Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Horrors spawned by P&S marketing

Re: Horrors spawned by P&S marketing

-hh

SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Pity about the swivel LCD - starting to see it DSLRs now....

> It was an amazingly useful feature. The Canon SX10 IS still has it. It
> sucks that Canon removed it from the G series.

And removed from the A series as well.

Whoever said the following is right:
"If you find something you really, really like, buy a lifetime
supply;
because it'll either be changed for the worse or go out of
production."

Anyone have a Canon A80 in mint condition?

-hh

ASAAR

On 09 Dec 2008 19:30:35 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:

>>The mindless increase in resolution, resulting in smaller and smaller
>>pixels, which in turn results in more noise, and poorer low light
>>performance.

> In five years some marketing weenie will come up with the idead of
> advertising a special "high quality" mode that simply does binning
> on the 24MP P&S sensor to reduce noise and impsove quality, and we'll
> be back at 6MP cameras.

The same marketing weenie that imposed the "mindless increase in
resolution" or another marketing weenie that loves photography? I
like the idea of cameras that let you select the image mode at will,
high resolution for low ISO landscapes and a lower res. mode for
clean high ISO shots, speed and image files of reasonable size. I
don't know that I'd want a 24mp sensor, but a couple of years ago
P&S cameras with 10mp sensors seemed excessive but today's G10 does
a pretty good job with its 15mp sensor. Don't be surprised if a G11
ups it to 18 or 20mp and maybe even a G12 with 20mp or more. One of
these wouldn't replace, but would be used along with my D500 DSLR
that also has a higher usable ISO binned D50 mode.

David J Taylor

RichA wrote:
[]
> Meanwhile, my 2001 C-3040 had a f1.8 lens. Seen any of them on a P&S
> recently?

Who needs f/1.8 any more when compact cameas offer ISO 1600 and 3200?

<G>

David

David J Taylor

RichA wrote:
[]
> Yes, people really did need 3.5" LCDs on the back of P&Ss, so they'd
> have more room for ugly fingerprints.

Had you actually used a camera with a larger, higher resolution LCD
perhaps you would have appreciated why it's a benefit. Perhaps you now
need reading glasses, or bifocals?

David

PDM

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> SMS wrote:
>> []
>>> The loss of the 28mm wide angle on most zoom lenses (a handful still
>>> have this).
>>>
>>> The loss of the articulating LCD or articulating lens/body (a very
>>> very few models still have this).

>> []
>>
>> I thought that there were more wide-angle models today than previously -
>> that's my impression.
>>
>> Pity about the swivel LCD - starting to see it DSLRs now....
>>
>> David

> The swivel LCD is a great feature for those who do close-up (macro) work.
> Not so useful for general photos. <snip>

Don't agree with this statement. Found the swivel on my G3 very useful for
candid street photography. People assume you are either messing about or
shooting in the direction you are standing. Also can see screen if I hold
the camera over my head to shoot over crowds; or if I want to take a low
level picture so it turns out different to all the eye level shots one sees.
PDM

Don Stauffer

David J Taylor wrote:
> SMS wrote:
> []
>> The loss of the 28mm wide angle on most zoom lenses (a handful still
>> have this).
>>
>> The loss of the articulating LCD or articulating lens/body (a very
>> very few models still have this).

> []
>
> I thought that there were more wide-angle models today than previously -
> that's my impression.
>
> Pity about the swivel LCD - starting to see it DSLRs now....
>
> David

Mine too. When I first got into photography few used such extreme wide
angles. At least, they were considered extreme at the time. Since the
perspective creates a sort of "barrel distortion" illusion (yes, I know
it is not truly distortion- it just looks like it), people stayed away
from it. Also the big noses if you had people in the shots turned off
some. I see the popularity of 28 mm growing in the eighties and
nineties, with even shorter F in the late nineties. I am talking about
35mm equivalent, not actual focal length. Anyway, being old school, I
don't worry about those kind of field angles.

Andrew Koenig

"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
message news:m7L%k.4214$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> Who needs f/1.8 any more when compact cameas offer ISO 1600 and 3200?

> <G>

I assume that the <G> means that you realize that the question is
sarcastic -- but perhaps other readers won't, so I'll chime in here.

ISO 1600 on the compact cameras I've seen is pretty bad. If the lens were
two stops faster, it would be possible to use ISO 400, which is typically
only mediocre, but still a big improvement. So an f/1.8 lens would be a big
improvement over an f/3.5 lens.

Andrew Koenig

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> The swivel LCD is a great feature for those who do close-up (macro) work.
> Not so useful for general photos.

Don't forget self-portraits.

SMS

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>> The swivel LCD is a great feature for those who do close-up (macro) work.
>> Not so useful for general photos.

> Don't forget self-portraits.

It's also useful when you have to hold the camera above a crowd.

J. Clarke

SMS wrote:
> Andrew Koenig wrote:
>> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>>> The swivel LCD is a great feature for those who do close-up
>>> (macro)
>>> work. Not so useful for general photos.

>> Don't forget self-portraits.

> It's also useful when you have to hold the camera above a crowd.

Don't know whether you've noticed or not but the Sony A350 DSLR has a
live-view LCD that swings out both up and down.

It's also useful for low angle shots by the way.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)