Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Search in IE address bar

Search in IE address bar

Mary Ann Simms

I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching. I have to go
directly to Google to search for anything other than the exact address of
something, for example, "http://www.amazon.com/. If I put "Amazon" in the IE
address bar, I am told that the address is invalid, or that the website
cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never had the
problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions and nothing
has helped with the problem. It is very annoying. Help???????

alan

"Mary Ann Simms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MBD1l.6661$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching. I have to go
>directly to Google to search for anything other than the exact address of
>something, for example, "http://www.amazon.com/. If I put "Amazon" in the
>IE address bar, I am told that the address is invalid, or that the website
>cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never had the
>problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions and
>nothing has helped with the problem. It is very annoying. Help???????

First of all, pay no attention at all to chuckcar's reply to your earlier
post.

Go to: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down til you come to "Search from the Address
Bar"

Select "Just go to the most likely site". That should work.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:34:34 -0500, "Mary Ann Simms"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching.

not 24 hours ago.

Ignore the posts from Chuckcar, he's an idiot.

From: "Mary Ann Simms" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Address bar
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:39:09 -0500

Mary Ann Simms

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:34:34 -0500, "Mary Ann Simms"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching.

> not 24 hours ago.
>
> Ignore the posts from Chuckcar, he's an idiot.
>
> From: "Mary Ann Simms" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Subject: Address bar
> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:39:09 -0500

For your information, Mr. Platt, or whoever you are, I tried all of the
suggestions that were given to me, and nothing has worked. I STILL CAN"T
SEARCH from IE address bar.

Alan, I appreciate your courtesy. Yesterday I tried IE
Options\Advanced\Search\and selected "Just go to the most likely site" and
have checked on the setting again today. Nothing has changed. That is why I
wrote again. I have been on the Internet searching (with Google)for help and
have discovered that many people have the problem that I do and are just as
frustrated as I am.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:12:58 -0500, "Mary Ann Simms"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For your information, Mr. Platt, or whoever you are,

Mr. Platt or Evan is who I am.

>I tried all of the suggestions that were given to me, and nothing has worked. I STILL CAN"T
>SEARCH from IE address bar.

That's why then you go back and reply to the people who attempted to
help you sand reply to those people and say "I tried what you
suggested and it didn't work". You don't create a new thread
essentially repeating what you asked the first time.

Stubbo of Oz

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching. I have to go
>directly to Google to search for anything other than the exact address of
>something, for example, "http://www.amazon.com/. If I put "Amazon" in the IE
>address bar, I am told that the address is invalid, or that the website
>cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never had the
>problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions and nothing
>has helped with the problem. It is very annoying. Help???????

I find it much easier to search from the Googls tool bar which you can
get for free from here:-

http://tinyurl.com/46msme

Once it is installed, you just type in your query in the Google box
instead of in the IE address bar.
--
----------------
Stubbo of Oz

Evan Platt

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:38:09 +1100, Stubbo of Oz
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I find it much easier to search from the Googls tool bar which you can
>get for free from here:-
>
>http://tinyurl.com/46msme
>
>Once it is installed, you just type in your query in the Google box
>instead of in the IE address bar.

I'd never install that crap, but why not just point to
http://toolbar.google.com ?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Stubbo of Oz wrote:

> I find it much easier to search from the Googls tool bar which you can
> get for free from here:-
>
> http://tinyurl.com/46msme
>
> Once it is installed, ..

...Google knows everything you do on teh interweb!!!

(I read that on a guy's blog.)

--
-bts

freemont

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:34:34 -0500, Mary Ann Simms writ:

> I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching. I have to go
> directly to Google to search for anything other than the exact address
> of something, for example, "http://www.amazon.com/. If I put "Amazon" in
> the IE address bar, I am told that the address is invalid, or that the
> website cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never
> had the problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions
> and nothing has helped with the problem. It is very annoying.
> Help???????

Try renaming your HOSTS file to HOSTS.old and see if the problem goes
away.

HOSTS is in system32/drivers/etc I think.
--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

Mike Litoris

"Mary Ann Simms" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
newsWF1l.17981$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:34:34 -0500, "Mary Ann Simms"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching.

>> not 24 hours ago.
>>
>> Ignore the posts from Chuckcar, he's an idiot.
>>
>> From: "Mary Ann Simms" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>> Subject: Address bar
>> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:39:09 -0500
>> --
>> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.

> For your information, Mr. Platt, or whoever you are, I tried all of the
> suggestions that were given to me, and nothing has worked. I STILL CAN"T
> SEARCH from IE address bar.
>
> Alan, I appreciate your courtesy. Yesterday I tried IE
> Options\Advanced\Search\and selected "Just go to the most likely site" and
> have checked on the setting again today. Nothing has changed. That is why
> I wrote again. I have been on the Internet searching (with Google)for help
> and have discovered that many people have the problem that I do and are
> just as frustrated as I am.

For your information, pleas ignore Evan Platt, too. He is a well known
drug-addict and heavy alcohol abuser in this group. Furthermore, he is a
ignorant fool.

HTH