Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > IrfanView Thumbnails - multiple selection?

IrfanView Thumbnails - multiple selection?

John Weston

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> That was the first thing I tried, but it doesn't work here. A new
> thumbnail close to the location clicked is always selected!
>
> After further tests, I think it's because I'm using 200 x 200
> thumbnails. In effect, there's no 'empty' space left. Switching to 100
> x 100 it works OK. At 150 x 150 I can manage to de-select after
> several careful attempts.

Mmm - I also have 200x200 set at the minute, to simulate what you have
and, because I also display the filename, I can click to the side of the
name which is an unused space, thereby de-selecting the images

If you select "Paint thumbnail borders", it makes it easier to see the
unused space. Also gives a slight 3-D appearance, making the image look
like it's in a slide holder.
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice

Terry Pinnell

John Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> That was the first thing I tried, but it doesn't work here. A new
>> thumbnail close to the location clicked is always selected!
>>
>> After further tests, I think it's because I'm using 200 x 200
>> thumbnails. In effect, there's no 'empty' space left. Switching to 100
>> x 100 it works OK. At 150 x 150 I can manage to de-select after
>> several careful attempts.
>>

>Mmm - I also have 200x200 set at the minute, to simulate what you have
>and, because I also display the filename, I can click to the side of the
>name which is an unused space, thereby de-selecting the images
>
>If you select "Paint thumbnail borders", it makes it easier to see the
>unused space. Also gives a slight 3-D appearance, making the image look
>like it's in a slide holder.

Got it, thanks John. The clickable rectangle of unused space is in
fact quite large. I was apparently clicking everywhere but there!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Keith nuttle

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> John Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

In trying to follow what was being described I discovered something new
with Irfanview. In the thumbnail if you click on the right mouse key,
you can save the highlighted file names to a text file. Great for
entering data in to a database of your pictures.

More convenient that a batch file with "dir *.jpg > text.txt"

Jürgen Exner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:03:45 -0800, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >Have a look at a program called Total Commander. Put it in Thumbnail View and right click to select. In the other window you can
>> >have the destination directory so you can simply hit the COPY button to send them where you want them.

>> Please hard wrap your lines to no more than 80 characters, as per Usenet
>> guidelines. Thanks.

>You should set Agent to Word Wrap. You will find it under the View menu.

And why exactly should thousands of readers worldwide work around a
problem that is caused by you not following established Usenet customs
that have been poven sound for the past 2 decades?

jue

Terry Pinnell

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:51:40 -0500, Keith nuttle
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
><UbP1l.9185$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>> John Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>snip
>>
>>In trying to follow what was being described I discovered something new
>>with Irfanview. In the thumbnail if you click on the right mouse key,
>>you can save the highlighted file names to a text file. Great for
>>entering data in to a database of your pictures.
>>
>>More convenient that a batch file with "dir *.jpg > text.txt"

>Why not use an application that catalogs and tags images?
>Makes a lot more sense to me.

Any particular apps in mind, John?

I re-installed Picasa (which updated itself to v 3) yesterday, simply
because I wanted to use a few of its editing features that I really
like (e.g fill with light, and the ultra-simple horizon leveler). It's
also an attractive viewer. But, as on all the previous occasions I've
opened Picasa, I find its unfamiliar, non-standard UI off-putting. Yet
it does have categories and tags and albums, of the sort I presume you
had in mind?

Mind you, if I ever did get around to using Picasa or any other
'tagging' program seriously, I dread the daunting task of tagging my
existing photos!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

IrfanView Thumbnails- PaintShop Pro images? Terry Pinnell Digital Photography 6 05-16-2009 05:15 PM
Thumbnails or multiple pix in Thunderbird? Cheechat Firefox 1 05-02-2005 08:44 AM
Irfanview image size with thumbnails Marshall D Abrams Digital Photography 9 07-07-2004 11:50 PM
thumbnails wac Firefox 0 06-28-2004 04:12 PM
Let Irfanview Store Thumbnails on Disk Tom Digital Photography 3 04-03-2004 11:13 PM

Advertisments