Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Larry Thong's Video Adventures!!

Re: Larry Thong's Video Adventures!!

tony cooper

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:28:18 -0800, "Bill Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>True. Especially since the AMA controls our congress......At least, they
>control anything medical in the congress. At one time, not too long ago, we
>had a number of federal hospitals throughout the US. They never taught one
>physician at any of them.

That's not really true. VA hospitals do not have medical schools as
part of their program, but all VAs have residency programs. Being a
resident is part of the teaching program. Completing a residency
program is a requirement for most medical and surgical disciplines.

I spent my working career in the medical instrumentation field.
Before I started my own company, and hired salesmen, I called on many
surgical residents at VA hospitals.

>The AMA made sure of that.

I don't know if that's true or not. It's more likely that the state
university systems were against VA hospitals having medical schools
attached. Most medical schools are part of the state's university
program.

>Today, nearly all of
>these hospitals have been closed. And our wounded vets are having a hell of
>a time getting treatment as a result.

That part is absolutely true.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:10:10 +1000, Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:04:41 +1000, Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> You must be a very well informed person then Tony. I sometimes wish I
>>> had gone back to school but somehow never found time.

>> My degrees are in business. Indiana University and Northwestern
>> University. I never read business books, though.
>>
>>> And yes, to some I have led a very dull life and probably don't know a
>>> fraction of what you learned from reading the books you bought.
>>>
>>> When I need some home maintenance I have to pay someone to do it. You
>>> probably learned how to do it yourself by reading about it.

>> When I worked, when any home maintenance project came up I hired
>> someone to do it. I owned my own business and that meant very little
>> free time. Too much travel and long hours.
>>
>> Now that I'm retired, I tackle anything. Photography's handy there.
>> I recently replaced an electrical box (pool filters and pumps) that I
>> would have hired someone to replace in the past. I took a photograph
>> of the wiring connections and just replicated that in the new box.
>>
>> The only thing that's defeated me so far is replacing drywall. Taping
>> and mudding joints is a real skill, and I don't have it. I tried one
>> project and then ripped it out and called someone.
>>
>> The jury is still out on my mat cutting skills. I don't have the
>> right kit to do it, and cutting beveled edges and getting the corners
>> looking good still eludes me.
>>

>Mat cutting is right up my alley!
>That and book binding (making wedding albums) are skills I acquired
>early in life. Plenty of manual mat cutters around that work OK. Mine is
>computerised now but for years I used a hand cutter.
>
>If you can rewire a switch box, you should be able to master a decent
>cutter. Logan brand cutters are pretty good. The quality of the mat
>board and the softness of what you put under it while cutting determine
>how good the cut is.

I blame it on being left-handed. I have a Logan Freestyle 1100 and
one of those self-sealing mats. Also a metal t-square.

>I used to put a foam mount scrap under where I was making the cut and
>got good results.

I can make scraps. That's all I can make.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Eric Miller

> I would have said the same thing a couple of years ago....But consider
> this: I had over $600 K in the stock market about a year or so
> ago.....

> ......Any reasonable investment advisor would tell you . . .

Any reasonable investment advisor will tell you that when you are 72
years old, you shouldn't have your retirement money in stocks.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

tony cooper

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:37:26 -0800, "Bill Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:28:18 -0800, "Bill Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>True. Especially since the AMA controls our congress......At least, they
>>>control anything medical in the congress. At one time, not too long ago,
>>>we
>>>had a number of federal hospitals throughout the US. They never taught one
>>>physician at any of them.

>> That's not really true. VA hospitals do not have medical schools as
>> part of their program, but all VAs have residency programs. Being a
>> resident is part of the teaching program. Completing a residency
>> program is a requirement for most medical and surgical disciplines.
>>
>> I spent my working career in the medical instrumentation field.
>> Before I started my own company, and hired salesmen, I called on many
>> surgical residents at VA hospitals.
>>
>>>The AMA made sure of that.

>> I don't know if that's true or not. It's more likely that the state
>> university systems were against VA hospitals having medical schools
>> attached. Most medical schools are part of the state's university
>> program.
>>
>>>Today, nearly all of
>>>these hospitals have been closed. And our wounded vets are having a hell
>>>of
>>>a time getting treatment as a result.

>> That part is absolutely true.
>>
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

>Well, all of my life I have bitched that the military should be teaching
>doctors in their VA hospitals. You could learn most any trade in the
>military, but the medical profession was mysteriously absent in their list
>of things you could learn.

Again, what you are saying is not accurate. The military does not
teach people to be doctors because that is a function of medical
schools. The military does teach people a "trade" in the medical
field: medical corpsmen. There are many employees in hospitals
engaged in medical trades who learned their skills in the military and
are in some medical technician position.

>Even the schools that did teach medicine, kept it
>a deep dark secret. When I went to Cal Berkeley, they had a day where all
>the schools had card tables set up on the grinder inside South Gate, and
>they tried to recruit new students into their
>Engineering/Architecture/Journalism/etc, Schools.....but the card table for
>their medical school

Medical school is a post-graduate program. An undergraduate can take
a pre-med program, but the program for that would be in the science
schools. If there was a card table for science, biology, or any of
the other science fields, they were recruiting future doctors.

>was strangely missing.......There is a reason doctors
>are all millionaires.....There just aren't near enough of them. And there is
>no good reason for that. I have met and dealt with enough of them to know
>that you don't have to be a genius to be one.......But there is something
>you do have to have.....It's called, "connections".

The primary reason for any shortage of doctors is the tremendous
expense of becoming one. To be a practicing doctor requires about
seven years of post-graduate education, and the candidate must pay for
that. Connections don't get anyone into medical school. Connections
may get a person with qualified grades into a particular medical
school, or a medical school graduate into a particular residency
program, but the best of connections doesn't get a poor student into
medical school.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

frank

On Dec 13, 12:37*am, "Bill Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:28:18 -0800, "Bill Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> >>True. Especially since the AMA controls our congress......At least, they
> >>control anything medical in the congress. At one time, not too long ago,
> >>we
> >>had a number of federal hospitals throughout the US. They never taught one
> >>physician at any of them.

> > That's not really true. *VA hospitals do not have medical schools as
> > part of their program, but all VAs have residency programs. *Being a
> > resident is part of the teaching program. *Completing a residency
> > program is a requirement for most medical and surgical disciplines.

> > I spent my working career in the medical instrumentation field.
> > Before I started my own company, and hired salesmen, I called on many
> > surgical residents at VA hospitals.

> >>The AMA made sure of that.

> > I don't know if that's true or not. *It's more likely that the state
> > university systems were against VA hospitals having medical schools
> > attached. *Most medical schools are part of the state's university
> > program.

> >>Today, nearly all of
> >>these hospitals have been closed. And our wounded vets are having a hell
> >>of
> >>a time getting treatment as a result.

> > That part is absolutely true.

> > --
> > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

> Well, all of my life I have bitched that the military should be teaching
> doctors in their VA hospitals. You could learn most any trade in the
> military, but the medical profession was mysteriously absent in their list
> of things you could learn. Even the schools that did teach medicine, kept it
> a deep dark secret. When I went to Cal Berkeley, they had a day where all
> the schools had card tables set up on the grinder inside South Gate, and
> they tried to recruit new students into their
> Engineering/Architecture/Journalism/etc, Schools.....but the card table for
> their medical school was strangely missing.......There is a reason doctors
> are all millionaires.....There just aren't near enough of them. And there is
> no good reason for that. I have met and dealt with enough of them to know
> that you don't have to be a genius to be one.......But there is something
> you do have to have.....It's called, "connections".

Not true, the military does run a medical school, but its tough to get
into. They will put you through med school if you sign up for I think
what used to be an 8 year commitment at least.

VA hospitals do teach residents, usually have connections with a local
med school if there is one.

Public hospitals get a ton of subsidies from the Federal gov to teach
doctors, especially up in the NYC area / corridor. Tons of money.

mj

"frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Not true, the military does run a medical school, but its tough to get
into. They will put you through med school if you sign up for I think
what used to be an 8 year commitment at least.

VA hospitals do teach residents, usually have connections with a local
med school if there is one.

Public hospitals get a ton of subsidies from the Federal gov to teach
doctors, especially up in the NYC area / corridor. Tons of money.

OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) in Portland is a teaching hospital
right next door to the VA hospital and a children's hospital.