Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > google hijacking?

google hijacking?

richard

Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
experiencing something odd with google.
I use Firefox 2.

Makes no difference what search I do. The first 5 or 10 hits always
get hijacked.
Here's an example. I just searched for "RIAA".
Hit #1 www.riaa.com/
Click #1:
http://www.yellowbook.com/?se=7&cid=...roc%2bbusiness
click #2:
http://www.blinkx.com/category/news?...-300-404-1&p=1
click #3
http://www.blinkx.com/video/they-sai...YQyb4wnR4dA/rf
click #4:
www.riaa.com

Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site on
the first click.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

Consider upgrading to version 3.

> Makes no difference what search I do. The first 5 or 10 hits always
> get hijacked. Here's an example. I just searched for "RIAA".

produced these first four:
http://www.riaa.com/
http://www.riaa.com/aboutus.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA
http://www.boycott-riaa.com/

> Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
> Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site
> on the first click.

I'd bet on your spyware or sumpin'.

Try cleaning out your history and cache.

--
-bts

richard

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:03:27 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>richard wrote:
>
>> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
>> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

>Consider upgrading to version 3.

I was using 3. There was an issue with downloading. If during
downloading the page you were on changed, the downloader would be
tricked into thinking the download was done when the new page loaded.

richard wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> richard wrote:
>>> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
>>> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

>> Consider upgrading to version 3.

> I was using 3.

...but.. not when you had this google problem? Or did you mean ??

> There was an issue with downloading. If during downloading the page
> you were on changed,

Downloading what? Link to a file? Or do you mean "grabbing the page
itself from the server?" Was there supposed to be a comma between
"downloading" and "the page?"

> the downloader would be tricked into thinking the download was done
> when the new page loaded.

Were you were doing a 'refresh' before the whole page loaded? I can't
see any other way a page could 'change' once you first asked for it. You
will have to explain this so-called downloading problem using better
sentence structure.

I'd guess news pages would be the most likely to change frequently. I
read numerous news sites several times a day, and have never noticed
Firefox 3 to be 'tricked' into anything.

In any case, I've been using Firefox 3 since it was released and have
seen no symptoms as you describe (for whatever meaning you meant).

[snip rest as you didn't address it]

--
-bts

elaich

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gi0mcf$pme$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
>> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

> Consider upgrading to version 3.

I just went back to 2. 3 isn't ready for prime time yet, and it's slowly
becoming an annoying, hand holding net nanny.

"You appear to have add-ons that are not compatible with Firefox 3, so all
compatibility checking has been disabled."

3 wouldn't remember passwords properly, and was prone to forgetting my last
session. I also don't like what they did to the bookmarking system in 3.

There's a reason Mozilla is still supporting 2. They know 3 isn't anywhere
near ready.

catchme

elaich wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gi0mcf$pme$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
>>> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

>> Consider upgrading to version 3.

> I just went back to 2. 3 isn't ready for prime time yet, and it's slowly
> becoming an annoying, hand holding net nanny.
>
> "You appear to have add-ons that are not compatible with Firefox 3, so all
> compatibility checking has been disabled."

i havent encountered that particular problem....

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

catchme wrote:

> elaich wrote:
>>>
>>> Consider upgrading to version 3.

>> I just went back to 2. 3 isn't ready for prime time yet, and it's
>> slowly becoming an annoying, hand holding net nanny.
>>
>> "You appear to have add-ons that are not compatible with Firefox 3,
>> so all compatibility checking has been disabled."

> i havent encountered that particular problem....

Neither have I. <wonders what add-ons he has...>

--
-bts

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
>Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site on
>the first click.

Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe

No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.

And whatever it is could be in your restore points. so turn restore
off.
--

I had to borrow my sisters PC for the LAN party
http://pixftw.com/2008/08/20/i-had-t...the-lan-party/

richard

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:48:14 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
>>Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site on
>>the first click.

>Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
>http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe
>
>No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
>log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
>course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.
>
>And whatever it is could be in your restore points. so turn restore
>off.

I did. It didn't find anything that could be the culprit.
Noting some programs I have were shown as "NASTY!".
Simply because I don't have them in their default locations.
Another program I have used for years was reported as a virus.
Couple of programs I've used were shown as UNKNOWN.

So I'm assuming that there is something in FF which is causing this to
happen.

At least it's not with all the hits. Just the first 10 or so.

richard

SOLVED!

Installed and ran malwarebytes.
Found I had 6 items that were marked as "Dns changer" and 3 trojans.
Now when I click on the first hit, I get that web page.