas song, "All
>>Alone This Christmas," with Limewire, and was surprised when it tried
>>to install a virus on my PC. Normally I'm quite adept at
>>distinguishing the thinl disguised viri from the useful content, but
>>this time the malware designers fooled me. They managed to make the
>>file lok like it had the correct length for a three minute pop song,
>>and they managed to translate my search string "nobody alone
>>christmas" into "Darlene Love - All Alone This Chritsmas." I wonder
>>how they did that, and what I should do (besides the obvious of
>>keeping my AV s/w current) to identify the disguised viruses, when I'm
>>downloading with P2P music.

> Limewire apparently uses a search enging similar to google.
> In which any word in the search string is matched, not just the
> phrase. so it found a match for "alone christmas". you probably didn't
> look closely at the listing.

Apparently you didn't look closely at my post, because I addressed this
issue.

> When I have done p2p and got plenty of hits, I usually sort the list
> by artist.
>
> So why go to limewire?
> I found the tune on youtube with no problem.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdvjI9aUqhY
> now rip the mp3 and no virus.

Since when does Youtube post naked audio, with no attached video track?