Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Remote Control of PC

Remote Control of PC

=?Utf-8?B?Q2luY2lEYXZl?=

Hi,
I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.

In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
CinciDave

Sooner Al [MVP]

One way is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

If you do this over the public internet I suggest running Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel
for added security...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"CinciDave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
> wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
> files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
> other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
>
> In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
> CinciDave

=?Utf-8?B?Q2luY2lEYXZl?=

Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow I must have defined a password which I
cannot recall. Since I am the only user and this is a local network, how can
I either find the password or eliminate it entirely?
--
CinciDave

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> One way is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
>
> If you do this over the public internet I suggest running Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel
> for added security...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "CinciDave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
> > wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
> > files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
> > other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
> >
> > In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
> > CinciDave

=?Utf-8?B?Q2luY2lEYXZl?=

I checked setup to make sure that no password was indicated on either of my
PC's.
Still the remote access connection requests a password. Any further
suggestions?
CinciDave

"CinciDave" wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow I must have defined a password which I
> cannot recall. Since I am the only user and this is a local network, how can
> I either find the password or eliminate it entirely?
> --
> CinciDave
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > One way is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop...
> >
> > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
> >
> > If you do this over the public internet I suggest running Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel
> > for added security...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >

> > "CinciDave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > > I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
> > > wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
> > > files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
> > > other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
> > >
> > > In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
> > > CinciDave

Sooner Al [MVP]

Logon as the Administrator and change the user password...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"CinciDave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow I must have defined a password which I
> cannot recall. Since I am the only user and this is a local network, how can
> I either find the password or eliminate it entirely?
> --
> CinciDave
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> One way is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
>>
>> If you do this over the public internet I suggest running Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN
>> tunnel
>> for added security...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "CinciDave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> > I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
>> > wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
>> > files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
>> > other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
>> >
>> > In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
>> > CinciDave

atec

CinciDave wrote:
> Hi,
> I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
> wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
> files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
> other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
>
> In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
> CinciDave

http://www.realvnc.com/

rupert

You must use accounts with passwords to be able to use Remote Desktop. ie
You need to add a password to each of your logon accounts-they do not have
to be the same