Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: IE in the news

OT: IE in the news

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
> Bergamot wrote:

>>> And "my user.js file" would be where exactly?

>> It's just a plain text file that goes in your profile directory, same
>> place where prefs.js is. If you don't already have a user.js file, make
>> one using the editor of your choice. No special headers or anything are
>> needed, just the above line.

> Thanks. I may do that at some point. (Can't do it without first going
> into the admin account of XP)

That would be in the *current* profile that you are now using, not the
program folder. From "Start > Run..." enter

%APPDATA%\Thunderbird

Your profile will be [random-chars].Default User if no other profiles
created, in the folder you should add user.js

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Els

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> Bergamot wrote:

>>> It's just a plain text file that goes in your profile directory, same
>>> place where prefs.js is. If you don't already have a user.js file, make
>>> one using the editor of your choice. No special headers or anything are
>>> needed, just the above line.

>> Thanks. I may do that at some point. (Can't do it without first going
>> into the admin account of XP)

> That would be in the *current* profile that you are now using, not the
> program folder. From "Start > Run..." enter
>
> %APPDATA%\Thunderbird
>
> Your profile will be [random-chars].Default User if no other profiles
> created, in the folder you should add user.js

Thanks, did that.
Result is funny though: regular > markers *and* coloured bars... <g>

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Els

Andrew wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> That would be in the *current* profile that you are now using, not the
>>> program folder. From "Start > Run..." enter
>>>
>>> %APPDATA%\Thunderbird
>>>
>>> Your profile will be [random-chars].Default User if no other profiles
>>> created, in the folder you should add user.js

>> Thanks, did that.
>> Result is funny though: regular > markers *and* coloured bars... <g>

> Untested, but you could try:
>
> In the folder Jonathan describes, there is a folder called "chrome".

No, that one *is* in the programs folder. I can only edit in there
when I'm in my admin account.

> In the chrome folder, create a file called "userContent.css".
>
> That file should contain the rule
>
> blockquote {border-left-width: 0 !important;}

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Blinky the Shark

Andrew wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> The color bars is an attempt to fix something that was not broken.

> I'm guessing it was an attempt at familiarity in order to appeal to
> Outlook users - I'm sure I've seen it doing something similar.
>
>> For more visual separation between quote levels, many news clients -
>> including ones I have - allow the user to set a distinctive color
>> for all of the text in a level. Been that way for years.

> Sure - I was using one like that last millennium. But are there any others
> which allow full CSS styling? Or at least full enough to include color,
> background-color, border, margin and padding that I know of. I haven't
> tested what else it supports.
>
> Not that I'm claiming that this is a worthwhile feature or that everyone
> should flock[*] to Thunderbird because of it. I just happen to like it.
>
>[*] School, or possibly shiver, in your case.

ThunderBIRD. I'd say it involves flocking. And that is also fitting in
that I don't really like that flocking program.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
> Andrew wrote:

>>> Thanks, did that.
>>> Result is funny though: regular > markers *and* coloured bars... <g>

>> Untested, but you could try:
>>
>> In the folder Jonathan describes, there is a folder called "chrome".

> No, that one *is* in the programs folder. I can only edit in there
> when I'm in my admin account.

No that is is the program defaults, you want the one in *your profile*
to make *user customizations*. There may not be a chrome folder at first

%APPDATA%\Thunderbird\[random-chars].Default User\chrome

create one and create a useContent.css file. There is also
userChrome.css for chrome customizations...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Els wrote:
>> Andrew wrote:

>>> In the folder Jonathan describes, there is a folder called "chrome".

>> No, that one *is* in the programs folder. I can only edit in there
>> when I'm in my admin account.

> No that is is the program defaults, you want the one in *your profile*
> to make *user customizations*. There may not be a chrome folder at first

Indeed there isn't.

> %APPDATA%\Thunderbird\[random-chars].Default User\chrome
>
> create one and create a useContent.css file. There is also
> userChrome.css for chrome customizations...

And by "there is" you mean "there will be after you make it". Should
have guessed

I still think this is all a lot of work for something that should be
the default in the app. (where "a lot of work" is entirely subjective
and relative of course)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> No, that one *is* in the programs folder. I can only edit in there
>>> when I'm in my admin account.

>> No that is is the program defaults, you want the one in *your profile*
>> to make *user customizations*. There may not be a chrome folder at first

> Indeed there isn't.
>
>> %APPDATA%\Thunderbird\[random-chars].Default User\chrome
>>
>> create one and create a useContent.css file. There is also
>> userChrome.css for chrome customizations...

Just an experiment to see how pastels could possibly assist on these
monster postings...

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite],
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] {
border-width: thin ! important; border-color: #880000 ! important;
background-color: #ffeeee ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
border-color: #008800 ! important; background-color: #eeffee ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #000088 ! important; background-color: #eeeeff ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #008888 ! important; background-color: #eeffff ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote {
border-color: #880088 ! important; background-color: #ffeeff ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #880055 ! important; background-color: #ffeedd ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #550088 ! important; background-color: #ddeeff ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #008855 ! important; background-color: #eeffdd ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #558800 ! important; background-color: #ddffee ! important;
}

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Just an experiment to see how pastels could possibly assist on these
> monster postings...

I like this a little better, less tooty fruity

blockquote[type=cite] {
border-width: thin ! important; border-color: #880000 ! important;
background-color: #fff8f8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
border-color: #008800 ! important; background-color: #f8fff8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #000088 ! important; background-color: #f8f8ff ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #888800 ! important; background-color: #fffff8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #008888 ! important; background-color: #f8ffff ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote {
border-color: #880088 ! important; background-color: #fff8ff ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #880055 ! important; background-color: #fff8e8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #550088 ! important; background-color: #e8f8ff ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #008855 ! important; background-color: #f8ffe8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #558800 ! important; background-color: #e8fff8 ! important;
}

--
Take care,

Jonathan