Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Question on CPU utilization

Question on CPU utilization

pfisterfarm

We've got several remote sites that have a 3500XL switch running 12.0
(5)WC17 as the core of their network. All of them are showing cpu
utilization around 35-55% pretty much constantly. Does this have a
large impact on performance?

- is this too high? Shouldn't it be more like <= 10% most of the time?
- how can I troubleshoot this? I've seen some steps on cisco.com, but
they don't seem to indicate where the problem might be. I didn't see
anything under the bug toolkit that seemed to relate to this problem,
but should I try upgrading the IOS anyway?

Thanks!

bod43

On 16 Dec, 19:34, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> > We've got several remote sites that have a 3500XL switch running 12.0
> > (5)WC17 as the core of their network. All of them are showing cpu
> > utilization around 35-55% pretty much constantly. Does this have a
> > large impact on performance?

> My memories of 2924-XL switches suggest the XL series are quite normal
> in this respect. Our 2924-XL's used to sit at around 30% most of the
> time, regardless of the traffic passing the device. I suspect this is
> normal behaviour for yours. When we moved to 2950's, 3560's they all
> ran lower than that, around 5% load.

There are documents on www.cisco.com that
describe troubleshooting steps.
Search for [3500xl cpu], first hit is:
"High CPU Utilization on Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL Switches"

I have not read this document however if you are still
concerned please post the output from:-

sh proc cpu

at a time when you are experiencing the high CPU.

As already mentioned 30% is not so much and the
switch does not use the CPU when forwarding packets.
(with a few exceptions).

Couldn't resist a peek at the document -
"Therefore, it is normal for a 2900XL or 3500XL switch
to indicate a CPU utilization value of 30 percent to
50 percent, even under minimal load."

Kumar

On Dec 17, 7:39*am, bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 16 Dec, 19:34, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,

> > > We've got several remote sites that have a 3500XL switch running 12.0
> > > (5)WC17 as the core of their network. All of them are showing cpu
> > > utilization around 35-55% pretty much constantly. Does this have a
> > > large impact on performance?

> > My memories of 2924-XL switches suggest the XL series are quite normal
> > in this respect. Our 2924-XL's used to sit at around 30% most of the
> > time, regardless of the traffic passing the device. I suspect this is
> > normal behaviour for yours. When we moved to 2950's, 3560's they all
> > ran lower than that, around 5% load.

> There are documents onwww.cisco.comthat
> describe troubleshooting steps.
> Search for [3500xl cpu], *first hit is:
> "High CPU Utilization on Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL Switches"
>
> I have not read this document however if you are still
> concerned please post the output from:-
>
> sh proc cpu
>
> at a time when you are experiencing the high CPU.
>
> As already mentioned 30% is not so much and the
> switch does not use the CPU when forwarding packets.
> (with a few exceptions).
>
> Couldn't resist a peek at the document -
> "Therefore, it is normal for a 2900XL or 3500XL switch
> to indicate a CPU utilization value of 30 percent to
> 50 percent, even under minimal load."

I think 35-55% is pretty good,because forwarding the packets takes
much amount of process but we need to check the logs. could you
provide processess cpu result and the logs as well. so that we can
isolate where the problem is.

thanks,
siva.