Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dpreview wants to cater to the simple people

Dpreview wants to cater to the simple people

RichA

Boo hoo hoo! The interfaces on the DSLRs and current P&S's confuse
them. They long for the simplicity of their iphones. Figures an
Apple fan would be crying about not understanding technology.

http://blog.dpreview.com/editorial/2...ase-for-a.html

PixelPix

On Dec 14, 5:04*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:10:25 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >Boo hoo hoo! *The interfaces on the DSLRs and current P&S's confuse
> >them. *They long for the simplicity of their iphones. *Figures an
> >Apple fan would be crying about not understanding technology.

> >http://blog.dpreview.com/editorial/2...ase-for-a.html

> I think the editorial is spot on.
> --

Agreed!

David J Taylor

John Navas wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:58:23 -0500, "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)>

[]
>> Only for people for whom reading an owner's manual is like pulling
>> teeth.

> It shouldn't be necessary to read an owner's manual to use the
> product. I can get in any car and drive it without reading the
> owner's manual. It's called standardized controls.

People should test-drive the camera they are interested in. I've had no
problems with any of the Nikon digital or film cameras I've owned - SLR,
compact and DSLR. I chose Nikon DSLR over Canon because of the handling -
much more important than how the manual is written, at least to me. Most
of the controls of today's cameras are fairly standardised, perhaps not
quite as much as those of a car.

David

David J Taylor

John Navas wrote:
[]
> Good advice, but how do you think they should do that? I think that
> generally means going to a local dealer, and I think that creates an
> obligation to buy from that dealer -- doing that and then buying
> online to get a cheaper price (from a seller that's not paying for a
> retail storefront and demo equipment) isn't reasonable or fair. How
> many people do you think are prepared to do that?

My takes on that has been that I am prepared to pay a small markup for
local service, and the prices at my local Jessops (UK chain store) are
reasonable. When I last checked, the prices at the small independant
shops were a lot higher and when I asked the shops about this they said
that the Internet price I could get was cheaper than the price they paid
wholesale. At least one of those shops has now closed.

>> Most
>> of the controls of today's cameras are fairly standardised, perhaps
>> not quite as much as those of a car.

> My own take is that they aren't even close to that kind of
> standardization, that camera controls vary greatly, especially from
> manufacturer to manufacturer, and that it all too often takes
> considerable time and effort to learn a new layout.

I happened to be in the situation of having a new compact camera one
evening, and needing to use it for a one-off event the next day. It was
very similar to other cameras - a four way dial, on-off switch, menu to
disable flash, zoom control, image replay function. Of course, learning
the fine points may have required some time, but basic usage was there
right away (in fact the camera might have failed for its target audience
otherwise). Another occasion - I was helping a friend buy their first
digital camera. They had decided on a Canon A640 (IIRC). I had no
problems just picking that camera up and using it. I'm sure you could
have done the same.

Cheers,
David

Chris Malcolm

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:58:23 -0500, "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:10:25 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote in

>>> I think the editorial is spot on.

>>Only for people for whom reading an owner's manual is like pulling teeth.

> It shouldn't be necessary to read an owner's manual to use the product.
> I can get in any car and drive it without reading the owner's manual.
> It's called standardized controls.

And that's the reason one needs to read camera manuals: lack of
standardised controls.

--
Chris Malcolm

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Boo hoo hoo! The interfaces on the DSLRs and current P&S's confuse
>them. They long for the simplicity of their iphones. Figures an
>Apple fan would be crying about not understanding technology.
>
>http://blog.dpreview.com/editorial/2...ase-for-a.html

You are an idiot.

Just as an example I will point out that the number of computers being
sold that still provide only a command-line interface is roughly zero.
Despite the fact that eleitist snobs like you think that everything
shoudl be difficult, then people who have the dollars don't want to
spend their money on needlessly complex products.

--
Ray Fischer

David J Taylor

John Navas wrote:
[]
> I care about the fine points -- hit or miss (aka basic usage) isn't
> good enough. I rarely rely entirely on the camera -- I'm usually
> tweaking a bit, exposure compensation, forced flash, backlighting
> compensation, selective focus, depth of field control, shutter speed
> control.
> I suspect you're much the same.

I tweak occasionally, yes, but usually I'm more interested in getting the
picture. These tweaks may be no more than learning how to use the radio
or GPS system on a new car, while the basics of driving or photographing
can be taken for granted. Well, almost.

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

John Navas wrote:
[]
> I guess you're just more intuitive or clever or lucky than I am --
> I badly blew a shot just this past week because I couldn't figure out
> how to set forced flash.

Simply setting flash on/off/auto is usually OK - but setting the flash
power might need the manual!

<G>

David

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >People should test-drive the camera they are interested in.

> Good advice, but how do you think they should do that? I think that
> generally means going to a local dealer, and I think that creates an
> obligation to buy from that dealer -- doing that and then buying online
> to get a cheaper price (from a seller that's not paying for a retail
> storefront and demo equipment) isn't reasonable or fair. How many
> people do you think are prepared to do that?

many people do go to a local camera store and then buy on line because
the local prices are often ridiculous and the stores refuse to budge on
price. also, there are stores where the cameras are all out on display
so you don't have to bother any salesperson at all and you can take as
much time as you want playing with them without any obligation
whatsoever.

Paul Furman

RichA wrote:
> Boo hoo hoo! The interfaces on the DSLRs and current P&S's confuse
> them. They long for the simplicity of their iphones. Figures an
> Apple fan would be crying about not understanding technology.
>
> http://blog.dpreview.com/editorial/2...ase-for-a.html

Of course everyone wants their camera to have an intuitive interface but
getting 100s of options to fit is hard. Things do improve though. Moving
up from a D70 to D200 I noticed a significant improvement in the menu
system and the body has more knobs, dials & buttons. For menu diving,
the D200 has a 'recent settings' menu so it's easy to find the stuff you
were twiddling and the most used goes to the top of that list. The D700
has yet another nice level of improvement for the menu & controls and
instead of recent settings it has 'my menu' where you have to
specifically add items but then you can put the one you want on the top
and using something odd once doesn't automatically clutter things up
like the D200.

Children have no problem grabbing a new camera or cell phone and
negotiating the buttons, even with an advanced DSLR. They are fairly
standardized.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net