Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Apple newsgroup

Apple newsgroup

ewastudent

thank you guys for your help, but is there an apple newsgroup, or mactintosh
that i can type in to my NNTP box e.g.(msnews.microsoft.com)? i am using
windows mail for this(vista basic)

Phillip Windell

"ewastudent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> thank you guys for your help, but is there an apple newsgroup, or
> mactintosh that i can type in to my NNTP box e.g.(msnews.microsoft.com)? i
> am using windows mail for this(vista basic)

msnews.microsoft.com is a News Server,...not a News Group

Microsoft's is only going to have Groups about MS Products.

You have to find a general public News Server. There are only two ways I
know of:

1. Use the one provided by your ISP (e.g. news.myISP.com). It used to be
that about all ISP had them,...but many have been dropping them because the
average "Joe Homeuser" after about 1995 , 1996, or so, doesn't use them and
wouldn't know what one was if they tripped over one.

2. Use a commercial one that you have to pay to subscribe to. These are
actually the same ones the ISP's use because the ISPs never really truely
had thier own news servers. They just subscribed to one of these with
special ISP accounts ($$$) and then either absorbed the cost or just
calculated them into the price of your Internet services. One of the
reasons some ISPs are charging customers cheaper prices to compete against
each other is by dropping things like news servers.

The one I have used at home in the past was Giganews (www.giganews.com). I
spent a lot of time comparing them and I thought these guys gave me the best
service for my money.

but there are others if you want to compare them:

www.supernews.com
www.NewsDemon.com
www.Easynews.com
www.ThunderNews.com