Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: I think we should leave this group for P&S's

Re: I think we should leave this group for P&S's

ray

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:58:54 -0500, RichA wrote:

> I know it's "digital" which encompasses all the cameras, but the
> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is more suited to DSLRs and people here
> would be free to concentrate on P&S's for as long as their stomach's
> stay strong.

Sayonara - don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!
Actually, the 'rec' in the title might give you a clue.

Blinky the Shark

ray wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:58:54 -0500, RichA wrote:
>
>> I know it's "digital" which encompasses all the cameras, but the
>> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is more suited to DSLRs and people here
>> would be free to concentrate on P&S's for as long as their stomach's
>> stay strong.

> Sayonara - don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!
> Actually, the 'rec' in the title might give you a clue.

Do you perceive the "rec" in rec.photo-digital.slr-systems to be a
different "rec" than the one in rec.photo.digital?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> ray wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:58:54 -0500, RichA wrote:
>>
>>> I know it's "digital" which encompasses all the cameras, but the
>>> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is more suited to DSLRs and people here
>>> would be free to concentrate on P&S's for as long as their stomach's
>>> stay strong.

>> Sayonara - don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!
>> Actually, the 'rec' in the title might give you a clue.

> Do you perceive the "rec" in rec.photo-digital.slr-systems to be a

Make that "rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.

> different "rec" than the one in rec.photo.digital?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Jurgen

HEMI-Powered wrote:
> bugbear added these comments in the current discussion du jour
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_8_(Usenet)
>>
>> rec.* Recreation and entertainment
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt.*_hierarchy

> As to the quote above, I doubt it is an acronym like that any more
> than TIPS means "To Insure Prompt Service" or **** means "For
> Unlawful Carnal Knowledge". However, it IS widely believed that the
> etymology of posh, meaning "plush and luxurious" comes from "Port
> Outbound, Starboard Inbound" referring to the way passengers on
> sailing ships got preferred berthing according to where the ship
> would be when docked and the way waves and prevailing winds tended
> to rock the ship differently as perceived by a person in their
> cabin.
>
> So, I was basically right that rec means recreational and alt means
> alternate or alternative.

Bloody Hell!
Such a wealth of information and from a Chrysler freak too!

tony cooper

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:49:19 +1000, Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>HEMI-Powered wrote:
>> bugbear added these comments in the current discussion du jour
>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_8_(Usenet)
>>>
>>> rec.* Recreation and entertainment
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt.*_hierarchy

>> As to the quote above, I doubt it is an acronym like that any more
>> than TIPS means "To Insure Prompt Service" or **** means "For
>> Unlawful Carnal Knowledge". However, it IS widely believed that the
>> etymology of posh, meaning "plush and luxurious" comes from "Port
>> Outbound, Starboard Inbound" referring to the way passengers on
>> sailing ships got preferred berthing according to where the ship
>> would be when docked and the way waves and prevailing winds tended
>> to rock the ship differently as perceived by a person in their
>> cabin.
>>
>> So, I was basically right that rec means recreational and alt means
>> alternate or alternative.
>>

>Bloody Hell!
>Such a wealth of information and from a Chrysler freak too!

He's right that "posh" is widely believed to be from "port outbound,
starboard inbound", but there doesn't seem to be any support for that
from people who research words and terms.

I've been a subscriber to Michael Quinion's "WorldWideWords"
newsletter for several years. Michael both researches word and term
origins and publishes the research of others in this field. Here's
Michael's article on "posh":
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pos1.htm

For those that can't be arsed to read it, it states in part: "The
most probable solution though unprovable because slang is so rarely
written down is that it comes from London street slang for money.
This may well derive from Romany posh, half, originally applied to a
halfpenny, then to any small sum of money, and then to money in
general. This is recorded from as early as 1830 and was certainly
still around in 1892."

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Blinky the Shark

HEMI-Powered wrote:

> Blinky the Shark added these comments in the current discussion du jour
>
>>> Sayonara - don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!
>>> Actually, the 'rec' in the title might give you a clue.

>> Do you perceive the "rec" in rec.photo-digital.slr-systems to be a
>> different "rec" than the one in rec.photo.digital?
>>

> Blinky, what exactly does "rec" mean in these NGs, "recreational"? I
> really don't know what "alt" means, either except maybe "alternate" or
> something like that.

Answered elsewhere. I'll ad that unlike alt, rec belongs to the Big
Eight.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Eric Stevens

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:51:01 -0600, "HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>bugbear added these comments in the current discussion du jour
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_8_(Usenet)
>>
>> rec.* Recreation and entertainment
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt.*_hierarchy

>As to the quote above, I doubt it is an acronym like that any more
>than TIPS means "To Insure Prompt Service" or **** means "For
>Unlawful Carnal Knowledge". However, it IS widely believed that the
>etymology of posh, meaning "plush and luxurious" comes from "Port
>Outbound, Starboard Inbound" referring to the way passengers on
>sailing ships got preferred berthing according to where the ship
>would be when docked and the way waves and prevailing winds tended
>to rock the ship differently as perceived by a person in their
>cabin.

Actually, POSH was how to select the coolest side of the ship when
travelling backwards and forwards between England and India.

>So, I was basically right that rec means recreational and alt means
>alternate or alternative.

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:39:22 -0800, John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:32:01 +1300, Eric Stevens
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
><(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>Actually, POSH was how to select the coolest side of the ship when
>>travelling backwards and forwards between England and India.

>So many think, but it's not so -- see Wikipedia.

Now you've made me go and look up the New Shorter Oxford English
Dictionary (NSOED). It gives three main meanings (1) a small coin (2)
Nonsense, Rubbish (3) Smart, stylish, luxurious etc. It goes on to say
"There is no evidence to support ... 'Port Out, Starboard Home"

Eric Stevens

DRS

"HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Eric Stevens added these comments in the current discussion du
> jour ...

[...]

>> Now you've made me go and look up the New Shorter Oxford
>> English Dictionary (NSOED). It gives three main meanings (1)
>> a small coin (2) Nonsense, Rubbish (3) Smart, stylish,
>> luxurious etc. It goes on to say "There is no evidence to
>> support ... 'Port Out, Starboard Home"
>>

> This was meant to be a joke on why I don't think that "alt" is an
> acronym, but POSH does mean that, it is just debatable what the
> words were meant to convey. The reason the dictionary doesn't
> define "port outbound, starboard inbound" is that it doesn't
> include obsolete definitions for terms and acronyms, only words
> generally considered to be current. There are literally tens of
> thousands of legitimate words in the English language that won't be
> found in a standard dictionary no matter how think or how new, but
> they can be found with some judicious Googling.

The word is current and in the dictionary. It is a matter of etymology, not
meaning (although the Oxford does provide many archaic meanings). My New
Oxford says "There is no evidence to support the folk etymology that _posh_
is formed from the initials of _port outbound, starboard home_ ..." I for
one am confident in the Oxford's expertise and research.

Now, do you have anything to say about photography?

> DRS added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
>> "HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

[...]

>>> This was meant to be a joke on why I don't think that "alt"
>>> is an acronym, but POSH does mean that, it is just debatable
>>> what the words were meant to convey. The reason the
>>> dictionary doesn't define "port outbound, starboard inbound"
>>> is that it doesn't include obsolete definitions for terms and
>>> acronyms, only words generally considered to be current.
>>> There are literally tens of thousands of legitimate words in
>>> the English language that won't be found in a standard
>>> dictionary no matter how think or how new, but they can be
>>> found with some judicious Googling.

>> The word is current and in the dictionary. It is a matter of
>> etymology, not meaning (although the Oxford does provide many
>> archaic meanings). My New Oxford says "There is no evidence
>> to support the folk etymology that _posh_ is formed from the
>> initials of _port outbound, starboard home_ ..." I for one am
>> confident in the Oxford's expertise and research.

> I know the word is current, what I said what that tens of
> thousands of words are obsolete and have been dropped from the
> major dictionaries. What part of that don't you understand.

That is not what you said. What you said is cited above. You said the
reason "port outbound, starboard inbound" is not in the Oxford is because
"it doesn't include obsolete definitions for terms and acronyms". The
problem for you is that not only does the Oxford frequently give archaic
meanings but it also always gives a word's etymology. In this instance, the
prevalence of the myth to which you subscribe is so pervasive the editors
felt it necessary to explicitly refute it.

> Since I'm not in the business of either reasoning with fools nor
> doing their research for them, if you want to believe just one
> source instead of doing some independent research on your own, I
> guess you will remain blissfully ignorant about POSH, and
> probably about many other things.

No reputable sources support your claim. That I cited one cannot be assumed
to be exhaustive.

>> Now, do you have anything to say about photography?
>>

> Yes. I have a nice picture of you that I found in another
> newsgroup of a geek with a propeller on top his beanie. Would
> that be you?

Now you can look up "hoist on your own petard."