Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Good time to capture a large image of the moon

Good time to capture a large image of the moon

mianileng

Paul Furman wrote:
> Burt Campner wrote:
>>
>> Keep in mind too that when the moon is near the horizon you'll
>> be
>> about 3,958 miles (6,370 km) further from the moon than when
>> it is
>> overhead. Overhead won't provide for as interesting a photo as
>> when
>> it's near the horizon, but if you're going for the largest
>> number of
>> pixels illuminated by the moon then it'll help a bit.

> Yeah I thought of that but it's more interesting near the
> horizon, and
> it'll be nearer for that position so most dramatic then,
> presumably.
> Also looks like we're in for cloudy weather though.

Same here.

"mianileng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ghouvo$u1g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Someone asked not long ago about the best time for capturing the largest
> possible image of the moon. For a given camera, lens and location, the
> coming full moon on Dec 12 is a good time. This is a time when the moon is
> not only at perigee, but also close to the nearest it ever gets to the
> earth in recent times. The exact times of perigee and full moon differ by
> only 5 hours - full moon at 4:39 pm and perigee at 9:38 pm, both UT.
> Source:
> http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/pacalc.html
>
> According to this online calculator, the moon will be at less than 357000
> km at the coming perigee, compared to more than 370000 km at some perigees
> and more than 400000 km at apogee.
>
> Full moon may not be the best time for capturing an interesting shot of
> the moon, but for those who want to get the moon to cover the largest
> number of pixels, a coincidence of peak perigee and full moon is the ideal
> time.

Would have been great here if the rain hadn't been around. We've had an
inch of rain so far today in Sydney.

M-M

In article <nIh0l.6649$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Keep in mind too that when the moon is near the horizon you'll be about
> > 3,958
> > miles (6,370 km) further from the moon than when it is overhead. Overhead
> > won't
> > provide for as interesting a photo as when it's near the horizon, but if
> > you're
> > going for the largest number of pixels illuminated by the moon then it'll
> > help a
> > bit.

> Yeah I thought of that but it's more interesting near the horizon, and
> it'll be nearer for that position so most dramatic then, presumably.
> Also looks like we're in for cloudy weather though.

I really don't think anyone will be able to tell a difference, even in a
photograph. It's like shooting something 24 feet away then taking one
step forward and shooting again.

Maybe if the clouds break, I'll get a photo and then compare it to one
taken at a different date. I'll use the same lens and we can compare
side-by-side.

Even if the sky is cloudy, the moon will be out all night so if it peeks
through even for a moment, a photo is possible.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com/moon.tn.html <--lots of moon photos

mianileng

M-M wrote:
> In article <nIh0l.6649$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> I really don't think anyone will be able to tell a difference,
> even
> in a photograph. It's like shooting something 24 feet away then
> taking one step forward and shooting again.
>
> Maybe if the clouds break, I'll get a photo and then compare it
> to one
> taken at a different date. I'll use the same lens and we can
> compare
> side-by-side.
>
> Even if the sky is cloudy, the moon will be out all night so if
> it
> peeks through even for a moment, a photo is possible.

Here's a composite of a shot I took tonight (full at perigee) and
another shot on the 19th of last May (approx. full at apogee).
Both shots were taken with the same camera at the same focal
length - 8 MP, 420mm equiv.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gee_apogee.jpg

You can judge the difference in apparent sizes yourself.
Unfortunately, both shots were taken through heavy haze and the
images are not as sharp as they could be.

(My broadband is down again and I uploaded the image with
dial-up. After having used broadband for almost a year now, times
like this are a real pain).

M-M

In article <ghujl2$9lh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"mianileng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Here's a composite of a shot I took tonight (full at perigee) and
> another shot on the 19th of last May (approx. full at apogee).
> Both shots were taken with the same camera at the same focal
> length - 8 MP, 420mm equiv.
> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gee_apogee.jpg

And neither are cropped? If these are the relative full-frame sizes, the
difference is quite remarkable.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

mianileng

M-M wrote:
> In article <ghujl2$9lh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "mianileng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Here's a composite of a shot I took tonight (full at perigee)
>> and
>> another shot on the 19th of last May (approx. full at apogee).
>> Both shots were taken with the same camera at the same focal
>> length - 8 MP, 420mm equiv.
>> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gee_apogee.jpg

> And neither are cropped? If these are the relative full-frame
> sizes,
> the difference is quite remarkable.

By uncropped I assune you mean unresized. Yes, both images are
unresized 100% crops, pasted together for convenience. The
difference is more than most people expect without doing some
arithmetic. The variation in size is what makes it possible to
have total and annular solar eclipses.

Chris Malcolm

JC Dill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
>> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>> drugs began to take hold. I remember "mianileng"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like:
>>
>>> Full moon may not be the best time for capturing an interesting
>>> shot of the moon, but for those who want to get the moon to cover
>>> the largest number of pixels, a coincidence of peak perigee and
>>> full moon is the ideal time.

>> On an APS-C sensor, a frame-filling moon for me is with an old Novoflex
>> 600mm f:8 and 2x telecon. Full moon brightness makes focusing no
>> problem, even at f:16, but it moves quicker than you think when it's
>> filling the frame.

> The moon moves approximately 1 diameter in 2 minutes. At moonrise as
> the moon peaks over the horizon, it will be fully visible in ~2 minutes.
> At moonset, from the time the moon touches the horizon until it
> disappears will also take ~2 minutes. (The same is true of the sun,
> sunrise, sunset.)

> So if you have the moon more-or-less "filling the frame" it will move
> entirely out of the frame in about 2 minutes! If you move the camera
> ahead of the moon's path so that the moon is only 1/2 visible in the
> frame, it will come fully into view in about 1 minute.

So if you have rock steady tripod and a lens that will give 2000
pixels across the diameter of the moon it will take about 1/15th sec
to move one pixel (if I've got the arithmetic right .

--
Chris Malcolm

Paul Furman

mianileng wrote:
> M-M wrote:
>> In article <nIh0l.6649$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> I really don't think anyone will be able to tell a difference,
>> even
>> in a photograph. It's like shooting something 24 feet away then
>> taking one step forward and shooting again.
>>
>> Maybe if the clouds break, I'll get a photo and then compare it
>> to one
>> taken at a different date. I'll use the same lens and we can
>> compare
>> side-by-side.
>>
>> Even if the sky is cloudy, the moon will be out all night so if
>> it
>> peeks through even for a moment, a photo is possible.

> Here's a composite of a shot I took tonight (full at perigee) and
> another shot on the 19th of last May (approx. full at apogee).
> Both shots were taken with the same camera at the same focal
> length - 8 MP, 420mm equiv.
> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gee_apogee.jpg
>
> You can judge the difference in apparent sizes yourself.
> Unfortunately, both shots were taken through heavy haze and the
> images are not as sharp as they could be.

Wow, big difference.
There is a break in the clouds with a storm moving in, see if I get a
chance. I didn't manage any horizon shots.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

M-M

In article <hTG0l.9495$(E-Mail Removed)>,

I got a break in the clouds and made a comparison. One @ 247,797 miles
from 5/31/07 and the other from last night @ 221,590 miles:

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/moondist.jpg

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Paul Furman

Here's a nice diagram from someone on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arthurseabra/3105282438/

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net