Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: slow slow slow!

Re: slow slow slow!

Expert lino fitter

eugene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Can anybody help. Lately my PC has slowed sown something awful.
>>> It's a Dell Vostro 200 using Vista and just over a year old. The
>>> biggest nuisance is when I load photos into PS. In my previous
>>> system, I could drag 400 images from a folder and they would open
>>> in a couple of minutes. Now it takes forever. Manipulating images
>>> is driving me nuts! I edited 60 photos on Sunday past and a job
>>> that would have once taken 15-20 minutes took me two hours! I have
>>> been told that Vista is diabolical and that I should get XP
>>> installed on this PC. A bit of advice was to increase my RAM as it
>>> was only 1gb and I have done that today so there's now 3gb in it
>>> but it doesn't seem to have helped. I constantly get "program not
>>> responding" messages when I open my mail or other programs although
>>> they do eventually open. I have also defragged the PC and removed a
>>> lot of image folders so I was hoping I would be flying today but
>>> for the past 10 mins PS displays "not responding" as photos are
>>> being loaded. Basically, I mostly use my PC for photo imagery but
>>> this is ridiculous. I was going to buy a new PC last week but I
>>> wasn't allowed as this one is relatively new. Any suggestions
>>> anybody.....................please?

>> It sounds like you've already covered off the obvious, i.e. more RAM
>> and a defrag of your disk.
>>
>> Other suggestions:
>>
>> 1. Do a disk check.
>>
>> 2. Any errors reported in the event log - in particular the Windows
>> System log. (There may be some errors, use your discretion as to
>> whether they might be relevant.)
>>
>> 3. Fire up task manager, click "Show processes from all users" and
>> see if there is anything else running which is taking significant
>> cpu time. I suspect there won't be anything significant, but its a
>> logical thing to check before point 4:
>>
>> 4. From task manager, on the performance tab click "Resource
>> Monitor...", when Resource Monitor opens click on Disk and it will
>> show which processes are writing to the disk. Since disk intensive
>> operations tend to slow everything else down, see what is
>> reading/writing to the disk whilst you are doing your image
>> manipulation stuff. 5. Download and run spybot, incase you've picked up
>> something nasty.
>>
>> 6. Download and run ccleaner, and let it clear your temporary files
>> and registry.
>>
>> 7. Do you have a good graphics card?
>>
>> 8. Open up "System Properties", and on the "Advanced" tab under
>> Performance click Settings..., and then "Adjust for best
>> performance". (Although to be honest I don't know how much of a
>> difference that might make.)
>>
>> That's about all I can think of for now.
>>
>> Personally now that I'm used to Vista I wouldn't want to go back to
>> XP, but I know many who don't share my opinion.
>> --
>> Brian Cryer
>> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

> Thanks for all of that Brian. Someone should give yer other man

LOL

Great, blame others for your ****wittery... remember eugreene, you're the
muppet that's got to go through all that **** checking this, checking that
for hours on end, and when you're finished it's likely you'll be back
whimpering for more ****ed up help.

You cited your machine to be a year old - XP can barely breath past six
months of incessant updates. I'll be a penny to a pinch of **** you haven't
done anything with XP since you first bought your 'puter' have you?

Back up your ****, format and reinstall, you twit.

Lino, it's the only thing I know other than being an expert.

Expert lino fitter

WeReo_ScoTTy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Rough, but maybe gets the job done under the gun.

Cross-hairs and a target would be a more than satisfactory alternative
option.

Jm

"Expert lino fitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gholr6$3u0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> You cited your machine to be a year old - XP can barely breath past six
> months of incessant updates.

Just because YOU don't know how to maintain an XP box doesn't mean OTHER
people can't.

> I'll be a penny to a pinch of **** you haven't done anything with XP since
> you first bought your 'puter' have you?

Of course he hasn't done anything with XP since he bought his machine you
****wad ... he clearly states in the OP that his machine is running VISTA!

> Back up your ****, format and reinstall, you twit.
>
> Lino, it's the only thing I know other than being an expert.

Jm

Jm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ghp2le$427$(E-Mail Removed):

> ""EXPERT" *LINO* "FITTER"" *<(E-Mail Removed)>*
> "WROTE" *IN* "MESSAGE" *NEWS:GHOLR6$3U0$1@NEWSMOTZARELLAORG*.

> "JUST" *BECAUSE* "YOU" *DON'T* "KNOW" *HOW* "TO" *MAINTAIN* "AN" *XP*
> "BOX" *DOESN'T* "MEAN" *OTHER* "PEOPLE" *CAN'T*.

> "OF" *COURSE* "HE" *HASN'T* "DONE" *ANYTHING* "WITH" *XP* "SINCE" *HE*
> "BOUGHT" *HIS* "MACHINE" *YOU* "****WAD" **. "HE" *CLEARLY* "STATES"
> *IN* "THE" *OP* "THAT" *HIS* "MACHINE" *IS* "RUNNING" *VISTA*!

Jm

Jm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ghp2le$427$(E-Mail Removed):

> Me and my gay boyfwiend had sex th-th-the oth-th-thew night and
> aftewwawds he bwed and was wewy sowe, wast night he fewt bettew so had
> sex again, we didn't weawise untiw aftew , th-th-that he had bwed
> duwing, he says it isn't sowe, what do you htink is wowng, and do you
> th-th-think a westing it a bit wiww heaw it, ow is it someth-th-thing
> th-th-that wiww need t-t-t-to bowught t-t-t-to th-th-the attention of
> a doctow?

Expert lino fitter