Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Basic VOIP & Cisco 186 questions

Basic VOIP & Cisco 186 questions

Tim Downie

A long time ago we dabbled with a BT VOIP system and acquired a Cisco ATA
186 (that I dare say is locked or otherwise tied to their system).

We gave up on it after a year as the sound quality was irritatingly worse
than our land line but this was back in our relatively slow BB days. With
an 8 meg connection that usually runs about 6-7 meg, I'm guessing that
wouldn't be such an issue now.

I'd quite like to restore a second line now but I don't know how to go about
it, in particular, if it's possible to unlock our Cisco box and who I need
to pay to connect up to the phone network.

I've had a shufti for a FAQ but clearly not tried hard enough. Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

Tim

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim Downie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>A long time ago we dabbled with a BT VOIP system and acquired a Cisco ATA
>186 (that I dare say is locked or otherwise tied to their system).
>
>We gave up on it after a year as the sound quality was irritatingly worse
>than our land line but this was back in our relatively slow BB days. With
>an 8 meg connection that usually runs about 6-7 meg, I'm guessing that
>wouldn't be such an issue now.

The issue is what else is using the line, (PCs, etc. downloading,
uploading, p2p, iPlayer, etc) and how good your chosen ISP is at routing
data to the VoIP provider. (And to a lesser extent the BT wholesale
network if you're using a BR wholeseale reseller)

>I'd quite like to restore a second line now but I don't know how to go about
>it, in particular, if it's possible to unlock our Cisco box and who I need
>to pay to connect up to the phone network.

You have a choice of who to pay, depending on the level of service you
require. It boils down to service. Pay nothing, get free calls, but no
service. Work upwards from there.

I don't know anything about that particulat ATA, so can't help you there -
I'd start googling for how to unlock it (it it is actually locked)

And make sure it's configured for SIP too - A quick google has just
shows me that it might be configured for other protocols.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/A...e+cisco+ATA18x

Gordon

TheFug@domain.invalid

Tim Downie schreef:
> A long time ago we dabbled with a BT VOIP system and acquired a Cisco ATA
> 186 (that I dare say is locked or otherwise tied to their system).
>
> We gave up on it after a year as the sound quality was irritatingly worse
> than our land line but this was back in our relatively slow BB days. With
> an 8 meg connection that usually runs about 6-7 meg, I'm guessing that
> wouldn't be such an issue now.
>
> I'd quite like to restore a second line now but I don't know how to go about
> it, in particular, if it's possible to unlock our Cisco box and who I need
> to pay to connect up to the phone network.
>
> I've had a shufti for a FAQ but clearly not tried hard enough. Can anyone
> point me in the right direction?
>
> Tim

A Dect IP set is much easier to use, Siemens has a good choice.....
In fact, with an ATA you have always some conversion problems,
With a DECT IP set you have not....

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.