Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Powershot SX10

Powershot SX10

David J Taylor

measekite wrote:
[]
> That is why I am thinking of an SD880. They say the controls are
> better than other Canon P&S and the LCD is brilliant and visible
> during the day in the sun. To gain those features and the 28mm eqv
> wide I would be giving up on the tele end and giving up an optical
> viewfinder that I like.

I carry a compact as well as the DSLR. I went for the Panasonic TZ3,
which has a good LCD viewfinder and a 28-280mm image stabilised lens. No
need to give up on the tele if you want 28mm wide. No optical finder (at
reasonable size, cost and size) is going to cover a 10:1 zoom range, and
your present S5 doesn't have one.

Cheers,
David

SMS

measekite wrote:

> That is why I am thinking of an SD880. They say the controls are better
> than other Canon P&S and the LCD is brilliant and visible during the day
> in the sun. To gain those features and the 28mm eqv wide I would be
> giving up on the tele end and giving up an optical viewfinder that I like.

Try to find an SD800. You get both the 28mm _and_ the optical
viewfinder. Plus you get lower noise due to the lower pixel density.

Install CHDK on it, and you get some nice extra features like histogram.

SMS

measekite wrote:

> But notwithstanding brands or models or even camera type it is a known
> fact that larger sensors with the same number of pixels can produce better
> images; especially when cropped and enlarged.

That's one of the key issues that's important for buyers to understand.
Certainly there are occasions when you can get by just fine with a P&S,
i.e. good lighting, stationary subjects, somewhere in the sweet spot of
a very wide focal range lens, and when you don't need to do cropping and
enlarging (which highlights the problems with high-noise sensors, lack
of dynamic range, and lens problems). This is something I patiently
explain to every colleague, relative, and friend that asks me for advice
on which camera to purchase.

Using a table to show them what they can expect from each type of camera
is often helpful, i.e.:

Print Size versus Megapixels versus Camera Type

Mp Type 4x6 5x7 8x10 13x18 16x20 24x36
-- ---- ----- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
6 P&S Good Fair Poor Poor Poor Poor
6 D-SLR Good Good Good Good Fair Poor
8 P&S Good Good Fair Poor Poor Poor
8 D-SLR Good Good Good Good Good Fair
10 P&S Good Good Good Fair Poor Poor
10 D-SLR Good Good Good Good Good Good
12 P&S Good Good Good Good Fair Poor
12 D-SLR Good Good Good Good Good Good
14 D-SLR Good Good Good Good Good Good
16 D-SLR Good Good Good Good Good Good
20 D-SLR Good Good Good Good Good Good

It's sometimes hard to explain to non-technical types the reasons why
they need to look at more than just focal length and megapixels, and why
they may want to consider spending more on a D-SLR. Explaining about why
the AF lag on the P&S is so bad is often easier than explaining about
sensor noise and dynamic range.

Explaining something like CHDK to a novice is like talking a foreign
language. Besides what they have to do to load it on the camera
(including putting it on every memory card they have), it's a challenge
to explain to them why they might want to use it. I really need to go
back and update some of the documentation that I wrote on CHDK in a less
technical way.

SMS

Stephen Henning wrote:
> measekite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> But notwithstanding brands or models or even camera type it is a known
>> fact that larger sensors with the same number of pixels can produce better
>> images; especially when cropped and enlarged.

> That is entirely true, but larger sensors also require much larger
> pieces of glass, heavy glass and interchangeable lenses that allow dust
> on the sensor.

Dust is not as much of a problem as in the past due to automatic sensor
cleaning systems.