Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best duplicate digital photo finder that's free on Windows

Best duplicate digital photo finder that's free on Windows

Bill Davies

Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital photographs?

Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and CRC
hashes.

I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look at
the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out there?

Johnw

Bill Davies explained :
> Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital photographs?
> Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
> software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and CRC
> hashes.
> I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look at
> the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out there?

No idea if it's the best.

Duplicate Cleaner
http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/

hummingbird

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:55:39 -0800 'Bill Davies'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital photographs?
>
>Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
>software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and CRC
>hashes.
>
>I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look at
>the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out there?

I have a copy of Duplicate Detector v3.201 ("Dup Detector")
and have used it for this. It has adjustable levels of heuristic
analysis. Obviously trial/error is necessary using settings.

Here's a link to v3.1 but I suggest you look for a later version:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Detector.shtml

It might also be available thru www.pricelesswarehome.org.

--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,

Bill Davies

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:19:18 +0900, Johnw wrote:

> Duplicate Cleaner
> http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/

Duplicate Cleaner works great but NOT for photographs (except exact CRC
matches or filename or filesize matches).

The only special file type Duplicate Cleaner handles is MP3 files because
it looks at the ID3 tags.

But Duplicate Cleaner does not look at JPEG EXIF tags so it's not a
specialized duplicate photo finder like VisiPics is which uses heruristics,
I think, to locate similar photo files.

Bill Davies

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 06:13:52 -0600, Recluseman35 wrote:

> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Detector.shtml

I'll try this Dup-Detector program.

Since I'm looking for photographic files ONLY, and since they may not have
the same file size, file name, nor EXIF information, the heuristics are
important.

Susan Bugher

Bill Davies wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 06:13:52 -0600, Recluseman35 wrote:
>
>> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Detector.shtml

> I'll try this Dup-Detector program.
>
> Since I'm looking for photographic files ONLY, and since they may not have
> the same file size, file name, nor EXIF information, the heuristics are
> important.

I recommend Dup Detector too - I use and like it. Softpedia has an older
version. Get the last Freeware version here:

Program: Dup Detector (Pricelessware 200
Company: Prismatic Software
Author: William L. Hunt
Windows 95; 98; NT; ME; 2000; XP; (Vista)
Ware: (Freeware) LFW (v 3.201+ (2005-10-24))
http://www.freeware-guide.com/rareware/DupDetector.html
(731 KB) (MD5: 9B3283734909C0CA319E4C41D65161C2)
(Re "v 3.201+": the author forgot to change the version number when he
created the final version.)

FYI more image duplicate detectors that have been mentioned in ACF are
listed here:
<http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10DuplicateFileChecker:Image s>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

Thip

"Bill Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsH2%k.2430$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital
> photographs?
>
> Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
> software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and CRC
> hashes.
>
> I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look at
> the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out there?

I use DupPicFinder:

http://www.jonbondy.com/HomePage/software.htm

allancass allancass is offline
Junior Member

MindGems provides the best duplicate file finders.
There are the free Fast Duplicate File Finder, Audio Dedupe and Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder.

Please look for them on google as I can not post links.

Cheers.

abcd.123 abcd.123 is offline
Junior Member

If you are facing the issue of duplicate files or photos. http://www.duplicatefilesdeleter.com/ is the best option for this issue.