Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: IE in the news

OT: IE in the news

Tim Greer

dorayme wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Disabling HTML is only a way to avoid
>> the obvious stuff. (Personally, my reason for disabling it was that I
>> hate to get spam email with images in them.)

> In the Mac email program Mail.app, one can untick the preference
> "Display remote images in HTML messages" and this at least allows one
> to get html but not use up bandwidth or having to see images you don't
> want to see. They can be turned on on an individual message basis.
> Sort of flexible and might suit some people.

I actually somehow didn't see the mention of the images loading when I
read the reply (long day, I guess). All HTML, images, etc. are a bad
idea for email, but I do think all of them have an option to disable
I've not used OE in so long (<happy>), that I didn't realize it was all
or none, or is there an option to display remote images only? Either
way, I'd not enable HTML for a lot of reasons so I guess it's the best
of both worlds.

Els

dorayme wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Disabling HTML is only a way to avoid
>> the obvious stuff. (Personally, my reason for disabling it was that I
>> hate to get spam email with images in them.)

> In the Mac email program Mail.app, one can untick the preference
> "Display remote images in HTML messages" and this at least allows one to
> get html but not use up bandwidth or having to see images you don't want
> to see. They can be turned on on an individual message basis. Sort of
> flexible and might suit some people.

OE does that, and that's how I use it. Messages come in in plain text
or multi-format, I click 'view as HTML' if I want to see the HTML
version, and then I have to click the bar (which has a warning about
it) above the message pane to download external images.

On the Mac I use Mailsmith, because Mac's own Mail doesn't have an
option to switch HTML off. Even without images, I still prefer plain
text to HTML. With the amount of emails I have to read every day, it's
much easier to have them all in the exact same font and style, then
having to adjust to everybody's different ideas of 'nice'.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Els

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> As I said elsewhere in the thread that Mozilla has a fundamentally
> different approach to software than MS.
>
> "Do remember that both Firefox and Thunderbird are "strip down" by
> default. If you want features, add what you need via extensions. It is
> intended to be counter to the MS "everything AND the kitchen sink"
> hogware..."

I did read that, and I agree with the idea. I just think that coloured
bars that are clearly an "extra", should be the feature, and the
regular > markers should be the strip down version. The way it is now,
I have to install an extension to get rid of a feature

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Tim Streater

In article <76b60$49496ea7$40cba7a8$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Tim Streater wrote:
> > In article <850f2$49493d67$40cba7a8$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> Just looked up FCC, do you me File Carbon Copy? If so, TB as all
> >> predecessors back to Netscape have had the "Sent" folder by default that
> >> supplies this function, unless I am missing something here.

> > Yes, you are. If I'm replying to a mail, it means I can get a copy of
> > the reply put in the folder where the original mail is. If it's a new
> > mail I get to choose where the copy will be put. Or I can tell Eudora to
> > make several copies and store them in more than one mailbox, if I want.
> > Just keeping stuff in a Sent folder is barely useful, but Eudora will do
> > this too.
> >
> > I can also edit received mails and their subjects.

> Ah, yes it is called message filters. TB as well as my SeaMonkey can do
> all that and more. I have several folders that sort my incoming mail
> from one account for eBay sales, questions, listing receipts, etc all
> automatically with filters. This can also be done for outgoing, etc.

I'm not talking about filters, Eudora has those too. I'm talking about,
as you compose a mail, being able to choose a destination folder there
and then for the sent mail. I'm talking about, as I compose a reply
mail, knowing that after it has been sent, a copy will be in the
original folder regardless of which one the original mail was in,and
without having to set up a filter for that particular folder.

Els

Tim Streater wrote:

> I'm not talking about filters, Eudora has those too. I'm talking about,
> as you compose a mail, being able to choose a destination folder there
> and then for the sent mail. I'm talking about, as I compose a reply
> mail, knowing that after it has been sent, a copy will be in the
> original folder regardless of which one the original mail was in,and
> without having to set up a filter for that particular folder.

That sounds like the single one feature I'm missing in both OE and
Mailsmith.

Too bad Eudora doesn't have the other options I want: 3 pane view (not
a slide out drawer on the wrong side of the window), separate email
accounts without having to make a bunch of personalities for each of
which you need to check email separately, and which open in separate
windows. Maybe I've missed settings that would give me the ordinary
system of automatically checking multiple email accounts, and having a
single window with a hierarchical set of folders in a 3rd pane (on the
left! )?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

dorayme

In article <%oe2l.5758$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim Greer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> All HTML, images, etc. are a bad
> idea for email

This is very severe! Don't you share small snaps with friends *in*
emails?

--
dorayme

Tim Greer

dorayme wrote:

> In article <%oe2l.5758$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tim Greer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> All HTML, images, etc. are a bad
>> idea for email

> This is very severe! Don't you share small snaps with friends *in*
> emails?

Not usually, but when I do, I don't send people HTML pages to display
the image, I'd link to a web page then. Besides, what's wrong with
attachments people can view in line (if they want to view it in their
email window), or save to view elsewhere? I didn't say sending images
was a bad idea, I said displaying them over email (and overall, forcing
HTML (and images that are attached by spammers) to not offer an
effective way to disable it (for example).

Jonathan N. Little

Tim Streater wrote:

> I'm not talking about filters, Eudora has those too. I'm talking about,
> as you compose a mail, being able to choose a destination folder there
> and then for the sent mail. I'm talking about, as I compose a reply
> mail, knowing that after it has been sent, a copy will be in the
> original folder regardless of which one the original mail was in,and
> without having to set up a filter for that particular folder.

Oh, sure you can direct copies of composed messages to sent or any other
folder that you choose or create. All account can go to a single
destination or different, whatever you choose. It's under "Account
settings > Copies & Folders"

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> As I said elsewhere in the thread that Mozilla has a fundamentally
>> different approach to software than MS.
>>
>> "Do remember that both Firefox and Thunderbird are "strip down" by
>> default. If you want features, add what you need via extensions. It is
>> intended to be counter to the MS "everything AND the kitchen sink"
>> hogware..."

> I did read that, and I agree with the idea. I just think that coloured
> bars that are clearly an "extra", should be the feature, and the
> regular > markers should be the strip down version. The way it is now,
> I have to install an extension to get rid of a feature

Have to take that up with the developers. Maybe they thought the color
bars are easier to keep track of the level of quoting...in TB the color
changes with the level sometimes

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

dorayme wrote:
> In article <%oe2l.5758$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tim Greer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> All HTML, images, etc. are a bad
>> idea for email

> This is very severe! Don't you share small snaps with friends *in*
> emails?

My customers wouldn't agree. That is how they get to preview their
commissions!

--
Take care,

Jonathan