Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Images on SmugMug

Images on SmugMug

Ray Fischer

tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY
>
>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
>something nice, lie.

LOL! Excellent!

As for the photos: Not bad. I don't like the flash look all that
much, especially when you see the shadows from the flash and all of
the reflections. I like the one with the crystal knobs because with
the black background it looks like they're floating. #13 could be okay
but really wants to be sharper.

--
Ray Fischer

Ray Fischer

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
><(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
>>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY
>>
>>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
>>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
>>something nice, lie.

>For about the same price as SmugMug you could host your own website with
>theirthe Gallery2 package (and anything else you'd like to host) on GoDaddy

And spend a whole lot more time setting it up and maintaining it.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Jurgen

John Navas wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 12:55:09 +1000, Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> John Navas wrote:
>>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:41:15 -0500, tony cooper
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> That's the GoDaddy part.

>>> Not to worry -- GoDaddy has tools that make it dead easy to install, and
>>> Gallery2 is dead easy to configure.

>>> Typical ISP hosting lacks the tools on GoDaddy.

>>> OK.

>> There's a more eloquent solution at hand.
>>
>> $6 a month for a web site. and $10 for a domain name.
>>
>> JAlbum (it's free) and the "Skin" which has a shopping cart using either
>> Google checkout or Paypal. I've used it and it works a treat.

> What do you think makes that better than Gallery2 on GoDaddy?

The complication of Godaddy and the restricted features of 'Gallery' a
Godaddy installation has. I used Gallery for about 6 months and found it
to be overkill for low to moderate (1000 images or less) storage of and
display of photos. In all that time, I never got the "shopping cart" to
work either. It's a 3rd party thing you need on top of that supplied by
Menalto

Blinky the Shark

John McWilliams wrote:

> John Navas wrote:
>> On 12 Dec 2008 20:06:43 GMT, Allodoxaphobia <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>> You can always plug it into tinyurl.com. Once you have your tinyurl,
>>> it's good f o r e v e r -- how ever long _that_ is.

>> I prefer notlong.com, because it allows you to customize the link.

> There are also some of us who won't click a shortlink- or even a long one-
> if the poster's creds are unknown or in doubt. But the tinyURLs are more
> suspect than the ones that are apparent.

So let tiny drop a cookie on you that says you prefer to see a page that
shows what the long link is and asks you if you want to go there. Then no
more fears, warranted or unwarranted. See their page for instructions.

Also, for those who may not know it, if you include "preview" in a tiny
url you make, *any* user that clicks it will be shown that page that
tells you what the original link is and lets you decide if you want to go
there. Use this form: http://preview.tinyurl.[the rest of short link]

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

John McWilliams

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>
>> John Navas wrote:

>>> I prefer notlong.com, because it allows you to customize the link.

>> There are also some of us who won't click a shortlink- or even a long one-
>> if the poster's creds are unknown or in doubt. But the tinyURLs are more
>> suspect than the ones that are apparent.

> So let tiny drop a cookie on you that says you prefer to see a page that
> shows what the long link is and asks you if you want to go there. Then no
> more fears, warranted or unwarranted. See their page for instructions.
>
> Also, for those who may not know it, if you include "preview" in a tiny
> url you make, *any* user that clicks it will be shown that page that
> tells you what the original link is and lets you decide if you want to go
> there. Use this form: http://preview.tinyurl.[the rest of short link]

Don't see how any of this helps if you don't care to view a pile of dog
****, thumb size or other... Thanks to "Rita", now "Larry Thong", I don'
play dat.

--
john mcwilliams

Ray Fischer

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 13 Dec 2008 07:14:59 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in
><494360f3$0$2725$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>For about the same price as SmugMug you could host your own website with
>>>theirthe Gallery2 package (and anything else you'd like to host) on GoDaddy

>>And spend a whole lot more time setting it up and maintaining it.

>Gallery2 setup took me no more than a couple of hours,

Who cares how long it took _you_? It's still a lot more work.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Blinky the Shark

John McWilliams wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> John McWilliams wrote:

>>> There are also some of us who won't click a shortlink- or even a long
>>> one- if the poster's creds are unknown or in doubt. But the tinyURLs
>>> are more suspect than the ones that are apparent.

>> So let tiny drop a cookie on you that says you prefer to see a page that
>> shows what the long link is and asks you if you want to go there. Then
>> no more fears, warranted or unwarranted. See their page for
>> instructions.
>>
>> Also, for those who may not know it, if you include "preview" in a tiny
>> url you make, *any* user that clicks it will be shown that page that
>> tells you what the original link is and lets you decide if you want to
>> go there. Use this form: http://preview.tinyurl.[the rest of short
>> link]

> Don't see how any of this helps if you don't care to view a pile of dog
> ****, thumb size or other... Thanks to "Rita", now "Larry Thong", I don'
> play dat.

Well, then think a little. If you can see the original link, you might
glean enough information to make a better call than if you don't know it.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Ray Fischer

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 14 Dec 2008 00:59:28 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in
><49445a70$0$2744$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Gallery2 setup took me no more than a couple of hours,

>>Who cares how long it took _you_? It's still a lot more work.

>It's not a lot more work.

Yes, it is. Smugmug? Upload the file. About 20 seconds of work for
me as opposed to "a couple of hours" for you.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Jurgen

Ray Fischer wrote:
> John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 14 Dec 2008 00:59:28 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in
>> <49445a70$0$2744$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>> Who cares how long it took _you_? It's still a lot more work.

>> It's not a lot more work.

> Yes, it is. Smugmug? Upload the file. About 20 seconds of work for
> me as opposed to "a couple of hours" for you.

Smug mug has many benefits that a self hosted Gallery2 installation
doesn't have. The most notable I find is how the 3rd party free add-on
to windows explorer lets you locate a file on your hard drive and upload
just that as if it were being moved or copied to different folder or do
it with the whole folder full of images for that matter.

You can also use Photoshop Lightroom or Adobe bridge to copy files to
smug mug. I know you can get a bastardised FTP application running under
Java for Gallery uploads but it doesn't quite work as smoothly.

I still believe using JAlbum and Foto Player skin is the answer for
selling your photos. I've been using it for nearly a year. I can simply
password protect the directory the images are in or provide public access.

A list of sizes and prices drop down for buyers and because it is not a
php creation, the index page is easy to place keywords and phrases in,
not just the header so Google can rank the gallery higher in it listings.

If I had to choose between self hosting and the subsequent web site I'd
end up creating for it and Smug mug, I'd go for Smug mug every time.
What I wouldn't do is use Smug mug to sell my photos!

John McWilliams

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> So let tiny drop a cookie on you that says you prefer to see a page that
>>> shows what the long link is and asks you if you want to go there. Then
>>> no more fears, warranted or unwarranted. See their page for
>>> instructions.
>>>
>>> Also, for those who may not know it, if you include "preview" in a tiny
>>> url you make, *any* user that clicks it will be shown that page that
>>> tells you what the original link is and lets you decide if you want to
>>> go there. Use this form: http://preview.tinyurl.[the rest of short
>>> link]

>> Don't see how any of this helps if you don't care to view a pile of dog
>> ****, thumb size or other... Thanks to "Rita", now "Larry Thong", I don'
>> play dat.

> Well, then think a little. If you can see the original link, you might
> glean enough information to make a better call than if you don't know it.

Not if it's a link to a flikr or smugmug etc. gallery; that doesn't tell
me anything. I thought someone had said some of these give a thumbnail
of the image before taking you to the actual site when, if and as you
click on the URL of same.

It's no biggie anyway; you either trust certain people or you don't.

--
john mcwilliams