Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Address bar

Address bar

Mary Ann Simms

I use XP and Internet Explorer 7. For about a week I have not been able to
search from my address bar, even though Google is my default search engine.
If I put an address in the address bar, I always get an error saying
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage," and I have to go directly to
Google to search. I have been to Tools\Internet Options\\Advanced\Do not
search with address bar, and have left "do not search with address bar"
unchecked. Where do I go from here to get my address bar to work correctly?

chuckcar

"Mary Ann Simms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:jsj1l.309$(E-Mail Removed):

> I use XP and Internet Explorer 7. For about a week I have not been able
> to search from my address bar, even though Google is my default search
> engine. If I put an address in the address bar, I always get an error
> saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage," and I have to go
> directly to Google to search. I have been to Tools\Internet
> Options\\Advanced\Do not search with address bar, and have left "do not
> search with address bar" unchecked. Where do I go from here to get my
> address bar to work correctly?

Put the checkmark in. If you don't put in a valid url, that is something
preceeded with a protocol, a colon and two slashes, you're entering a
search. http is a protocol, so is ftp, gopher, archie, veronica and
jughead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_search_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughead_(computer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_(computer)

Just in case you blink at those last three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Url

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

richard

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 03:29:09 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Mary Ann Simms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:jsj1l.309$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I use XP and Internet Explorer 7. For about a week I have not been able
>> to search from my address bar, even though Google is my default search
>> engine. If I put an address in the address bar, I always get an error
>> saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage," and I have to go
>> directly to Google to search. I have been to Tools\Internet
>> Options\\Advanced\Do not search with address bar, and have left "do not
>> search with address bar" unchecked. Where do I go from here to get my
>> address bar to work correctly?

>Put the checkmark in. If you don't put in a valid url, that is something
>preceeded with a protocol, a colon and two slashes, you're entering a
>search. http is a protocol, so is ftp, gopher, archie, veronica and
>jughead.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_search_engine
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughead_(computer)
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_(computer)
>
>Just in case you blink at those last three.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Url

I was just looking at mine.
Clicked on the provided yahoo search bar in the upper right corner to
get the choices.
Clicked on "change search defaults".
new box shows that yahoo is the default.
nothing else listed.
Clicked on "find more providers".
Firefox takes over.
Click on the resulting page for google.
"can't do that it already exists".
and around and around she goes.
which is why refrain from using IE at all.

alan

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Mary Ann Simms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:jsj1l.309$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I use XP and Internet Explorer 7. For about a week I have not been able
>> to search from my address bar, even though Google is my default search
>> engine. If I put an address in the address bar, I always get an error
>> saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage," and I have to go
>> directly to Google to search. I have been to Tools\Internet
>> Options\\Advanced\Do not search with address bar, and have left "do not
>> search with address bar" unchecked. Where do I go from here to get my
>> address bar to work correctly?

> Put the checkmark in. If you don't put in a valid url, that is something
> preceeded with a protocol, a colon and two slashes, you're entering a
> search. http is a protocol, so is ftp, gopher, archie, veronica and
> jughead.

[...]

Are you always so full of misinformation?!? Where in the hell do you come
up with this crap?
Microsoft advises (unsurprsingly) that putting the checkmark *in* will
*disable* AutoSearch from the address bar:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...ivacy_pr7.mspx

"To turn AutoSearch off:

1.
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click Internet
Options.

2.
Click the Advanced tab.

3.
In the Search from the Address bar section, select Do not search from
the Address bar."

--
alan

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are you always so full of misinformation?!? Where in the hell do you come
>up with this crap?

Amazing isn't it, and it's nonstop.
--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...misconceptions

VanguardLH

Mary Ann Simms wrote:

> I use XP and Internet Explorer 7. For about a week I have not been able to
> search from my address bar, even though Google is my default search engine.
> If I put an address in the address bar, I always get an error saying
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage," and I have to go directly to
> Google to search. I have been to Tools\Internet Options\\Advanced\Do not
> search with address bar, and have left "do not search with address bar"
> unchecked. Where do I go from here to get my address bar to work correctly?

IE7 has both an address bar and a search box in the same menu row.
Which one are you using? For the search box, which provider is selected
as the default? Is that the one you use?

In advanced settings under the "Search from Address Bar" category, what
option do you have selected? If "Just display the results in the main
window" is enabled, just how are you entering the search? Are you using
one of the following search directives?

"? <string>"
"go <string>"
"find <string>"

Did you install some search engine toolbar (Google Toolbar, Yahoo
Toolbar, MSN Toolbar, etc.)?