Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Why Parsing Error for Link href not found in XHTML

Re: Why Parsing Error for Link href not found in XHTML

Chaddy2222

On Dec 20, 1:16*am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Seni Seven
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:Xns9B78C98C730D6SSca@
> 207.115.33.102:
>

> >> Beats me. Why don't you stick to HTML? Most of us do.

> > Because there are a few cases where developers do the markup in HTML

> and
> > do not get the results they want and can't tell what is going on, and

> if
> > they do the markup in XHMTL, they are pointed to the problem quite
> > quickly.

> Yes, where XHTML is served as XHTML and the XML is not well formed you
> will get an error. With XHTML served as txt/html you will not.
>
> The same rule applies for HTML and XHTML - if there is a presentation
> issue, validate markup first, then validate CSS.

I did notice that on your website though, that you mention that you do
XHTML. I started off doing that, but have since reverted back to
useing HTML 4.01 Strict, mainly because their is no benifit for useing
XHTML as Internet Explorer does not support it. Mind you I am already
thinking about dropping support for IE7 is it is hopeless, it is just
IE6 with one or two add-ons.

David Mark

On Dec 21, 8:07*am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 1:16*am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Seni Seven
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:Xns9B78C98C730D6SSca@
> > 207.115.33.102:

> > > Because there are a few cases where developers do the markup in HTML

> > and
> > > do not get the results they want and can't tell what is going on, and

> > if
> > > they do the markup in XHMTL, they are pointed to the problem quite
> > > quickly.

> > Yes, where XHTML is served as XHTML and the XML is not well formed you
> > will get an error. With XHTML served as txt/html you will not.

> > The same rule applies for HTML and XHTML - if there is a presentation
> > issue, validate markup first, then validate CSS.

> I did notice that on your website though, that you mention that you do
> XHTML. I started off doing that, but have since reverted back to
> useing HTML 4.01 Strict, mainly because their is no benifit for useing
> XHTML as Internet Explorer does not support it. Mind you I am already
> thinking about dropping support for IE7 is it is hopeless, it is just
> IE6 with one or two add-ons.

Think again.

[snip]

Jonathan N. Little

David Mark wrote:
> On Dec 21, 8:07 am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I did notice that on your website though, that you mention that you do
>> XHTML. I started off doing that, but have since reverted back to
>> useing HTML 4.01 Strict, mainly because their is no benifit for useing
>> XHTML as Internet Explorer does not support it. Mind you I am already
>> thinking about dropping support for IE7 is it is hopeless, it is just
>> IE6 with one or two add-ons.

> Think again.

If you mean because so many use IE you cannot ignore it, then I agree.
But even though MS made many changes in IE7 it still is a bug ridden
b*tch with respect to web design. Yes they fix many of IE6's
shortcomings but also manage to introduce a slew of new ones! Gérard
been taking the trouble to document them:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/
Bugs in MSIE 7 for Windows

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Seni Seven

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.html:

> David Mark wrote:
>> On Dec 21, 8:07 am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
>> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I did notice that on your website though, that you mention that you do
>>> XHTML. I started off doing that, but have since reverted back to
>>> useing HTML 4.01 Strict, mainly because their is no benifit for useing
>>> XHTML as Internet Explorer does not support it. Mind you I am already
>>> thinking about dropping support for IE7 is it is hopeless, it is just
>>> IE6 with one or two add-ons.

>> Think again.

> If you mean because so many use IE you cannot ignore it, then I agree.
> But even though MS made many changes in IE7 it still is a bug ridden
> b*tch with respect to web design.

It is not really bug-ridden---"with respect to web design."

Microsoft's failure to adhere to "standards"---that is, W3 (X)HTML
recommendations---is quite intentional, inasmuch as its outright contempt
for client-side scripting by trying to force everyone to knuckle under
that garbage VBscript.

> Yes they fix many of IE6's
> shortcomings but also manage to introduce a slew of new ones! Gérard
> been taking the trouble to document them:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/
> Bugs in MSIE 7 for Windows

The quote at the top of this document says it all:

"Until IE is reasonably standards-compliant you can expect no
quarter from us. We've spent too much time designing web sites that
will work for CSS and then work for IE. We've destroyed budgets,
****ed off our bosses, irritated clients and made development more
expensive because of your little (Rosemary's) baby."

The intentional non-compliance to a standard is not really a "bug."

Microsoft has always said to developers and the end-users, "you are either
with us or against us. You decide. There is only room for ONE in this
room."