Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Batteries When Using Laptop As a Desktop

Re: Batteries When Using Laptop As a Desktop

Buffalo

> I want to use an HP laptop (Vista Home Premium), 3 G RAM, 300 G hard
> drive as my desktop. It won't ever leave the office so I want to
> leave it plugged in all the time. Is it better to run it this way
> with the battery installed or without the battery?
>
> Thanks.
>
> James

Some say to remove it so that it will last longer and not cause a heat
buildup which will shorten its life.
Of course, as Phil says, if you leave it in and have a power failure, it
won't lose info.
Check with the mfg of the laptop. I believe Dell recommends to remove the
battery when using it maimly on external power.

hwf

Buffalo wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I want to use an HP laptop (Vista Home Premium), 3 G RAM, 300 G hard
>> drive as my desktop. It won't ever leave the office so I want to
>> leave it plugged in all the time. Is it better to run it this way
>> with the battery installed or without the battery?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> James

> Some say to remove it so that it will last longer and not cause a heat
> buildup which will shorten its life.
> Of course, as Phil says, if you leave it in and have a power failure, it
> won't lose info.

Minor point: it wont loose info even without the main battery in during
a power failure since lappys have something called RAM batteries that
are cute little plastic shrinkwrapped batteries with a pigtail & plug.
My lappy hs TWO sets of RAM batteries. Different sizes &
voltages...actually one is prolly the CMOS battery but the bigger one is
the RAM battery. 7.2v IIRC...

FYI

> Check with the mfg of the laptop. I believe Dell recommends to remove the
> battery when using it maimly on external power.

I'm into maiming my lappy too...

<CRUNCH>