Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Problems switching from XP32 to XP64?

Re: Problems switching from XP32 to XP64?

John John (MVP)

(Crossposted to 64-bit newsgroup, where the 64-bit experts will be
better able to answer your questions).

There is no upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, it will have to be a clean
install.

John

Vic Baron wrote:

> Running Xp x32 SP3 and thinking of switching to 64 bit version. Are
> there any things that I should watch out for that could cause trouble?
>
> Can I do an inplace upgrade or is a format/install/reinstallapplications
> in order?
>
> Currently running Q9650 CPU Corsair DDR3 2x2G ram GTX 280 Video card on
> a Rampage Extreme X48 mobo using a Brother HL2020 printer.
>
> Any hardware issues with that list?
>
> I am aware of the benefits of the 64 bit systems just curious about
> potential problems.
>
> Thanx

Carlos

Hi,
No upgrade is possible, only way is a fresh install.
But befor doing that, you really want to do your homework first!
1.- Identify all the hardware inside your PC.
2.- Get the latest XP x64 drivers for that hardware.
3.- Identify all the software you intend to use.
4.- Check the software manufacturer's page and verify its compatibility in
64-bit environments. Generally speaking, all 32-bit programs will work in a
64-bit OS unless...
a- they have a 16-bit installer
b- they need a 32-bit driver

Carlos