Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > No Image on LCD Screen

No Image on LCD Screen

Roclive

I've just bought a 2nd hand 'Minolta Dimage X20', (2Mp).

Everything fires up ok, apart from an image on the LCD screen (although it
shows the various modes I've selected, ie: movie/auto flash etc).

Is it possible I'm using an SD card with too high a memory (512Mb), as I
note from a review page it doesn't mention anything larger than 64Mb?

Any advice much appreciated.

Jürgen Exner

"Roclive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I've just bought a 2nd hand 'Minolta Dimage X20', (2Mp).
>
>Everything fires up ok, apart from an image on the LCD screen (although it
>shows the various modes I've selected, ie: movie/auto flash etc).
>
>Is it possible I'm using an SD card with too high a memory (512Mb), as I
>note from a review page it doesn't mention anything larger than 64Mb?

Unlikely. Memory card problem would normally manifest themself in a
different way, not ot mention that SD is specific to 2GB, therefore any
device not able to handle 512MB would in violation of the SD standard
(which of course is still possible).

I think it is much more likely that the camera settings have been
changed to not display the photo after the shot. Some people do that to
save batteries, especially on such an old camera which were real
batterie hogs.
Check the manual to see where and how to turn on/off photos and if that
doesn't help then check for a "reset to factory defaults". Might be a
good idea anyway because who knows what other settings the previous
owner had changed.

jue

ASAAR

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:46:28 -0000, Roclive wrote:

> I've just bought a 2nd hand 'Minolta Dimage X20', (2Mp).
>
> Everything fires up ok, apart from an image on the LCD screen (although it
> shows the various modes I've selected, ie: movie/auto flash etc).
>
> Is it possible I'm using an SD card with too high a memory (512Mb), as I
> note from a review page it doesn't mention anything larger than 64Mb?

That's a good guess. The X20 was introduced in 2003 judging by
the dates of several reviews, and one of them (DCResource) said :

> I'd recommend 64MB as a starting point. The camera can also
> use slower, lower capacity MultiMediaCards (MMC).

From that you can assume that the X20 definitely can use 128MB and
possibly 256MB SD cards. If I recall correctly, about a year later
in 2004, many cameras had maximum memory limits of 64MB, 128MB,
256MB and a few could use 512MB cards. Are you able to format your
512MB card from the X20's menu?

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ge_x20-review/

Paul

"Roclive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've just bought a 2nd hand 'Minolta Dimage X20', (2Mp).
>
> Everything fires up ok, apart from an image on the LCD screen
> (although it shows the various modes I've selected, ie: movie/auto
> flash etc).
>
> Is it possible I'm using an SD card with too high a memory (512Mb), as
> I note from a review page it doesn't mention anything larger than
> 64Mb?
>
> Any advice much appreciated.

I would say this is the problem. See:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html