Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > AHCI SATA mode - From Native IDE Mode - Workaround

AHCI SATA mode - From Native IDE Mode - Workaround

LDJ

Hello Anybody!

If you have installed Windows Vista, with the On Chip SATA Controller
operating in Native IDE mode (default) in bios, and you decide to change
to AHCI mode, it's not possible to add the driver. The driver should
have been added with the option: add storage drivers, during the first
part of the installation. Changing the BIOS setting to operate in AHCI
mode simply will give a BSOD when you boot the system again.

I have found a way to accomplish the change to AHCI mode, after
the system has been installed:

1: Change the a registry key, following the guide here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

This is a copy and past of the text:

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci
In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click
Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After having modified the Registry key, you can go on with the
installation of the driver:

2: Open Device Manager, and scroll down to, and highlight storage
controller.

Click the Action button, on the Top and select Add New Hardware (on my
Danish version of Vista, it's called something like "Add Older Hardware"

When the Guide starts, choose to manually install the HW. You will be
presented with the option: Show all types.
Scroll to, and highlight the Storage Controller, click next. In the next
window, you will have several devices to choose from. Scroll down to
Microsoft, and in the right panel choose "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" and
the installation of the driver takes place.

This is the weird thing that makes it possible to add the AHCI drivers.
You now have two instances of "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" in device
manager.

3: The operation is to highlight the newly added "Microsoft
iSCSI-initiator", and click "Update Driver Software"
Choose to manually add the driver instead of automatically search for
updated driver, and click next. Now add your "F6 drivers"

Reboot, and change the BIOS setting to AHCI.

The Short story:

1.Change registry key
2.Add new HW (2 pieces of the same "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" driver)
3.Update the newly added "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" to "AMD Compatible
Raid Controller"
4.Reboot and make the changes in BIOS to configure the SATA controller
to operate in AHCI mode.
5. Start your system without getting the BSOD

I know this is a poor explanation, but I hope someone can use it.

Kind Regards
LDJ

John Hughes

Is this a Vista specific solution, even though it is posted in the XP Pro
discussion group? I can't find the msahci registry entry on my system? I
would appreciate any help.

--
jfh

"LDJ" wrote:

> Hello Anybody!
>
> If you have installed Windows Vista, with the On Chip SATA Controller
> operating in Native IDE mode (default) in bios, and you decide to change
> to AHCI mode, it's not possible to add the driver. The driver should
> have been added with the option: add storage drivers, during the first
> part of the installation. Changing the BIOS setting to operate in AHCI
> mode simply will give a BSOD when you boot the system again.
>

> I have found a way to accomplish the change to AHCI mode, after
> the system has been installed:
>
> 1: Change the a registry key, following the guide here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
>
> This is a copy and past of the text:
>
> Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci
> In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click
> Modify.
> In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
> On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
>
> After having modified the Registry key, you can go on with the
> installation of the driver:
>
> 2: Open Device Manager, and scroll down to, and highlight storage
> controller.
>
> Click the Action button, on the Top and select Add New Hardware (on my
> Danish version of Vista, it's called something like "Add Older Hardware"
>
> When the Guide starts, choose to manually install the HW. You will be
> presented with the option: Show all types.
> Scroll to, and highlight the Storage Controller, click next. In the next
> window, you will have several devices to choose from. Scroll down to
> Microsoft, and in the right panel choose "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" and
> the installation of the driver takes place.
>
> This is the weird thing that makes it possible to add the AHCI drivers.
> You now have two instances of "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" in device
> manager.
>
> 3: The operation is to highlight the newly added "Microsoft
> iSCSI-initiator", and click "Update Driver Software"
> Choose to manually add the driver instead of automatically search for
> updated driver, and click next. Now add your "F6 drivers"
>
> Reboot, and change the BIOS setting to AHCI.
>
> The Short story:
>
> 1.Change registry key
> 2.Add new HW (2 pieces of the same "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" driver)
> 3.Update the newly added "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" to "AMD Compatible
> Raid Controller"
> 4.Reboot and make the changes in BIOS to configure the SATA controller
> to operate in AHCI mode.
> 5. Start your system without getting the BSOD
>
> I know this is a poor explanation, but I hope someone can use it.
>
> Kind Regards
> LDJ

John Hughes

I believe I can answer my own question. These instructions are for Windows
Vista. On XP Pro x64, I was able to accomplish the same thing by installing
the AHCI drivers manually from the motherboard vendor's CD, then shutting
down and changing the bios setting before rebooting into windows. There were
no manual registry changes needed. I can give more detailed instructions
should anyone be interested.
--
jfh

"LDJ" wrote:

> Hello Anybody!
>
> If you have installed Windows Vista, with the On Chip SATA Controller
> operating in Native IDE mode (default) in bios, and you decide to change
> to AHCI mode, it's not possible to add the driver. The driver should
> have been added with the option: add storage drivers, during the first
> part of the installation. Changing the BIOS setting to operate in AHCI
> mode simply will give a BSOD when you boot the system again.
>

> I have found a way to accomplish the change to AHCI mode, after
> the system has been installed:
>
> 1: Change the a registry key, following the guide here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
>
> This is a copy and past of the text:
>
> Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci
> In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click
> Modify.
> In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
> On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
>
> After having modified the Registry key, you can go on with the
> installation of the driver:
>
> 2: Open Device Manager, and scroll down to, and highlight storage
> controller.
>
> Click the Action button, on the Top and select Add New Hardware (on my
> Danish version of Vista, it's called something like "Add Older Hardware"
>
> When the Guide starts, choose to manually install the HW. You will be
> presented with the option: Show all types.
> Scroll to, and highlight the Storage Controller, click next. In the next
> window, you will have several devices to choose from. Scroll down to
> Microsoft, and in the right panel choose "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" and
> the installation of the driver takes place.
>
> This is the weird thing that makes it possible to add the AHCI drivers.
> You now have two instances of "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" in device
> manager.
>
> 3: The operation is to highlight the newly added "Microsoft
> iSCSI-initiator", and click "Update Driver Software"
> Choose to manually add the driver instead of automatically search for
> updated driver, and click next. Now add your "F6 drivers"
>
> Reboot, and change the BIOS setting to AHCI.
>
> The Short story:
>
> 1.Change registry key
> 2.Add new HW (2 pieces of the same "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" driver)
> 3.Update the newly added "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" to "AMD Compatible
> Raid Controller"
> 4.Reboot and make the changes in BIOS to configure the SATA controller
> to operate in AHCI mode.
> 5. Start your system without getting the BSOD
>
> I know this is a poor explanation, but I hope someone can use it.
>
> Kind Regards
> LDJ

LDJ

Hello John!

John Hughes Wrote:

> I believe I can answer my own question. These instructions are for Windows
> Vista. On XP Pro x64, I was able to accomplish the same thing by installing
> the AHCI drivers manually from the motherboard vendor's CD, then shutting
> down and changing the bios setting before rebooting into windows. There were
> no manual registry changes needed. I can give more detailed instructions
> should anyone be interested.

You are right, It's for Vista, but I assume that people who are running
Windows Vista 64bit, and want to change From Native IDE Mode to AHCI
SATA mode drivers, are reading the postings in windows.64bit.general, as
well as in the Vista newsgroups. I do

I posted the "guide" here, as I feel more comfortable writing in
64bit.general, than in the Vista newsgroups. Here I see a lot of
postings from people, whom I have learned to respect through the years,
from when the microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit started in January
2004.

I have found many solutions to problems posted here, and I have
contributed with a few solutions myself here, and in
microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit, when it was still running.

If you google for: AHCI SATA mode - Native IDE Mode, you will get many
hits with links to explanations on how to accomplish the task (and
doesn't work)

Fooling around with nothing else to do I stumbled over a solution
that does work.

Please give the detailed instructions for WinXP64, they can be handy to
have for me and others. I have made a "box" for the postings I want to
keep for future use. I suppose most of you have such a "box"

Kind Regards
LDJ