Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > dBase III files and Visual Foxpro 6 files

dBase III files and Visual Foxpro 6 files

Ethan Furman

Greetings All!

I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
wrapping up support for dates. The null value has been a hindrance for
awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.

For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.

As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready. idx files -- no support: for
my purposes I just don't need them. I've found no problem in loading
tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
them on the fly in memory.

However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
files that would need idx/cdx support? Or tables so large they won't
fit comfortably into memory?

~ethan~

sniffer

On Dec 8, 12:53*pm, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greetings All!
>
> I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
> wrapping up support for dates. *The null value has been a hindrance for
> awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.
>
> For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
> and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
> * *Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.
>
> As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready. *idx files -- no support: *for
> my purposes I just don't need them. *I've found no problem in loading
> tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
> them on the fly in memory.
>
> However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
> useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
> files that would need idx/cdx support? *Or tables so large they won't
> fit comfortably into memory?
>
> ~ethan~

hi ethan,
great to hear that someone has finally written something for
interacting with vfp6 data,when do you plan to release it

Ethan Furman

sniffer wrote:
> On Dec 8, 12:53 pm, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Greetings All!
>>
>> I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
>> wrapping up support for dates. The null value has been a hindrance for
>> awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.
>>
>> For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
>> and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
>> Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.
>>
>> As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready. idx files -- no support: for
>> my purposes I just don't need them. I've found no problem in loading
>> tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
>> them on the fly in memory.
>>
>> However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
>> useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
>> files that would need idx/cdx support? Or tables so large they won't
>> fit comfortably into memory?
>>
>> ~ethan~

> hi ethan,
> great to hear that someone has finally written something for
> interacting with vfp6 data,when do you plan to release it

Well, let's see...

A couple more days to have the datetime bit worked out (I don't support
datetimes prior to 1981 in vfp tables),
longer for currency types, and of course, no idx/cdx support at this point.

Tell you what -- I'll trade you a copy of the code as it stands with
date and datetime working for null values, for an answer of whether you
need idx/cdx file support.

~ethan~

sniffer

On Dec 8, 7:44*pm, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> sniffer wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 12:53 pm, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Greetings All!

> >> I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
> >> wrapping up support for dates. *The null value has been a hindrance for
> >> awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.

> >> For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
> >> and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
> >> * *Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.

> >> As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready. *idx files -- no support: *for
> >> my purposes I just don't need them. *I've found no problem in loading
> >> tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
> >> them on the fly in memory.

> >> However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
> >> useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
> >> files that would need idx/cdx support? *Or tables so large they won't
> >> fit comfortably into memory?

> >> ~ethan~

> > hi ethan,
> > great to hear that someone has finally written something for
> > interacting with vfp6 data,when do you plan to release it

> Well, let's see...
>
> A couple more days to have the datetime bit worked out (I don't support
> datetimes prior to 1981 in vfp tables),
> longer for currency types, and of course, no idx/cdx support at this point.
>
> Tell you what -- *I'll trade you a copy of the code as it stands with
> date and datetime working for null values, for an answer of whether you
> need idx/cdx file support. *
>
> ~ethan~

well ethan luckily i dont require idx/cdx support

imageguy

On Dec 8, 2:53*am, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greetings All!
>
> I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
> wrapping up support for dates. *The null value has been a hindrance for
> awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.
>
> For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
> and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
> * *Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.
>
> As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready. *idx files -- no support: *for
> my purposes I just don't need them. *I've found no problem in loading
> tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
> them on the fly in memory.
>
> However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
> useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
> files that would need idx/cdx support? *Or tables so large they won't
> fit comfortably into memory?
>
> ~ethan~

I occasionally need access to dbf files. In the past I have used the
recipe found in the
python cookbook on the activestate website. I do not need access to
the idx/cdx as I have found that

If/When you release would enjoy having a peak.

g.

Dbase / foxpro files Johny Python 8 05-19-2008 05:42 PM
dBase 3 to FoxPro or ?? Robert Baer Computer Information 0 11-07-2004 10:28 PM
Dbase III JD Computer Support 2 02-26-2004 01:29 AM
Querying More Than 255 Characters from FoxPro/DBase Database Field Matt Young ASP General 4 01-31-2004 07:02 AM
dBase III+ John Whitaker Computer Support 3 09-01-2003 03:08 PM

Advertisments