Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: IE in the news

OT: IE in the news

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim Streater
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:timstreater-

> What I am talking about is choosing the folder ON THE FLY when I am
> composing the message. Since I can choose any folder at that moment, the
> selection is unrelated to the account I am using to send the mail from.

Pegasus does this. I can set up filters that automatically place copies,
or the program will ask me where I want to put the copy if there is no
filter available, or it will just put it into a sent folder if I have not
set up the program to ask me.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Tim Greer

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Tim Greer wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> My customers wouldn't agree. That is how they get to preview their
>>> commissions!
>>>

>> To each their own. Certainly there are valid and good reasons for
>> it. I guess my circle of people prefer viewing HTML and images via a
>> web
>> browser overall (including reports, graphs, invoices, etc.) I prefer
>> that and text based emails for data such as the previously listed
>> things. Again, preference.

> I do for LARGE media. Even if one has broadband the encoding required
> to allow binary data to be transmitted via mail servers nearly doubles
> the byte size of any image. But for small preview images with remarks
> on projects for my customers' review. I one time affair, it is silly
> to have to compose, upload, and link to avoid a 50-150 Kb email!

I didn't mean to insinuate anyone should have to upload anything. I
actually meant that in those cases, for even small images, it is often
auto-generated on the server, so this is why we link to it and send a
text equivalent via email. It's all preferences, but if you have to
compose it, upload, etc. and it's all email based, I'd do the same
myself, I'm sure.

Tim Greer

Ben C wrote:

> On 2008-12-17, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Tim Greer wrote:
>>
>>> Same for OE, who uses OE these days,

>> I do. I have HTML disabled, and it works perfectly. Yes I've tried
>> Thunderbird, but it has a couple of downsides that OE doesn't have.
>> OE's downsides are cured with Quotefix.
>>
>>> and why would anyone use either IE or OE?

>> Because it comes with the system, and until some geek explains to you
>> why it's bad, you just use what's there.

> Also the news is full of much worse scare stories all the time than
> computer security exploits so I think most people just filter it out.

Maybe. However, I think the main sites like CNN have their sections
with the 2-4 primary story titles, and it is pretty targeted. I don't
pay attention to them since I don't use OE or IE, but I do read them
for the sake of our clients and any questions they might have (somehow
people think their web host is their personal computer support team as
well -- we don't mind helping them, so we try and keep up on that stuff
to some point, even if it's not related to our service). So, I see it
often enough where I'd assume people get notified that way as well, but
that's not to say people do.

Tim Greer

Tim Greer wrote:

> it is often
> auto-generated on the server,

To be clear (in _our_ cases, it is often generated), which is why we
link to it and send a text copy over email.

Jonathan N. Little

Tim Greer wrote:
> Tim Greer wrote:
>
>> it is often
>> auto-generated on the server,

> To be clear (in _our_ cases, it is often generated), which is why we
> link to it and send a text copy over email.

Sure as would I if it were a bulk mailing, newsletter, announcement and
such. But I was talking about a one-off message to a client. It would
make no sense. But here is no excuse for the multi-megabyte emails! I am
stuck with dialup (here in the third-world USA) and these whoppers
appear and clog my Inbox far to often!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Tim Greer

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Tim Greer wrote:
>> Tim Greer wrote:
>>
>>> it is often
>>> auto-generated on the server,

>> To be clear (in _our_ cases, it is often generated), which is why we
>> link to it and send a text copy over email.

> Sure as would I if it were a bulk mailing, newsletter, announcement
> and such. But I was talking about a one-off message to a client. It
> would make no sense. But here is no excuse for the multi-megabyte
> emails! I am stuck with dialup (here in the third-world USA) and these
> whoppers appear and clog my Inbox far to often!

Pardon, I just assumed you were talking about some invoice type of
thing, where it might be generated on the server. A personalized email
to a client, indeed would be best just emailed.

Blinky the Shark

Andrew wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> Have to take that up with the developers. Maybe they thought the color
>>> bars are easier to keep track of the level of quoting...in TB the color
>>> changes with the level sometimes

>> It's just more dumbing-down.

> It's actually quite a powerful feature. Thunderbird treats indented quotes
> as nested blockquote elements (even for plain text posts) which can be
> styled with a user CSS file. The default coloured bars are left borders. I
> changed mine so that older and more deeply nested quotes fade more and
> more to grey. I'm sure Els would have no trouble coming up with something
> appealing if she wanted. I was sufficiently pleased with this feature that
> I never did find out how to revert to plain angle-bracket quoting.

The color bars is an attempt to fix something that was not broken. For
more visual separation between quote levels, many news clients - including
ones I have - allow the user to set a distinctive color for all of the
text in a level. Been that way for years.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Els

Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> My favorite is Pegasus. Yes, I know it's old, but I think that's what I
> really like.
>
> The things I like best are trays and folders. I have one tray for
> clients, and separate folders in each tray for each client, and
> subfolders under those for sent mail/issues/hosting, etc. I also have a
> separate tray for property management, and that tray has sub trays for
> each property, etc.
>
> I also like the fact that I can have several idenities, but not have to
> change identities to get/send mail for each one. Composing under
> different identities is easy to do on the fly.
>
> Excellent filtering, easy list management, merge and templates, even a
> special thing for phone messages.
>
> And yes, three pane view.
>
> Have a look, you might like it.

Sounds quite good actually, I may give it a try - thanks.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Els

Andrew wrote:

[coloured bars in Thunderbird]
> It's actually quite a powerful feature. Thunderbird treats indented
> quotes as nested blockquote elements (even for plain text posts) which
> can be styled with a user CSS file. The default coloured bars are left
> borders. I changed mine so that older and more deeply nested quotes fade
> more and more to grey. I'm sure Els would have no trouble coming up with
> something appealing if she wanted.

True. I've already come up with that: regular ">" markers
Really, it's not colours that bother me - it's the bars themselves.

> I was sufficiently pleased with this
> feature that I never did find out how to revert to plain angle-bracket
> quoting.

Apparently only possible with an extension. Strange enough it does
revert to plain angle-bracket quoting for composing in plain text.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Bergamot

Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> Pegasus does this.

FYI, one thing Pegasus does not do is honor my Windows system display
settings. The type size in the UI is uncomfortably small to me, making
it unusable. I poked around their forums and found this is a known
problem with no work around at this time. Too bad, coz it sounded pretty
good.

--
Berg