Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Very Slow PythonWin 2.6.1 Startup on Windows XP SP3

Very Slow PythonWin 2.6.1 Startup on Windows XP SP3

David Lees

PythonWin used to startup in a second or two on my Windows XP desktop.
now it takes around 20 seconds. I tried turning off Google Desktop
indexing and Norton AV, but it still takes a long time to start. Other
random apps such as Firefox 3.0 (which I just updated to) and
Thunderbird have normal startup times.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to speed up Python startup?

David Lees

MC

Hi!

Perhaps, if you copy DLL in others strategic places, it's better...

--
@-salutations

Michel Claveau

David Lees

Allan wrote:
> David Lees <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> PythonWin used to startup in a second or two on my Windows XP
>> desktop. now it takes around 20 seconds. I tried turning off Google
>> Desktop indexing and Norton AV, but it still takes a long time to
>> start. Other random apps such as Firefox 3.0 (which I just updated
>> to) and Thunderbird have normal startup times.

> What happens if you just open a Python command window; is it much
> faster? On my computer which is seven years old (HP Pavilion desktop,
> 512 MB RAM) it takes less than ten seconds for PythonWin to open. You
> might try reinstalling PythonWin.

I just uninstalled all copies of Python from my system(2.5, 2.6 and
3.0), along with their corresponding PythonWin. Then I downloaded and
installed Python 2.6.1 and PythonWin build 212. Now Python starts up
nearly instantly. Thanks for the suggestion.

David