Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA NONE in Ad hoc with SP2 vs. SP3

WPA NONE in Ad hoc with SP2 vs. SP3

Jonny

hi, i 'm using wireless network adapters with xp sp2, and recentely
encountering little problem, sp2 supports wpanone authentication and tkip/aes
encryptions in ad-hoc, but when i update sp3 or install wpa2 support kb, wzc
shows wpanone is removed,
Can i remove wpanone authentication with xp sp2 if my adatpter don't support
it, What should i do?

Lem

Jonny wrote:
> hi, i 'm using wireless network adapters with xp sp2, and recentely
> encountering little problem, sp2 supports wpanone authentication and tkip/aes
> encryptions in ad-hoc, but when i update sp3 or install wpa2 support kb, wzc
> shows wpanone is removed,
> Can i remove wpanone authentication with xp sp2 if my adatpter don't support
> it, What should i do?

Unless you're using Vista, which enables WPA2 even for ad hoc wireless
networks, what you *should* do is get a router and implement WPA2-PSK
(if your adapter supports it) or at least WPA-PSK (AES). (Actually, I
don't know how Vista implements WPA2 for ad hoc networks, and I don't
know how secure such networks really are.)

For a more detailed discussion, see this archived thread from
(pre-Vista) 2006:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8209f1075f5709

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
For End-Users Ad-HOC id kind of a "Lame Mode" from the times that Wireless
Router were expensive.
You can get an Inexpensive Wireless Router and use regular infrastructure
mode (any Router would do better than Ad-Hoc).
In any case if WPA2 (WPA-AES) is Not supported use regular WPA it should be
supported with most Wireless card working with Win XP, and Vista.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi, i 'm using wireless network adapters with xp sp2, and recentely
> encountering little problem, sp2 supports wpanone authentication and
> tkip/aes
> encryptions in ad-hoc, but when i update sp3 or install wpa2 support kb,
> wzc
> shows wpanone is removed,
> Can i remove wpanone authentication with xp sp2 if my adatpter don't
> support
> it, What should i do?

Jonny

Thanks for your reply!
i'm a driver developer,now i wonder if i can remove wpanone authentication
from wzc property settings wiht sp2, i have done with sp3 through
OID_802_11_CAPABILITY, but sp2 don't support this OID.