Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Thumbnail gif Question.

Thumbnail gif Question.

DLU

How do you reduce the bit count when making a thumbnail gif?
Expression web will automatically make a thumbnail but it does not seem
to reduce the program size. The Clover valley photo on my site is the
one I am trying to reduce. The gif is 364.37 KB, the gifs above it are
as little as 5.36 KB.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

dorayme

In article <e666$494b2147$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do you reduce the bit count when making a thumbnail gif?

You open it in an image editor, you reduce the pixel dimensions to
thumbnail size and then you open the other barrel and compress it or
format it (jpg or png or gif). I have seen muscular pictures totally
humbled and reduced to tearful modesty after being thus shot.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

DLU wrote:
> How do you reduce the bit count when making a thumbnail gif?

By reducing pixel dimensions, reducing number of colors in palette, not
dithering, or a combination of all of these factors.

> Expression web will automatically make a thumbnail but it does not seem
> to reduce the program size.

Is Expression web actually resampling the image or just constraining
with HTML width & height attributes?

> The Clover valley photo on my site is the one I am trying to reduce.

What site? You have not supplied a URL!

> The gif is 364.37 KB,

Ugh!

> the gifs above it are as little as 5.36 KB.

Maybe GIF is not the *best* format, JPG has much better compression and
works best with "photographic" full color images...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

DLU

Bergamot wrote:

> DLU wrote:
>> How do you reduce the bit count when making a thumbnail gif?

> Load it into your graphics editor and resize it. If you don't have one
> there are freebies you can download, 3 that come to mind are irfanview,
> xnview and gimp.
>
>> Expression web will automatically make a thumbnail but it does not
>> seem to reduce the program size. The Clover valley photo on my site
>> is the one I am trying to reduce. The gif is 364.37 KB, the gifs above
>> it are as little as 5.36 KB.

> FYI, gif is usually not a good format for photographic content. It only
> supports 256 colors. The quality will be poor and the file size (in KB)
> unnecessarily large. Stick with jpg. A properly dimensioned and
> compressed jpg will be a fraction of the gif size, and better quality.

I figured it out with MS Image composer.
I can make any of the formats, just have never played around with it
before. I think all the auto function does is constrain the dimensions
although it had to reduce the pixel count to get to the 346 KB.

I forgot to post the URL:
http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

--
***************************************

Bergamot wrote:

> FYI, gif is usually not a good format for photographic content. It only
> supports 256 colors. The quality will be poor and the file size (in KB)
> unnecessarily large. Stick with jpg. A properly dimensioned and
> compressed jpg will be a fraction of the gif size, and better quality.

Yes I actually did make the pic a jpg. When saving it in image composer
I ad several choices. The gif is the smallest but the difference is
only 6 KB, not enough to slow it down that much.

I also set the view if you click on the image to show the full size
original. If you are on dial up it might take a bit more time.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

Neredbojias

On 18 Dec 2008, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bergamot wrote:
>>

>> FYI, gif is usually not a good format for photographic content. It
>> only supports 256 colors. The quality will be poor and the file size
>> (in KB) unnecessarily large. Stick with jpg. A properly dimensioned
>> and compressed jpg will be a fraction of the gif size, and better
>> quality.
>>

> Yes I actually did make the pic a jpg. When saving it in image
> composer I ad several choices. The gif is the smallest but the
> difference is only 6 KB, not enough to slow it down that much.
>
> I also set the view if you click on the image to show the full size
> original. If you are on dial up it might take a bit more time.

Get rid of the target="_blank" attribute. It's not valid with a strict
4.01 doctype anyway.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

Bergamot

DLU wrote:
> Bergamot wrote:
>>
>> FYI, gif is usually not a good format for photographic content.
>>

> Yes I actually did make the pic a jpg. When saving it in image composer
> I ad several choices. The gif is the smallest but the difference is
> only 6 KB, not enough to slow it down that much.

It depends on the picture. Gif only supports 256 colors, so a photo with
a limited number of colors will end up a smaller file than one with more
variety. Either way, jpg is still overall a better choice for photos.

--
Berg

DLU

Neredbojias wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2008, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Bergamot wrote:
>>>

> Get rid of the target="_blank" attribute. It's not valid with a strict
> 4.01 doctype anyway.

What can I use in its place to have the link open in a new page?

--
***************************************

DLU wrote:
> Neredbojias wrote:
>> On 18 Dec 2008, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Bergamot wrote:
>>>>

>> Get rid of the target="_blank" attribute. It's not valid with a strict
>> 4.01 doctype anyway.

> What can I use in its place to have the link open in a new page?

You don't.

Let your user decide, they may want to open the link in a new tab, or
new window by right-clicking, or not! Their choice. If the link opens
in the same window and if your page is "good" enough they can ways hit
the back button to return.

why opening links in new window bad web design - Google Search

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> DLU wrote:
>> Neredbojias wrote:

>>> Get rid of the target="_blank" attribute. It's not valid with a strict
>>> 4.01 doctype anyway.

>> What can I use in its place to have the link open in a new page?
>>

> You don't.
>
> Let your user decide, they may want to open the link in a new tab, or
> new window by right-clicking, or not! Their choice. If the link opens
> in the same window and if your page is "good" enough they can ways hit
> the back button to return.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
>
> why opening links in new window bad web design - Google Search

A survey of my users showed that they like the setup where they do not
have to go back. They like being able to have the main page open and a
second one with it. I think it is actually sell confusing to most of
them. Again, these are not sophisticated users, just people looking for
information, or meeting schedules and such. Very few of them even know
what USENET is. Occasionally a a meeting I have shown someone a USENET
group when they wanted some kind of information and they were astounded
that such a medium even exists.

Also, there may be other legitimate reasons for having a link open in a
second window. I find it odd, that not provision has been made for that.

--