Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Hard drive photo finding

Hard drive photo finding

Benlars

>>This will find all photos including those he doesn't want (i.e. - image
>>files associated with various programs and menus, etc.)

> On the contrary -- it will only find his saved image files. Try it
> yourself. And it can easily show him the images with thumbnails. And
> he can select by size and/or date and time.
> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas
> [PLEASE NOTE: Ads belong *only* in rec.photo.marketplace.digital, as per
> <http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm> <http://rpdfaq.50megs.com/>]

I apologize if I misunderstood the method. I assumed that it would be a
search for *.jpg (or .bmp, .gif, etc). In which case, the Windows search
function (if searching the entire hard drive) would also find jpg and other
image format files that were loaded onto the computer during the
installation of programs (not, obviously, those that were embedded within a
program exe or dll file). Such separate image files are often used for
various purposes by programmers and are placed on the hard drive as part of
the program installation process. These would be easily recognized since
they would most likely be in folders such as C:\Program Files\Program ABC,
etc. and could be easily ignored as long as the search's result was sorted
by the In Folder column.

Jürgen Exner

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:25:07 GMT, "Benlars" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
><D2z1l.339$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>> Windows Search. Search for images, creating a result folder. Select
>>> all images in the result folder, and then Move them to a new folder.
>>> Simple. No other software needed.

>>This will find all photos including those he doesn't want (i.e. - image
>>files associated with various programs and menus, etc.)

>On the contrary -- it will only find his saved image files. Try it
>yourself. And it can easily show him the images with thumbnails. And
>he can select by size and/or date and time.

And on top of that it is trivial to limit the search to those
directories that contain your photos, regardless which OS he is running
or which search tool he is using. At least for any search utility I am
aware of.

jue

ray

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:40:41 -0800, John Navas wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2008 20:39:55 GMT, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:01:32 -0800, John Navas wrote:

>>> I checked the headers of his posting.

>>Could very possibly be posting from another machine. It happens all the
>>time - work vs home, etc.

> I also checked the time he posted.
>
> Give it up.

Since I see you are totally intractable, I will.

DRS

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)

[...]

> Windows XP has "Search", and you can search for all files ending in
> ".jpg" (or anything else). You can then block highlight and move
> those files to one folder.

One minor point: by default XP has "Hide extensions for known file types"
turned on. This will not stop Windows Search from finding ".jpg" files,
etc, but it can make life more difficult when manually browsing with My
Computer or Windows Explorer. This setting can be turned off via Tools >
Folder Options... > View tab.

seth1066

Man, do I feel dumb. Yes, it is Windows and thanks to John for
suggesting the uber simple method; I was thinking in terms of some
click oriented software. After a disk backup, I'll just do searches
for .jpg, .crw, .nef. ,psd, etc. and move all the the loose ones under
C:\ and then move the directories that contain just photo files. Then
rerun the search to pick up any stragglers in other folders. Thanks.

seth1066

On Dec 15, 11:52*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:33:20 -0800 (PST), seth1066 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
> >different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
> >find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
> >for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
> >it will allow the move to a new location.

> Windows Search. *Search for images, creating a result folder. *Select
> all images in the result folder, and then Move them to a new folder.
> Simple. *No other software needed.
> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas
> [PLEASE NOTE: Ads belong *only* in rec.photo.marketplace.digital, as per
> <http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm> <http://rpdfaq.50megs.com/>]

Man, do I feel dumb. Yes, it is Windows and thanks to John for
suggesting the uber simple method; I was thinking in terms of some
click oriented software. After a disk backup, I'll just do searches
for .jpg, .crw, .nef. ,psd, etc. and move all the loose ones under
C:\ and then move the directories that contain just photo files. Then
rerun the search to pick up any stragglers in other folders. Thanks!

Chris Malcolm

seth1066 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 10:46?am, DavidM <newsNO@_SPAMdjmorgan.org.uk> wrote:
>> seth1066 wrote:
>> > I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
>> > different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
>> > find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
>> > for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
>> > it will allow the move to a new location.

>> You can export all images from Picassa as a webpage. It's a strange way
>> to do it, but select the webpage export option, then tell it to use
>> "original image size" and select a very basic layout option. Picassa
>> will construct a webstie (not what you want) and put all of the images
>> in a folder called "images" (what you want) plus another full of thumbnails.
>> I'm sure there used to be a proper "export images" option in Picassa,
>> have they removed it?
>>
>> DavidM

> That's a lot of work, there are thousands of images. Looking for a non
> Picasa method.

It would take the computer a lot of work, not you. You just have to
issue the general command and then find something else to do while it
gets on with it.

--
Chris Malcolm

Eric Stevens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:55:37 -0800 (PST), seth1066
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Dec 15, 10:46*am, DavidM <newsNO@_SPAMdjmorgan.org.uk> wrote:
>> seth1066 wrote:
>> > I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
>> > different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
>> > find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
>> > for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
>> > it will allow the move to a new location.

>> You can export all images from Picassa as a webpage. It's a strange way
>> to do it, but select the webpage export option, then tell it to use
>> "original image size" and select a very basic layout option. Picassa
>> will construct a webstie (not what you want) and put all of the images
>> in a folder called "images" (what you want) plus another full of thumbnails.
>> I'm sure there used to be a proper "export images" option in Picassa,
>> have they removed it?
>>
>> DavidM

>That's a lot of work, there are thousands of images. Looking for a non
>Picasa method.

If you are using Windows you can do it with 'Find'. I know, I've just
done it.

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:57:27 -0500, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:01:29 -0800, Jürgen Exner
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>seth1066 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
>>>different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
>>>find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
>>>for ease of backup?

>>Any operating system I know of has build-in tools that allow do to that
>>as a standard operation. Unfortunately you are not telling us which OS
>>you are using.

>Windows XP has "Search", and you can search for all files ending in
>".jpg" (or anything else). You can then block highlight and move
>those files to one folder.

<Ctrl - a> selects everything in the window.

Eric Stevens

John G.

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:33:38 +1300, Eric Stevens
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:55:37 -0800 (PST), seth1066
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>That's a lot of work, there are thousands of images. Looking for a non
>>>Picasa method.

>>If you are using Windows you can do it with 'Find'. I know, I've just
>>done it.

> Find? How? Windows Find searches for text within files:
>
> Searches for a specific string of text in a file or files. After
> searching the specified file or files, find displays any lines of
> text that contain the specified string.
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of POSIX Find?
> --
> Best regards,
> John

Windows FIND has been called SEARCH for many years and will find by File
name, date, content, size etc.
Just click the START then SEARCH.

John G.