Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > is there an upgrade path from xp32 to vista 64?

is there an upgrade path from xp32 to vista 64?

GS

or it must be a clean install?

I got the existing XP pro 32 os and data from a old Athlon 64 PC cloned to a
hard drive. I was able to boot up in a new Intel core 2PC with the new hard
drive in XP. Subsequently I was able to install all required new drivers and
re-activate. I do planned to cleanup the old PC and decommission the old
pc once the new pc becomes stable.

Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch out
for?

I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

Maratonmannen

You have to do a clean install.
There is no upgrade path from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Windoiws.

--
Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro
Core™ 2 Extreme X6800

"GS" wrote:

> or it must be a clean install?
>

> I got the existing XP pro 32 os and data from a old Athlon 64 PC cloned to a
> hard drive. I was able to boot up in a new Intel core 2PC with the new hard
> drive in XP. Subsequently I was able to install all required new drivers and
> re-activate. I do planned to cleanup the old PC and decommission the old
> pc once the new pc becomes stable.
>
> Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch out
> for?
>
> I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

John Barnes

You can use an upgrade version to go from XP to Vista64, but you must do a
clean install. The path is to gather all the drivers (you have done), a
list of all the programs you want to install, then gather the cd's and/or
downloads (checking for versions that are compatible with Vista64), then
either saving off all the data files, etc. that you want on Vista, or use
the Transfer Wizard (never worked for me). I suggest you have a complete
backup of your current system as you will probably remember something you
forgot as soon as you delete, create and format for the Vista64 install.

"GS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OJKb#(E-Mail Removed)...
> or it must be a clean install?
>

> I got the existing XP pro 32 os and data from a old Athlon 64 PC cloned to
> hard drive. I was able to boot up in a new Intel core 2PC with the new
> hard
> drive in XP. Subsequently I was able to install all required new drivers
> and
> re-activate. I do planned to cleanup the old PC and decommission the old
> pc once the new pc becomes stable.
>
> Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch out
> for?
>
> I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

Carlos

Hi,
I used to think the same but a few minutes ago I found this unsupported
workaround
http://www.xyhd.tv/2008/12/how-to/co...-vista-64-bit/
A little cumbersome, takes around 4 hours, but the author claims that it
works.
I'd rather go for a fresh install but if someone is interested in reading,
there you have the link.

Carlos

"Maratonmannen" wrote:

> You have to do a clean install.
> There is no upgrade path from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Windoiws.
>
> --
> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro
> Core™ 2 Extreme X6800
> 2 x VelociRaptor RAID 0
> 8GB DDR2 800MHz
> GeForce 8800GTX
> Eizo 30"
> Enermax 1000W 75A@+12V
> LAN 100/100
> XP x64 SP2 dualboot Vista x64 SP2
>

> "GS" wrote:
>
> > or it must be a clean install?
> >

> > I got the existing XP pro 32 os and data from a old Athlon 64 PC cloned to a
> > hard drive. I was able to boot up in a new Intel core 2PC with the new hard
> > drive in XP. Subsequently I was able to install all required new drivers and
> > re-activate. I do planned to cleanup the old PC and decommission the old
> > pc once the new pc becomes stable.
> >
> > Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch out
> > for?
> >
> > I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

Charlie Russel - MVP

There is no upgrade path from any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit
version of Windows. Full stop.

You must always do a clean install. You can, however, use Windows Easy
Transfer (on the Vista DVD) to capture your existing settings and restore
them when you have finished installing Vista 64. It actually works pretty
well. Doesn't solve the installed programs issue - you'll still need to
re-install your applications. But it does an excellent job of saving
settings and restoring them, IME.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"GS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OJKb%(E-Mail Removed)...
> or it must be a clean install?
>

> I got the existing XP pro 32 os and data from a old Athlon 64 PC cloned to
> hard drive. I was able to boot up in a new Intel core 2PC with the new
> hard
> drive in XP. Subsequently I was able to install all required new drivers
> and
> re-activate. I do planned to cleanup the old PC and decommission the old
> pc once the new pc becomes stable.
>
> Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch out
> for?
>
> I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

Charlie Russel - MVP

NOT going there. Even if you get to some endpoint that appears to work, I'd
never, ever trust it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I used to think the same but a few minutes ago I found this unsupported
> workaround.
> http://www.xyhd.tv/2008/12/how-to/co...-vista-64-bit/
> A little cumbersome, takes around 4 hours, but the author claims that it
> works.
> I'd rather go for a fresh install but if someone is interested in reading,
> there you have the link.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Maratonmannen" wrote:
>
>> You have to do a clean install.
>> There is no upgrade path from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Windoiws.
>>
>> --
>> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro
>> Core™ 2 Extreme X6800
>> 2 x VelociRaptor RAID 0
>> 8GB DDR2 800MHz
>> GeForce 8800GTX
>> Eizo 30"
>> Enermax 1000W 75A@+12V
>> LAN 100/100
>> XP x64 SP2 dualboot Vista x64 SP2
>>

>> "GS" wrote:
>>
>> > or it must be a clean install?
>> >

>> > I got the existing XP pro 32 os and data from a old Athlon 64 PC cloned
>> > to a
>> > hard drive. I was able to boot up in a new Intel core 2PC with the new
>> > hard
>> > drive in XP. Subsequently I was able to install all required new
>> > drivers and
>> > re-activate. I do planned to cleanup the old PC and decommission the
>> > old
>> > pc once the new pc becomes stable.
>> >
>> > Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch
>> > out
>> > for?
>> >
>> > I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

Carlos

Charlie,
One of the items that has helped me a LOT during fresh installs - which I
like better that upgrades and/or alchemist notes - is to have a printed copy
of all the steps I need to execute in order to have the OS and apps just as I
like them.
I have an updated long (printed) list of programs to install, its particular
settings, sequence, registry settings to tweak, options to modify, drivers to
install, ports to enable, page size to enable, international settings, you
name it.
I use this long list as a checklist in order to ensure that everything is in
place and nothing is missing.
If my wife is out of home I can have everything up and running in 4 hours.

Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> There is no upgrade path from any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit
> version of Windows. Full stop.
>
> You must always do a clean install. You can, however, use Windows Easy
> Transfer (on the Vista DVD) to capture your existing settings and restore
> them when you have finished installing Vista 64. It actually works pretty
> well. Doesn't solve the installed programs issue - you'll still need to
> re-install your applications. But it does an excellent job of saving
> settings and restoring them, IME.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "GS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OJKb%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > or it must be a clean install?
> >

> > I got the existing XP pro 32 os and data from a old Athlon 64 PC cloned to
> > hard drive. I was able to boot up in a new Intel core 2PC with the new
> > hard
> > drive in XP. Subsequently I was able to install all required new drivers
> > and
> > re-activate. I do planned to cleanup the old PC and decommission the old
> > pc once the new pc becomes stable.
> >
> > Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch out
> > for?
> >
> > I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

Charlie Russel-MVP

Excellent process, Carlos. We call this "standardized work", and it's the
absolute prerequisite to making the process easier and simpler. I spent many
years working for Toyota, and then many more drilling this into my techs in
startups so they would be able to recover quickly in case of a disaster.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie,
> One of the items that has helped me a LOT during fresh installs - which I
> like better that upgrades and/or alchemist notes - is to have a printed
> copy
> of all the steps I need to execute in order to have the OS and apps just
> as I
> like them.
> I have an updated long (printed) list of programs to install, its
> particular
> settings, sequence, registry settings to tweak, options to modify, drivers
> install, ports to enable, page size to enable, international settings, you
> name it.
> I use this long list as a checklist in order to ensure that everything is
> in
> place and nothing is missing.
> If my wife is out of home I can have everything up and running in 4 hours.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> There is no upgrade path from any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit
>> version of Windows. Full stop.
>>
>> You must always do a clean install. You can, however, use Windows Easy
>> Transfer (on the Vista DVD) to capture your existing settings and restore
>> them when you have finished installing Vista 64. It actually works pretty
>> well. Doesn't solve the installed programs issue - you'll still need to
>> re-install your applications. But it does an excellent job of saving
>> settings and restoring them, IME.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>
>> "GS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OJKb%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > or it must be a clean install?
>> >

>> > I got the existing XP pro 32 os and data from a old Athlon 64 PC cloned
>> > hard drive. I was able to boot up in a new Intel core 2PC with the new
>> > hard
>> > drive in XP. Subsequently I was able to install all required new
>> > drivers
>> > and
>> > re-activate. I do planned to cleanup the old PC and decommission the
>> > old
>> > pc once the new pc becomes stable.
>> >
>> > Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch
>> > out
>> > for?
>> >
>> > I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

Carlos

Toyota, they surely know about procedures, discipline and productivity.
We were in the way of becoming a Toyota supplier for electronic subassys for
their cars and then this worldwide issue with the automotive industry
started!.
Now we are back to square one.
Carlos

"Charlie Russel-MVP" wrote:

> Excellent process, Carlos. We call this "standardized work", and it's the
> absolute prerequisite to making the process easier and simpler. I spent many
> years working for Toyota, and then many more drilling this into my techs in
> startups so they would be able to recover quickly in case of a disaster.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Charlie,
> > One of the items that has helped me a LOT during fresh installs - which I
> > like better that upgrades and/or alchemist notes - is to have a printed
> > copy
> > of all the steps I need to execute in order to have the OS and apps just
> > as I
> > like them.
> > I have an updated long (printed) list of programs to install, its
> > particular
> > settings, sequence, registry settings to tweak, options to modify, drivers
> > install, ports to enable, page size to enable, international settings, you
> > name it.
> > I use this long list as a checklist in order to ensure that everything is
> > in
> > place and nothing is missing.
> > If my wife is out of home I can have everything up and running in 4 hours.
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> There is no upgrade path from any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit
> >> version of Windows. Full stop.
> >>
> >> You must always do a clean install. You can, however, use Windows Easy
> >> Transfer (on the Vista DVD) to capture your existing settings and restore
> >> them when you have finished installing Vista 64. It actually works pretty
> >> well. Doesn't solve the installed programs issue - you'll still need to
> >> re-install your applications. But it does an excellent job of saving
> >> settings and restoring them, IME.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> >>
> >> "GS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:OJKb%(E-Mail Removed)...

Zootal

That is not an upgrade. Notice Step Four: Clean Install Vista 64.

All this does is make it easier to transfer files and settings after you do
a CLEAN INSTALL of Vista 64.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...