Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Horrors spawned by P&S marketing

Re: Horrors spawned by P&S marketing

SMS

RichA wrote:
> Two of them. The worst. Digital zooming, a scam and a joke and
> auto-jacking up of ISO as a kind of "image stabilization" method. Both
> could only have come from the mind of a mad marketer and NOT a camera user.
> Close second? Telephoto attachments with 1000 threads per inch for you to
> screw on the end of your lens!!! Forget shutter lag, by the time you got
> that thing on, the bird you were trying to shoot would have raised a brood
> of young!

There are more horrors as well.

The mindless increase in resolution, resulting in smaller and smaller
pixels, which in turn results in more noise, and poorer low light
performance.

The increase in LCD sizes to the point where they become an excuse to
remove the costly optical viewfinder (a handful still have this).

The loss of the 28mm wide angle on most zoom lenses (a handful still
have this).

The loss of the articulating LCD or articulating lens/body (a very very
few models still have this).

It reminds me of the quote that used to be on Rivendell Bicycle's Web Site:

"If you find something you really, really like, buy a lifetime supply;
because it'll either be changed for the worse or go out of production."

David J Taylor

SMS wrote:
[]
> The loss of the 28mm wide angle on most zoom lenses (a handful still
> have this).
>
> The loss of the articulating LCD or articulating lens/body (a very
> very few models still have this).

[]

I thought that there were more wide-angle models today than previously -
that's my impression.

Pity about the swivel LCD - starting to see it DSLRs now....

David

ASAAR

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 06:55:28 -0800, the SMS troll wrote:

> There are more horrors as well.
>
> The mindless increase in resolution, resulting in smaller and smaller
> pixels, which in turn results in more noise, and poorer low light
> performance.

Despite increases in resolution most of today's P&S cameras do as
well in low light as the older models. Many do better. As usual
your hyperbolic statements aren't borne out in the real world. If
the new cameras were as horrific as you suggest, most of the new
cameras would either be swiftly returned, or never would have been
purchased as word quickly got around about how much better the
pictures were from the old Powershot S10's, Mavicas, etc. were.

SMS

David J Taylor wrote:
> SMS wrote:
> []
>> The loss of the 28mm wide angle on most zoom lenses (a handful still
>> have this).
>>
>> The loss of the articulating LCD or articulating lens/body (a very
>> very few models still have this).

> []
>
> I thought that there were more wide-angle models today than previously -
> that's my impression.

I was referring to the smaller cameras, not the ZLRs. For ultra-compact
cameras, if you look for ones with optical viewfinders and wide-angle
lenses, you're down to one, the Sony DSC-W170. For compact cameras, you
have the Canon G10 and the Nikon Coolpix P6000. For ZLRs there are a
bunch. If you drop the optical viewfinder there are a few more.

> Pity about the swivel LCD - starting to see it DSLRs now....

It was an amazingly useful feature. The Canon SX10 IS still has it. It
sucks that Canon removed it from the G series.

Dave Cohen

SMS wrote:
> RichA wrote:
>> Two of them. The worst. Digital zooming, a scam and a joke and
>> auto-jacking up of ISO as a kind of "image stabilization" method.
>> Both could only have come from the mind of a mad marketer and NOT a
>> camera user.
>> Close second? Telephoto attachments with 1000 threads per inch for
>> you to screw on the end of your lens!!! Forget shutter lag, by the
>> time you got that thing on, the bird you were trying to shoot would
>> have raised a brood of young!

> There are more horrors as well.
>
> The mindless increase in resolution, resulting in smaller and smaller
> pixels, which in turn results in more noise, and poorer low light
> performance.
>
> The increase in LCD sizes to the point where they become an excuse to
> remove the costly optical viewfinder (a handful still have this).
>
> The loss of the 28mm wide angle on most zoom lenses (a handful still
> have this).
>
> The loss of the articulating LCD or articulating lens/body (a very very
> few models still have this).
>
> It reminds me of the quote that used to be on Rivendell Bicycle's Web Site:
>
> "If you find something you really, really like, buy a lifetime supply;
> because it'll either be changed for the worse or go out of production."

Is that last paragraph above really true. If it is, please keep posting.
We love you, can't get enough. Please don't change, just go away.
Dave Cohen

David J Taylor

SMS wrote:
[]
> I was referring to the smaller cameras, not the ZLRs.

So was I.

> For
> ultra-compact cameras, if you look for ones with optical viewfinders
> and wide-angle lenses, you're down to one, the Sony DSC-W170. For
> compact cameras, you have the Canon G10 and the Nikon Coolpix P6000.
> For ZLRs there are a bunch. If you drop the optical viewfinder there
> are a few more.

Plenty of cameras with 28mm wide end - here's a 28 - 280mm
image-stabilised zoom in a compact:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

Other examples:

Canon 28-112mm:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_sd880is.asp

Nikon 28-11mm:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kon_cps610.asp

Cheers,
David

SMS

David J Taylor wrote:
> SMS wrote:
> []
>> I was referring to the smaller cameras, not the ZLRs.

> So was I.
>
>> For
>> ultra-compact cameras, if you look for ones with optical viewfinders
>> and wide-angle lenses, you're down to one, the Sony DSC-W170. For
>> compact cameras, you have the Canon G10 and the Nikon Coolpix P6000.
>> For ZLRs there are a bunch. If you drop the optical viewfinder there
>> are a few more.

> Plenty of cameras with 28mm wide end - here's a 28 - 280mm
> image-stabilised zoom in a compact:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/
>
> Other examples:
>
> Canon 28-112mm:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_sd880is.asp
>
> Nikon 28-11mm:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kon_cps610.asp

None of those have viewfinders. They are all unacceptable, and should be
avoided at all costs.

David J Taylor

SMS wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:

[]
>> Plenty of cameras with 28mm wide end - here's a 28 - 280mm
>> image-stabilised zoom in a compact:
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/
>>
>> Other examples:
>>
>> Canon 28-112mm:
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_sd880is.asp
>>
>> Nikon 28-112mm:
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kon_cps610.asp

> None of those have viewfinders. They are all unacceptable, and should
> be avoided at all costs.

Nonsense. I have the Panasonic TZ3 and don't miss the optical viewfinder
one jot! The cameras may be unacceptable to you, but please don't think
that you speak for 100% of the user population!

David

SMS

David J Taylor wrote:

> Nonsense. I have the Panasonic TZ3 and don't miss the optical
> viewfinder one jot! The cameras may be unacceptable to you, but please
> don't think that you speak for 100% of the user population!

Okay, only 99.999%

David J Taylor

SMS wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> Nonsense. I have the Panasonic TZ3 and don't miss the optical
>> viewfinder one jot! The cameras may be unacceptable to you, but
>> please don't think that you speak for 100% of the user population!

> Okay, only 99.999%

<G>

David