Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 12.4T CLI backward compatibility

12.4T CLI backward compatibility

[FX] Tarandeep singh

In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
from 12.3
And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
backward compatible with 12.4 T ?

Any help willl be appreciated

Thrill5

Only in very limited instances are commands deprecated in IOS. More than
likely the features included in the feature-set you are using has changed.
IOS version are broken down into the basic features, and then features are
added until you have a version that has every feature (usually called
advanced enterprise). As features become more popular, they are included in
the more basic feature-sets, and as they become less popular they move up
toward enterprise. With 12.4,

Cisco has tool on CCO that can help you determine which feature set you need
for the version of IOS you want to run.

"[FX] Tarandeep singh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
> from 12.3
> And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
> Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
> backward compatible with 12.4 T ?
>
> Any help willl be appreciated

bod43

On 12 Dec, 02:03, "Thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Only in very limited instances are commands deprecated in IOS. *More than
> likely the features included in the feature-set you are using has changed..
> IOS version are broken down into the basic features, and then features are
> added until you have a version that has every feature (usually called
> advanced enterprise). *As features become more popular, they are included in
> the more basic feature-sets, and as they become less popular they move up
> toward enterprise. *With 12.4,
>
> Cisco has tool on CCO that can help you determine which feature set you need
> for the version of IOS you want to run.
>
> "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
> > from 12.3
> > And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
> > Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
> > backward compatible with 12.4 T ?

> > Any help willl be appreciated- Hide quoted text -

As Thrill5 states, it is very very very extremely unusual
to find any compatibility issues with an IOS upgrade.
I have in more than 10 years never found such a case
in practise. I have found that the config has been
changed automatically - such as SSID in the recent
router IOS not within the "interface" config but is in the
global config.

Not upgrading to the correct feature set does seem the most likely
cause.

One other thing is that the "T" train is used to publish additional
features at the earliest opportunity and you should aviod it if at
all possible for productiom since it is more likely to contain bugs.

Stick to the base 12.4 if you don't need the "T" features.

www.cisco.co/go/fn is the official Feature Navigator.

If you still have trouble post the failed config elements
and the full IOS versions and feature sets.
e.g.
sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version
12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
<...snipped...>
System image file is "flash:c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin"

Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto

"bod43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On 12 Dec, 02:03, "Thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As Thrill5 states, it is very very very extremely unusual
>to find any compatibility issues with an IOS upgrade.
>I have in more than 10 years never found such a case
>in practise. I have found that the config has been
>changed automatically - such as SSID in the recent
>router IOS not within the "interface" config but is in the
>global config.

I had isssues with IP SLA feature. Cisco has changed the syntax of ip sla
feature commands in one of the 12.4T versions - I don't remember which
one. After upgrade my IP SLA has gone I don't understand why they
changing syntax or why in the case of syntax change there is sometimes no
backward compatibility.

[FX] Tarandeep singh

On Dec 11, 5:58*pm, "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
> from 12.3
> And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
> Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
> backward compatible with 12.4 T ?
>
> Any help willl be appreciated

My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
fixed NAT but what about other changes.

[FX] Tarandeep singh

<(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr> wrote:
> "bod43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 12 Dec, 02:03, "Thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >As Thrill5 states, it is very very very extremely unusual
> >to find any compatibility issues with an IOS upgrade.
> >I have in more than 10 years never found such a case
> >in practise. I have found that the config has been
> >changed automatically - such as SSID in the recent
> >router IOS not within the "interface" config but is in the
> >global config.

> I had isssues with IP SLA feature. Cisco has changed the syntax of ip sla
> feature commands *in one of the 12.4T versions *- I don't remember which
> one. After upgrade my IP SLA has gone I don't understand why they
> changing syntax or why in the case of syntax change there is sometimes no
> backward compatibility.

My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
fixed NAT but what about other changes.

Regards,
http://www.Taranfx.com

Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto

"[FX] Tarandeep singh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
>classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
>fixed NAT but what about other changes.

before upgrade it is advisable to check official cisco release notes about
new release. In release notes they should say something about
incompatibilities with previous versions.

fugettaboutit

There are many, many bugs centered around IOS, especially the "T" train.
In particular, multicast, packet re-marking, QoS, voice gateway/DSP, and
compression (RTP and TCP header) functions. Overall, the "T" train seems
to have the most hardware compatibility issues and software bugs. I run
a medium converged enterprise network, including thousands of VoIP
endpoints, multicast, and video. I avoid the "T" train like the plague
and have experienced decent success with the regular 12.4 train,
Advanced IP Services. In terms of IOS, in general, I can't say that I've
seen a ton of CLI command/syntax changes, but bugs - oh yeah. Can't
begin to tell you how many upgrades I've had to roll back because a WAN
aggregation router, edge router, or voice gateway rolled over and
reloaded for no apparent reason. Even had a 7200 VXR with MIX ports (T1
PRI) reload when enabling an ISDN Q.931 debug. That wasn't cool. Most of
the bugs have been related to converged network functions (especially
voice/QoS), and in my network, that's been a killer. Then, there are the
bugs for functions that have been around forever (Multicast? TCP header
compression? Seriously!).

You just never know what you'll find, especially with the "T" train.
Unless you absolutely require the extra functionality support of "T",
you'd be better off with mainline 12.4. If so, just be forewarned. Of
course, YMMV.

[FX] Tarandeep singh wrote:
> On Dec 11, 5:58 pm, "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
>> from 12.3
>> And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
>> Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
>> backward compatible with 12.4 T ?
>>
>> Any help willl be appreciated

> My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
> classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
> fixed NAT but what about other changes.

Stephen

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:08:31 -0800 (PST), "[FX] Tarandeep singh"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Dec 11, 5:58*pm, "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
>> from 12.3
>> And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
>> Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
>> backward compatible with 12.4 T ?
>>
>> Any help willl be appreciated

>My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
>classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
>fixed NAT but what about other changes.

maybe if you explained which features do not work, and what symptoms
you see, someone could help you.

given that QoS covers 100s of features on dozens of platform your
"clarification" needs a bit more detail.
--
Regards