Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > IrfanView Thumbnails - multiple selection?

IrfanView Thumbnails - multiple selection?

Terry Pinnell

I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.

Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

me@mine.net

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:15:12 +0000, in rec.photo.digital Terry Pinnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
>make a proper assessment.

So get the M$ TweakUI powertoy and change the size.

John Weston

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
> make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
> far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
> make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
> want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
> thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>
> Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
> current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

What works for me, when I want to view a thumbnail whilst others are
selected, is to continue holding down the the Ctrl key and double-left-
click the thumbnail to vie in a larger window. After viewing, close the
window using the (X) button and your original selection of thubnails is
still there. The one you have viewd is also selected, but a single click
will de-select it, if necessary. You shouldn't release the Ctrl key
during the whole procedure, or it will lose your selections.

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice

tony cooper

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:15:12 +0000, Terry Pinnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
>make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
>far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
>make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
>want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
>thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>
>Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
>current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

I'm doing a similar project and using the free FastStone image viewer.
FastStone allows me to view each image in the file at full screen in
sequence, and to hit the \ key when I view a "keeper". This tags the
image. I can then sort by tagged images only and copy those images
(in one action- click the first, hold the shift down, select all, and
click the copy button) into a different file folder that I've set up.
The tags can be removed by either hitting \ again, or by a drop-down
that removes all tags.

I can view in thumbnail size, and they are good-sized thumbnails, and
tag from this view. I prefer to use the full-screen mode.

The FastStone Image Viewer 3.6 is available for free download at
http://www.faststone.org/ It has many other uses, and is my primary
image viewer. I prefer it to IrfanView because I see the multiple
thumbnails in one screen.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

DavidM

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
> make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
> far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
> make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
> want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
> thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>
> Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
> current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

Others have mentioned a tagging feature in faststone. I've not used
that, but XnView does it as well. Just press Ctrl+T while on a file, or
click the little tag box in the corner of each thunbnail. Selections are
maintained while you do other things, and tagged files can then be
moved/copied/processed in batch etc.

I know how annoying it can be to carefully select images, then loose all
that work by a simple slip of the mouse or lapse in attention.

Like the other suggestions, XnView is free and very powerful, well worth
testing.

hth

DavidM

Marty

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
>make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
>far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
>make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
>want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
>thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>
>Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
>current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

You cannot interrupt the selection process, put it aside to view some
slide and then come back to selecting again.

IrfanVIew is expecting you to do something with the selcted items. If
you do not, then you have in effect abandoned the selection process
and you are back to square one.

How about selecting bigger Thumbnails so you don't have to go see the
original slide?

Marty

DavidM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> DavidM wrote:
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>> I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
>>> make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
>>> far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
>>> make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
>>> want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
>>> thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>>>
>>> Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
>>> current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

>> Others have mentioned a tagging feature in faststone. I've not used
>> that, but XnView does it as well. Just press Ctrl+T while on a file,
>> or click the little tag box in the corner of each thunbnail.
>> Selections are maintained while you do other things, and tagged files
>> can then be moved/copied/processed in batch etc.
>>
>> I know how annoying it can be to carefully select images, then loose
>> all that work by a simple slip of the mouse or lapse in attention.
>>
>> Like the other suggestions, XnView is free and very powerful, well
>> worth testing.
>>
>> hth
>>
>> DavidM

> It should be noted that it is possible to specify the size of the
> thumbnail images in Windows Explorer.

Also, you could use Filmstrip to view thumbnails and a large preview at
the same time. Ctrl-clicking thumbnails in Filmstrip loads their large
preview, then you can de-select any using a ctrl-click if it's not required.

Paul Furman

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
> make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
> far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
> make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
> want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
> thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>
> Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
> current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

Are you trying to create an Irfanview slide show that just lists the
file locations without copying? Holding down the control key you can
add, subtract & double click to preview. Or you can change the explorer
view to large thumbs in the slide show selection dialog box.

The way I use Irfanview for culling favorites is to set the move-to
folder under options > properties > file handling tab. You could also
use copy. Then just go through the set in full screen mode & tap F7 to
move files into a 'seconds' folder or F8 to copy into a folder. I almost
never use Irfanview's thumbnail view.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

John Weston

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sorry@No_Address.Com says...

> You cannot interrupt the selection process, put it aside to view some
> slide and then come back to selecting again.
>
> IrfanVIew is expecting you to do something with the selcted items. If
> you do not, then you have in effect abandoned the selection process
> and you are back to square one.
>
> How about selecting bigger Thumbnails so you don't have to go see the
> original slide?

Well, the method I suggested earlier works fine on my copy of Irfanview.
Don't release the Ctrl key when you double click a thumbnail to view it
at a larger resolution. On closing this and returning to the thumbnails
window you'll still have all your selections maintained.

- I've just rechecked this... The clue is to keep the Ctrl key pressed.

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice

Irwell

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:46:30 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
>> make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
>> far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
>> make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
>> want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
>> thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>>
>> Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
>> current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

> Are you trying to create an Irfanview slide show that just lists the
> file locations without copying? Holding down the control key you can
> add, subtract & double click to preview. Or you can change the explorer
> view to large thumbs in the slide show selection dialog box.
>
> The way I use Irfanview for culling favorites is to set the move-to
> folder under options > properties > file handling tab. You could also
> use copy. Then just go through the set in full screen mode & tap F7 to
> move files into a 'seconds' folder or F8 to copy into a folder. I almost
> never use Irfanview's thumbnail view.

That's the method I use as well, easy to do.

IrfanView Thumbnails- PaintShop Pro images? Terry Pinnell Digital Photography 6 05-16-2009 05:15 PM
Thumbnails or multiple pix in Thunderbird? Cheechat Firefox 1 05-02-2005 08:44 AM
Irfanview image size with thumbnails Marshall D Abrams Digital Photography 9 07-07-2004 11:50 PM
thumbnails wac Firefox 0 06-28-2004 04:12 PM
Let Irfanview Store Thumbnails on Disk Tom Digital Photography 3 04-03-2004 11:13 PM

Advertisments