Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > oddball unexpected "you have mail" message

oddball unexpected "you have mail" message

richard

Tonight just out of the blue I get a message from my systray.
WTF? You have mail at {domain].
Huh?
To my knowledge there is absolutely nothing on this machine that even
knows about THAT domain I own. No email clients, no newsreaders,
nuthin. Unless perhaps the addy was found in a temp file somewhere.
What made it even more odd was the mail was from
"(E-Mail Removed)".
Ok like that tells me somethin is phishy here.
Looking in the systray I find this icon and it says "launch manager".
What the hell is this?
More investigating shows it's from a company called "Dritek" which
apparently is in Taiwan and out of business.

Somehow or other Acer has acquired this little nuisance and may be
triggered by applications that have errors. As I had been running one
program tonight in which a crash happened unexpectedly. But no big
deal on that.

From what I've read the thing is like totally useless so I removed it.

Now by doing that I expect my machine to crash, and go snap, crackle
and pop.

Are mac's on sale?

Expert lino fitter

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tonight just out of the blue I get a message from my systray.
> WTF? You have mail at {domain].
> Huh?
> To my knowledge there is absolutely nothing on this machine that even
> knows about THAT domain I own. No email clients, no newsreaders,
> nuthin. Unless perhaps the addy was found in a temp file somewhere.
> What made it even more odd was the mail was from
> "(E-Mail Removed)".
> Ok like that tells me somethin is phishy here.
> Looking in the systray I find this icon and it says "launch manager".
> What the hell is this?
> More investigating shows it's from a company called "Dritek" which
> apparently is in Taiwan and out of business.
>
> Somehow or other Acer has acquired this little nuisance and may be
> triggered by applications that have errors. As I had been running one
> program tonight in which a crash happened unexpectedly. But no big
> deal on that.
>
> From what I've read the thing is like totally useless so I removed it.
>
> Now by doing that I expect my machine to crash, and go snap, crackle
> and pop.

Let's see if I can dissect your stupidity steeped in ineptitude and
paranoia - You assess (note, I haven't assumed you think, because you
evidently can't) that by removing 'something' from your system in the way
you describe your machine is somehow going to go tits up, is that right?

> Am I really an arsehole?

The whole of Usenet knows you are - you seem to be the only one who doesn't
smell it.

*PLANK*

Fit some lino today, it'll do you good - I know because I'm an expert.

Expert lino fitter

Expert lino fitter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Tonight just out of the blue I get a message from my systray.
>> WTF? You have mail at {domain].
>> Huh?
>> To my knowledge there is absolutely nothing on this machine that even
>> knows about THAT domain I own. No email clients, no newsreaders,
>> nuthin. Unless perhaps the addy was found in a temp file somewhere.
>> What made it even more odd was the mail was from
>> "(E-Mail Removed)".
>> Ok like that tells me somethin is phishy here.
>> Looking in the systray I find this icon and it says "launch manager".
>> What the hell is this?
>> More investigating shows it's from a company called "Dritek" which
>> apparently is in Taiwan and out of business.
>>
>> Somehow or other Acer has acquired this little nuisance and may be
>> triggered by applications that have errors. As I had been running one
>> program tonight in which a crash happened unexpectedly. But no big
>> deal on that.
>>
>> From what I've read the thing is like totally useless so I removed
>> it. Now by doing that I expect my machine to crash, and go snap, crackle
>> and pop.

> Let's see if I can dissect your stupidity steeped in ineptitude and
> paranoia - You assess (note, I haven't assumed you think, because you
> evidently can't) that by removing 'something' from your system in the
> way you describe your machine is somehow going to go tits up, is that
> right?
>> Am I really an arsehole?

> The whole of Usenet knows you are - you seem to be the only one who
> doesn't smell it.
>
> *PLANK* *LINOLEUM*
>
> Fit some lino today, it'll do you good - I know because I'm an expert.

**Corrected**