Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Death To Used-Game Sales

Death To Used-Game Sales

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games are "hurting the industry" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-used-game-sales-extremely-painful>.

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Dec 14, 10:26*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games are "hurting the industry" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-use...>.

A highly profitable business so lots of people have moved in, so lots
to choose from...so the companies now complain about "lost
profits"...yet from what I have seen its usually older games get
swapped in and the money gets used to buy new...

regards

Thing

Peter M

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:26:51 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games are "hurting the industry" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-used-game-sales-extremely-painful>.

You still don't know how to Rap lines..??

The Music industry has tried to stop the selling of Used Audio CD's

Its not hurting the Industry, its the Industry is far to Greedy

Nik Coughlin

"Peter M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You still don't know how to Rap lines..??

What's brown and rhymes with snoop?

Dr Dre.

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:45:29 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games
>> are "hurting the industry"
>>

><http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-used-game-sales-extremely-painful>.
>
>Then the companies that make the games should have a "no resale" clause in
>the licensing agreement on the game packaging.

That would have to be visible from the outside and it would have to be
pointed out by the sales person to be valid in NZ. Here, when you buy
something, the contract is made when the sale takes place. Nothing
inside the packet or likely not to be noticed by someone buying it can
change the contract made when the money was handed over.

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Dec 14, 10:26*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games are "hurting the industry" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-use...>.

The CGA says you have the right to sell it....

regards

Thing

richms

On Dec 15, 3:48*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Dec 14, 10:26*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> > Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games are "hurting the industry" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-use...>.

> The CGA says you have the right to sell it....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

You have the right to sell it, the purchaser may not end up with the
right to use the software without paying an additional license however.

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Dec 15, 11:45*am, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games
> > are "hurting the industry"

> <http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-use...>.
>
> Then the companies that make the games should have a "no resale" clause in
> the licensing agreement on the game packaging.
> --
> A.

They cant....CGA.

regards

Thing

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Dec 15, 11:03*pm, richms <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 3:48*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > On Dec 14, 10:26*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-

> > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> > > Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games are "hurting the industry" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-use...>.

> > The CGA says you have the right to sell it....

> > regards

> > Thing

> You have the right to sell it, the purchaser may not end up with the
> right to use the software without paying an additional license however.

In which case you dont have the right to sell it un-
emcumbered....which is what the CGA effectively says you do have.

regards

Thing

Mutlley

Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:45:29 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> Atari is the latest game publisher to complain that sales of used games
>>> are "hurting the industry"
>>>

>><http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/04/atari-calls-used-game-sales-extremely-painful>.
>>
>>Then the companies that make the games should have a "no resale" clause in
>>the licensing agreement on the game packaging.

>That would have to be visible from the outside and it would have to be
>pointed out by the sales person to be valid in NZ. Here, when you buy
>something, the contract is made when the sale takes place. Nothing
>inside the packet or likely not to be noticed by someone buying it can
>change the contract made when the money was handed over.

Bet the RIAA and MPAA are kicking themselves for not having the same
clause on the outside of CDs and DVDs etc..