Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: IE in the news

OT: IE in the news

Will

Els wrote:
> Tim Streater wrote:
>
>> I'm not talking about filters, Eudora has those too. I'm talking about,
>> as you compose a mail, being able to choose a destination folder there
>> and then for the sent mail. I'm talking about, as I compose a reply
>> mail, knowing that after it has been sent, a copy will be in the
>> original folder regardless of which one the original mail was in,and
>> without having to set up a filter for that particular folder.

> That sounds like the single one feature I'm missing in both OE and
> Mailsmith.
>
> Too bad Eudora doesn't have the other options I want: 3 pane view (not
> a slide out drawer on the wrong side of the window), separate email
> accounts without having to make a bunch of personalities for each of
> which you need to check email separately, and which open in separate
> windows. Maybe I've missed settings that would give me the ordinary
> system of automatically checking multiple email accounts, and having a
> single window with a hierarchical set of folders in a 3rd pane (on the
> left! )?

I use Eudora, and have exactly the setup that you wish for

--
Regards,

Will.

Tim Streater

In article <gig6tk$595$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Els wrote:
> > Tim Streater wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not talking about filters, Eudora has those too. I'm talking about,
> >> as you compose a mail, being able to choose a destination folder there
> >> and then for the sent mail. I'm talking about, as I compose a reply
> >> mail, knowing that after it has been sent, a copy will be in the
> >> original folder regardless of which one the original mail was in,and
> >> without having to set up a filter for that particular folder.

> > That sounds like the single one feature I'm missing in both OE and
> > Mailsmith.
> >
> > Too bad Eudora doesn't have the other options I want: 3 pane view (not
> > a slide out drawer on the wrong side of the window), separate email
> > accounts without having to make a bunch of personalities for each of
> > which you need to check email separately, and which open in separate
> > windows. Maybe I've missed settings that would give me the ordinary
> > system of automatically checking multiple email accounts, and having a
> > single window with a hierarchical set of folders in a 3rd pane (on the
> > left! )?
> >

> I use Eudora, and have exactly the setup that you wish for

I imagine you're using the Windows version? I think Els must be using
the Mac version which I (as a Mac user) consider to be inferior
precisely because the Windows version allows you to dock the various
components into a single window. And it has tabs, too, which means I
could have five mailboxes open, be in the process of reading ten emails
and replying to five of them, with only a single application window to
manage.

Els

Tim Streater wrote:

> In article <gig6tk$595$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> That sounds like the single one feature I'm missing in both OE and
>>> Mailsmith.
>>>
>>> Too bad Eudora doesn't have the other options I want: 3 pane view (not
>>> a slide out drawer on the wrong side of the window), separate email
>>> accounts without having to make a bunch of personalities for each of
>>> which you need to check email separately, and which open in separate
>>> windows. Maybe I've missed settings that would give me the ordinary
>>> system of automatically checking multiple email accounts, and having a
>>> single window with a hierarchical set of folders in a 3rd pane (on the
>>> left! )?
>>>

>> I use Eudora, and have exactly the setup that you wish for

> I imagine you're using the Windows version? I think Els must be using
> the Mac version which I (as a Mac user) consider to be inferior
> precisely because the Windows version allows you to dock the various
> components into a single window. And it has tabs, too, which means I
> could have five mailboxes open, be in the process of reading ten emails
> and replying to five of them, with only a single application window to
> manage.

Thanks for clearing that up
I did indeed check out the Mac version, when I was searching for a
good Mac email client. (found one in Mailsmith btw)

I don't understand why a single app would have different features in
different OSes though, especially when they really make a difference.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Tim Streater

In article <1owabqczacau2$.pysg4ujnnncf$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tim Streater wrote:
>
> > In article <gig6tk$595$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

[snip]

> >> I use Eudora, and have exactly the setup that you wish for

> > I imagine you're using the Windows version? I think Els must be using
> > the Mac version which I (as a Mac user) consider to be inferior
> > precisely because the Windows version allows you to dock the various
> > components into a single window. And it has tabs, too, which means I
> > could have five mailboxes open, be in the process of reading ten emails
> > and replying to five of them, with only a single application window to
> > manage.

> Thanks for clearing that up
> I did indeed check out the Mac version, when I was searching for a
> good Mac email client. (found one in Mailsmith btw)
>
> I don't understand why a single app would have different features in
> different OSes though, especially when they really make a difference.

I think Qualcomm must have got cold feet about the project around the
time they were working on Eudora 7 for the Mac. Shame really, especially
given that it was a Mac app for quite a few years before the Windows
development started.

I tried running the Win version under Crossover, but it fails.

Els

Tim Streater wrote:

[Eudora]
> I tried running the Win version under Crossover, but it fails.

I tried to use TextPad under Crossover, but that didn't work properly
either. I just figured it was me, but maybe it's Crossover then..

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
> Tim Streater wrote:
>
> [Eudora]
>> I tried running the Win version under Crossover, but it fails.

> I tried to use TextPad under Crossover, but that didn't work properly
> either. I just figured it was me, but maybe it's Crossover then..

Hmm I been able to get all kinds of stuff to run in Wine on Linux. Even
an old CorelDraw bundled version Ray Dream Designer which fails
miserably in XP!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Bergamot

Els wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> I never did find out how to revert to plain angle-bracket
>> quoting.

> Apparently only possible with an extension.

No need for an extension. Add this to your user.js file:
user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);

You may also need to disable format-flowed for reading plain text
messages (maybe not):
user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_ support", true);

You can style the quoting colors in userContent.css, located in the
chrome directory, e.g. for 3rd level quotes:
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #660 ! important;
color: #660 ! important;
}

Been working for me for many years now.

--
Berg

Els

Bergamot wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> Andrew wrote:
>>
>>> I never did find out how to revert to plain angle-bracket
>>> quoting.

>> Apparently only possible with an extension.

> No need for an extension. Add this to your user.js file:
> user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);

And "my user.js file" would be where exactly? Have browsed around the
TB folder, but can't find that one. I reckon installing an extension
is easier, as I did see the 'Add-ons' option in the menu.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Bergamot

Els wrote:
> Bergamot wrote:
>
>> Add this to your user.js file:
>> user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);

> And "my user.js file" would be where exactly?

It's just a plain text file that goes in your profile directory, same
place where prefs.js is. If you don't already have a user.js file, make
one using the editor of your choice. No special headers or anything are
needed, just the above line.

> I reckon installing an extension
> is easier, as I did see the 'Add-ons' option in the menu.

I find user prefs better, myself, because they aren't dependent on some
3rd party keeping up with new releases. I've had those mail-news rules
in there for eons, even before Thunderbird and Firefox split off from
mozilla, and they are still working beautifully.

--
Berg

Els

Bergamot wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> Bergamot wrote:
>>
>>> Add this to your user.js file:
>>> user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);

>> And "my user.js file" would be where exactly?

> It's just a plain text file that goes in your profile directory, same
> place where prefs.js is. If you don't already have a user.js file, make
> one using the editor of your choice. No special headers or anything are
> needed, just the above line.

Thanks. I may do that at some point. (Can't do it without first going
into the admin account of XP)

>> I reckon installing an extension
>> is easier, as I did see the 'Add-ons' option in the menu.

> I find user prefs better, myself, because they aren't dependent on some
> 3rd party keeping up with new releases. I've had those mail-news rules
> in there for eons, even before Thunderbird and Firefox split off from
> mozilla, and they are still working beautifully.

There's that of course.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/