Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ....Why I like digital

....Why I like digital

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

My romanian friend, jeni, 75 years old, bought a digital camera from Lidl,
not like my one, but a lesser, nut still good. I told her to buy an SD card,
which she did, 15 euros for a 1 GB Lexar card. She hardly ever believed that
she could take 1000 photos before the card would be full, and needed to come
to me to burn the contents on a dvd, and then format (or delete) the card
and starting afresh again. I even recharged for her the pair of NiMH
batteries that came with the camera. 15 euros would hardly suffice for
developing two 24 exp. films. , with many pictures of course being bad ones.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Pat

On Dec 15, 1:14*pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My romanian friend, jeni, 75 years old, bought a digital camera from Lidl,
> not like my one, but a lesser, nut still good. I told her to buy an SD card,
> which she did, 15 euros for a 1 GB Lexar card. She hardly ever believed that
> she could take 1000 photos before the card would be full, and needed to come
> to me to burn the contents on a dvd, and then format (or delete) the card
> and starting afresh again. I even recharged for her the pair of NiMH
> batteries that came with the camera. 15 euros would hardly suffice for
> developing two 24 exp. films. , with many pictures of course being bad ones.

My son is doing a report on former US President Gerald Ford. So for
the first time in a long time I went into my basement archives and
pulled out the contact sheets and negatives from when I photographed
Ford back in the early 80s. I shot a fully manual camera with a
pretty sophisticated flash -- for the time. It was a PR event so we
shot a LOT of pictures. I went through something like 15 contact
sheets with my son before I realized that there wasn't a single bad
exposure in the set. Every one right on and consistent with all of
the others. I was shocked.

Switching away from film -- where every exposure counted -- and to a
camera with automatic metering has led me to believe that the shear
ease of exposures now is contributing to many, many more bad
exposures. I am pretty certain that I have not went through 400 to
500 exposures now without blowing an exposure.

I don't know what it all means but I would attribute "bad ones" to
shooting film.

Dudley Hanks

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:31:42 -0800 (PST), Pat
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>My son is doing a report on former US President Gerald Ford. So for
>>the first time in a long time I went into my basement archives and
>>pulled out the contact sheets and negatives from when I photographed
>>Ford back in the early 80s. I shot a fully manual camera with a
>>pretty sophisticated flash -- for the time. It was a PR event so we
>>shot a LOT of pictures. I went through something like 15 contact
>>sheets with my son before I realized that there wasn't a single bad
>>exposure in the set. Every one right on and consistent with all of
>>the others. I was shocked.

> And good, or you've forgotten that you culled them. When shooting film
> semi-professionally I would typically cull 80%.
>
>>Switching away from film -- where every exposure counted -- and to a
>>camera with automatic metering has led me to believe that the shear
>>ease of exposures now is contributing to many, many more bad
>>exposures. ...

> Sure, but also many, many more good exposures -- there are now just more
> to cull and more to save.
> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas

And, let's not forget that the "pretty sophisticated" flash system for the
day was just starting to use light sensors to automatically set flash
output, and the camera was probably a first generation auto-exposure camera.

Of course, the justification for going with an innovative flash system and
the auto-exposure, back then, was to reduce the number of bad prints due to
quickly changing lighting conditions which photographers, especially
journalists, couldn't manually adjust for quickly enough....

Take Care,
Dudley

sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Dec 15, 1:14*pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Switching away from film -- where every exposure counted -- and to a
>camera with automatic metering has led me to believe that the shear
>ease of exposures now is contributing to many, many more bad
>exposures. I am pretty certain that I have not went through 400 to
>500 exposures now without blowing an exposure.
>
>I don't know what it all means but I would attribute "bad ones" to
>shooting film.

It means the tools have changed and you have changed to take full
advantage of the new tools.

Of course I hope you delete all the bad ones as soon as possible.
Just because you can take them cheaply and store them cheaply is no
excuse for keeping your junk shots that you likely would not have even
exposed back in the file days.

All that old junk just gets in the way of the keepers and makes
finding the right good image all that much more difficult.