Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > write image to USB memory stick

write image to USB memory stick

John in Wembley

is it possible to write an image to a memory stick?
I'd like to put freesco on a USB memory stick but cant find any info
on how to do. Suspect it cant be done or there would be heaps of info
out there...

EMB

John in Wembley wrote:
> is it possible to write an image to a memory stick?
> I'd like to put freesco on a USB memory stick but cant find any info
> on how to do. Suspect it cant be done or there would be heaps of info
> out there...

Maybe treat it like a HDD?

http://bakskuru.se/fredrik/freesco/afib/afib_06.html

Or maybe not......

http://www.freesco.org/support-forum...howtopic=16953

Ray Greene

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 23:03:24 -0800 (PST), John in Wembley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>is it possible to write an image to a memory stick?
>I'd like to put freesco on a USB memory stick but cant find any info
>on how to do. Suspect it cant be done or there would be heaps of info
>out there...

It is possible to do it. The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows can be
installed onto a USB stick. Have a look at
http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?...showtopic=9630
I don't know how that will apply to a different image though but you
might get some ideas.

That's a Windows disk image though, the original Linux Ultimate Boot
CD also installs onto a USB stick. Have a look at
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ about halfway down the page.

--
Ray Greene

EMB

EMB wrote:
> John in Wembley wrote:
>> is it possible to write an image to a memory stick?
>> I'd like to put freesco on a USB memory stick but cant find any info
>> on how to do. Suspect it cant be done or there would be heaps of info
>> out there...

> Maybe treat it like a HDD?
>
> http://bakskuru.se/fredrik/freesco/afib/afib_06.html
>
> Or maybe not......
>
> http://www.freesco.org/support-forum...howtopic=16953

If all you want is to run it off a flash device in the interests of
reliability and low power consumption it installs ok in HDD mode onto a
CF card on an IDE converter.