Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem: Local Area Connection

Problem: Local Area Connection

hsyq8xg@gmail.com

My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
cable.

Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
"yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
and so on, and so on ...

When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
icon, a new "window" appears.

When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:

Connection status

Address Type: Invalid IP Address
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway

Details

Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
DNS Server:
WINS Server:

Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
0.0.0.0

What has happened?

How to remedy this problem?

Please help !!

Thank you all !!

Desk Rabbit

> My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
> connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
> connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
> cable.
>
> Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
> Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
> "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
> and so on, and so on ...
>
> When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
> icon, a new "window" appears.
>
> When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
>
> Connection status
>
> Address Type: Invalid IP Address
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway
>
> Details
>
> Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway:
> DNS Server:
> WINS Server:
>

> Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
> pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
> 0.0.0.0
>
> What has happened?

Your Internet connection has broken

> How to remedy this problem?

Call your ISP support line

Juan Kerr

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
> connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
> connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
> cable.
>
> Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
> Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
> "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
> and so on, and so on ...
>
> When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
> icon, a new "window" appears.
>
> When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
>
> Connection status
>
> Address Type: Invalid IP Address
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway
>
> Details
>
> Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway:
> DNS Server:
> WINS Server:
>

> Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
> pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
> 0.0.0.0
>
> What has happened?
>
> How to remedy this problem?
>
> Please help !!
>
> Thank you all !!

This error message normally means that you did not receive an IP Address
from your
DHCP server after establishing a wireless connection. This is usually
caused by a communication failure between the wireless card and the access
point. Often that means the security settings do not match between the
client and the access point.

Did you recently change any element of your network? Did you load a new
driver or firmware? Perhaps installed a new wireless card? Maybe you
changed the security settings on your wireless access point?
Are you sure your ISP server is working correctly?

Jonathan Boyko

I've seen it w/ many modems. Many ADSL modems don't have DHCP feature or
have it disabled. When you connect a network cable to your modem and the
computer, your PC will ask the modem for an internal IP address. As the
modem doesn't have the DHCP feature, your PC won't get an IP and will keep
looking until a timeout.

As far as I go, it shouldn't really concern you.

--

- - - - - - - - - -
Jonathan M. Boyko

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
> connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
> connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
> cable.
>
> Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
> Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
> "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
> and so on, and so on ...
>
> When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
> icon, a new "window" appears.
>
> When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
>
> Connection status
>
> Address Type: Invalid IP Address
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway
>
> Details
>
> Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway:
> DNS Server:
> WINS Server:
>

> Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
> pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
> 0.0.0.0
>
> What has happened?
>
> How to remedy this problem?
>
> Please help !!
>
> Thank you all !!

Juan Kerr

"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ghoe5v$gcl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Juan Kerr wrote:
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
>>> connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
>>> connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
>>> cable.
>>>
>>> Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
>>> Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
>>> "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
>>> and so on, and so on ...
>>>
>>> When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
>>> icon, a new "window" appears.
>>>
>>> When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
>>>
>>> Connection status
>>>
>>> Address Type: Invalid IP Address
>>> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
>>> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
>>> Default Gateway
>>>
>>> Details
>>>
>>> Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
>>> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
>>> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
>>> Default Gateway:
>>> DNS Server:
>>> WINS Server:
>>>

>>> Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
>>> pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
>>> 0.0.0.0
>>>
>>> What has happened?
>>>
>>> How to remedy this problem?
>>>
>>> Please help !!
>>>
>>> Thank you all !!

>> This error message normally means that you did not receive an IP Address
>> from your
>> DHCP server after establishing a wireless connection. This is usually
>> caused by a communication failure between the wireless card and the
>> access
>> point. Often that means the security settings do not match between the
>> client and the access point.

> Where does the OP say that he has a wireless access point?
> He mentions an ADSL modem and an RJ45 network cable connecting it to his
> computer and a Local Area Connection icon.
>
> You might as well tell him to check the rubber feet on the bottom of his
> PC case!

My bad.

/must learn to read

netjerykhet

Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Juan Kerr wrote:
>> This error message normally means that you did not receive an IP
>> Address from your
>> DHCP server after establishing a wireless connection. This is usually
>> caused by a communication failure between the wireless card and the
>> access point. Often that means the security settings do not match
>> between the client and the access point.

> Where does the OP say that he has a wireless access point?
> He mentions an ADSL modem and an RJ45 network cable connecting it to
> his computer and a Local Area Connection icon.

He doesn't.

> You might as well tell him to check the /rubber/ /feet/ on the bottom of
> his PC case!

He didn't think of that, but then I nicked them ages ago.

pg

On Dec 10, 1:59*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
> connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
> connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
> cable.
>
> Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
> Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
> "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
> and so on, and so on ...
>
> When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
> icon, a new "window" appears.
>
> When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
>
> Connection status
>
> Address Type: * * * * * Invalid IP Address
> IP Address: * * * * * * * * * * 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask: * * * * * *0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway
>
> Details
>
> Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway:
> DNS Server:
> WINS Server:
>
> Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
> pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
> 0.0.0.0
>
> What has happened?
>
> How to remedy this problem?
>
> Please help !!
>
> Thank you all !!

Your DHCP service is off.

Do the following:

Verify That the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Client
Service Is Started
Verify that the DHCP Client service is started. To do so, follow these
steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, click Manage, expand Services and
Applications under Computer Management, and then click Services.
2. Verify that the DHCP Client service is running.
3. If the service is stopped, right-click DHCP Client, and then click
Start.

Note If the service does not start, a dependency group or service may
also be stopped.

Or, you can do it the registry way

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\D HCP
3. In the right pane, double click DependOnService, and then make sure
that the Data Value value is Tcpip Afd NetBT.
4. Restart your computer, and then verify that the DHCP service is
started as described in Method 3.

lindis

I would suggest that you connect the modem directly to your PC using the USB
port on the modem. Do not use the RJ45.
Your turn.

"Jonathan Boyko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen it w/ many modems. Many ADSL modems don't have DHCP feature or
> have it disabled. When you connect a network cable to your modem and the
> computer, your PC will ask the modem for an internal IP address. As the
> modem doesn't have the DHCP feature, your PC won't get an IP and will keep
> looking until a timeout.
>
> As far as I go, it shouldn't really concern you.
>
> --
>
> - - - - - - - - - -
> Jonathan M. Boyko
> "Aba Computer Systems LTD."
>
> "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
> -Edmund Burke
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
>> connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
>> connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
>> cable.
>>
>> Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
>> Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
>> "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
>> and so on, and so on ...
>>
>> When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
>> icon, a new "window" appears.
>>
>> When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
>>
>> Connection status
>>
>> Address Type: Invalid IP Address
>> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
>> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
>> Default Gateway
>>
>> Details
>>
>> Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
>> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
>> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
>> Default Gateway:
>> DNS Server:
>> WINS Server:
>>

>> Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
>> pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
>> 0.0.0.0
>>
>> What has happened?
>>
>> How to remedy this problem?
>>
>> Please help !!
>>
>> Thank you all !!

Jonathan Boyko

If he connects the modem through USB it would require him to install drivers
as well, which is quite useless. Overall, he doesn't have a problem, he just
doesn't understand why his PC can't get an IP, and that's caused by lack of
DHCP. Overall, it's best to use the regular network connection, as it is the
most stable one.

--

- - - - - - - - - -
Jonathan M. Boyko
"Aba Computer Systems LTD."

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"lindis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ghodlq$q88$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would suggest that you connect the modem directly to your PC using the
>USB port on the modem. Do not use the RJ45.
> Your turn.
>
> "Jonathan Boyko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've seen it w/ many modems. Many ADSL modems don't have DHCP feature or
>> have it disabled. When you connect a network cable to your modem and the
>> computer, your PC will ask the modem for an internal IP address. As the
>> modem doesn't have the DHCP feature, your PC won't get an IP and will
>> keep looking until a timeout.
>>
>> As far as I go, it shouldn't really concern you.
>>
>> --
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - -
>> Jonathan M. Boyko
>> "Aba Computer Systems LTD."
>>
>> "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do
>> nothing."
>> -Edmund Burke
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
>>> connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
>>> connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
>>> cable.
>>>
>>> Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
>>> Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
>>> "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
>>> and so on, and so on ...
>>>
>>> When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
>>> icon, a new "window" appears.
>>>
>>> When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
>>>
>>> Connection status
>>>
>>> Address Type: Invalid IP Address
>>> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
>>> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
>>> Default Gateway
>>>
>>> Details
>>>
>>> Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
>>> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
>>> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
>>> Default Gateway:
>>> DNS Server:
>>> WINS Server:
>>>

>>> Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
>>> pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
>>> 0.0.0.0
>>>
>>> What has happened?
>>>
>>> How to remedy this problem?
>>>
>>> Please help !!
>>>
>>> Thank you all !!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Most of the DSL ISPs give these days a free Modem/Router.
They use to give Modem only, they switched to Modem/Router because it worth
their while to give you a device that cost them few $$ more rather than
dealing with troubles and support call that are caused by a computer sitting
directly on a DSL Modem.
Get yourself a Router. Your authentication would be in the Router and you
would have a stable secure DSL.
http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)