Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Larry Thong's Video Adventures!!

Re: Larry Thong's Video Adventures!!

J. Clarke

Jurgen wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>

>> No, you have a nasty streak because you see anyone who isn't rich
>> as
>> being your moral inferior.
>>

>> The only person I see grumping around here is you.
>>

> I'm sorry you see things that way John. I don't judge people by what
> they have but what they are.
>
> I've only met a handful of people in my entire life, I'd care to
> make
> friends with. All the rest led a lifestyle I simply cannot
> understand
> and refused to participate in.
>
> If you think my is
> seeing those who do these things as morally inferior, you need to
> look closely at your own code of conduct and lifestyle, not judge me
> for mine.

So in your little world abstaining from smoking pot and/or tobacco,
and
refusing to spend money of gambling or booze just to **** it against
the wall a few hours later and wake up broke the next morning are all
that one needs to do in order to have a million dollars in the bank?
And the only people who aren't millionaires are those who have engaged
in those activities? And you claim that you don't see people who
aren't rich as morally inferior?

Jurgen, you're a jackass. Enjoy your money.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Jurgen

J. Clarke wrote:
> Jurgen wrote:
>> J. Clarke wrote:
>>

>>> No, you have a nasty streak because you see anyone who isn't rich
>>> as
>>> being your moral inferior.
>>>

>>> The only person I see grumping around here is you.
>>>

>> I'm sorry you see things that way John. I don't judge people by what
>> they have but what they are.
>>
>> I've only met a handful of people in my entire life, I'd care to
>> make
>> friends with. All the rest led a lifestyle I simply cannot
>> understand
>> and refused to participate in.
>>
>> If you think my is
>> seeing those who do these things as morally inferior, you need to
>> look closely at your own code of conduct and lifestyle, not judge me
>> for mine.

> So in your little world abstaining from smoking pot and/or tobacco,
> and
> refusing to spend money of gambling or booze just to **** it against
> the wall a few hours later and wake up broke the next morning are all
> that one needs to do in order to have a million dollars in the bank?
> And the only people who aren't millionaires are those who have engaged
> in those activities? And you claim that you don't see people who
> aren't rich as morally inferior?
>
> Jurgen, you're a jackass. Enjoy your money.

Well thank you John. I don't actually enjoy it. Just use it for the
purpose I saved it. Buy whatever I need in later life.

Before we part company with you thinking I'm a jackass, Let me just give
you a very conservative example of why I believe what I do and why it's
you who is the jackass, not me:

A pack a day of cigarettes for 60 years at an average cost (40 - $5.00
so I call it $2.50 a pack) comes out to at least $60,000.

A bottle of booze a week ($10 a bottle average) comes out to close
enough to $31,000. The compounding interest if you'd saved that much at
the same rate you spent it would have the $90,000 wasted on rubbish turn
into $150,000 at the very least.

John, without sounding like a jackass, you could have had $150,000 today
if instead of being a mild smoker and average drinker, you put the money
in a savings account earning just 4% interest.

On top of the waste on booze and smokes the average American pays a
credit card interest rate of 8% on their average $10,000 worth of
credit. So if you never had a credit card, you could expect to have
saved an extra $50,000 plus about 15 grand in interest.

Here you go John.
Rocket science it ain't but truth it absolutely is.
Those people who smoked, drank moderately and had a credit card debt
averaging $10,000 - wasted $200,000 in their lifetime.

If you decided to retire at 60 and figured on dying at 90, you'd have
$175 a week to do what I do, buy toys and pay for holidays.

If you ask me anyone who wasted that much of their life's savings on
crap, is the jackass, not me for pointing it out.

Cynicor

Jurgen wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Jurgen wrote:

>>> I'm sorry you see things that way John. I don't judge people by what
>>> they have but what they are.
>>>
>>> I've only met a handful of people in my entire life, I'd care to make
>>> friends with. All the rest led a lifestyle I simply cannot understand
>>> and refused to participate in.
>>>
>>> If you think my is
>>> seeing those who do these things as morally inferior, you need to
>>> look closely at your own code of conduct and lifestyle, not judge me
>>> for mine.

>> So in your little world abstaining from smoking pot and/or tobacco, and
>> refusing to spend money of gambling or booze just to **** it against
>> the wall a few hours later and wake up broke the next morning are all
>> that one needs to do in order to have a million dollars in the bank?
>> And the only people who aren't millionaires are those who have engaged
>> in those activities? And you claim that you don't see people who
>> aren't rich as morally inferior?
>>
>> Jurgen, you're a jackass. Enjoy your money.
>>

> Well thank you John. I don't actually enjoy it. Just use it for the
> purpose I saved it. Buy whatever I need in later life.
>
> Before we part company with you thinking I'm a jackass, Let me just give
> you a very conservative example of why I believe what I do and why it's
> you who is the jackass, not me:
>
> A pack a day of cigarettes for 60 years at an average cost (40 - $5.00
> so I call it $2.50 a pack) comes out to at least $60,000.
>
> A bottle of booze a week ($10 a bottle average) comes out to close
> enough to $31,000. The compounding interest if you'd saved that much at
> the same rate you spent it would have the $90,000 wasted on rubbish turn
> into $150,000 at the very least.
>
> John, without sounding like a jackass, you could have had $150,000 today
> if instead of being a mild smoker and average drinker, you put the money
> in a savings account earning just 4% interest.
>
> On top of the waste on booze and smokes the average American pays a
> credit card interest rate of 8% on their average $10,000 worth of
> credit. So if you never had a credit card, you could expect to have
> saved an extra $50,000 plus about 15 grand in interest.
>
> Here you go John.
> Rocket science it ain't but truth it absolutely is.
> Those people who smoked, drank moderately and had a credit card debt
> averaging $10,000 - wasted $200,000 in their lifetime.

And then put it in the stock market and end up with $10,000 instead of
$200,000.

J. Clarke

Cynicor wrote:
> Jurgen wrote:
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> So in your little world abstaining from smoking pot and/or
>>> tobacco,
>>> and refusing to spend money of gambling or booze just to **** it
>>> against the wall a few hours later and wake up broke the next
>>> morning are all that one needs to do in order to have a million
>>> dollars in the bank? And the only people who aren't millionaires
>>> are those who have engaged in those activities? And you claim
>>> that
>>> you don't see people who aren't rich as morally inferior?
>>>
>>> Jurgen, you're a jackass. Enjoy your money.
>>>

>> Well thank you John. I don't actually enjoy it. Just use it for the
>> purpose I saved it. Buy whatever I need in later life.
>>
>> Before we part company with you thinking I'm a jackass, Let me just
>> give you a very conservative example of why I believe what I do and
>> why it's you who is the jackass, not me:
>>
>> A pack a day of cigarettes for 60 years at an average cost (40 -
>> $5.00 so I call it $2.50 a pack) comes out to at least $60,000.
>>
>> A bottle of booze a week ($10 a bottle average) comes out to close
>> enough to $31,000. The compounding interest if you'd saved that
>> much
>> at the same rate you spent it would have the $90,000 wasted on
>> rubbish turn into $150,000 at the very least.
>>
>> John, without sounding like a jackass, you could have had $150,000
>> today if instead of being a mild smoker and average drinker, you
>> put
>> the money in a savings account earning just 4% interest.
>>
>> On top of the waste on booze and smokes the average American pays a
>> credit card interest rate of 8% on their average $10,000 worth of
>> credit. So if you never had a credit card, you could expect to have
>> saved an extra $50,000 plus about 15 grand in interest.
>>
>> Here you go John.
>> Rocket science it ain't but truth it absolutely is.
>> Those people who smoked, drank moderately and had a credit card
>> debt
>> averaging $10,000 - wasted $200,000 in their lifetime.

> And then put it in the stock market and end up with $10,000 instead
> of
> $200,000.

And how about those who never smoked, never drank, never had a credit
card, and never had a pot to **** in?

I guess I should have mentioned to him that he was going in the
killfile as a pest.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

tony cooper

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:10:03 +1000, Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> I've only met a handful of people in my entire life, I'd care to
>>> make
>>> friends with. All the rest led a lifestyle I simply cannot
>>> understand
>>> and refused to participate in.
>>>
>>> If you think my is
>>> seeing those who do these things as morally inferior, you need to
>>> look closely at your own code of conduct and lifestyle, not judge me
>>> for mine.

>> So in your little world abstaining from smoking pot and/or tobacco,
>> and
>> refusing to spend money of gambling or booze just to **** it against
>> the wall a few hours later and wake up broke the next morning are all
>> that one needs to do in order to have a million dollars in the bank?
>> And the only people who aren't millionaires are those who have engaged
>> in those activities? And you claim that you don't see people who
>> aren't rich as morally inferior?
>>
>> Jurgen, you're a jackass. Enjoy your money.

>Well thank you John. I don't actually enjoy it. Just use it for the
>purpose I saved it. Buy whatever I need in later life.
>
>Before we part company with you thinking I'm a jackass, Let me just give
>you a very conservative example of why I believe what I do and why it's
>you who is the jackass, not me:

You still come across as a self-important jackass who thinks his
choice of uses for disposable income is the model everyone else should
follow. I seldom drink, but I've spent far more than the figures
below on books in my lifetime. Would I be richer today if I hadn't?
Maybe, but what a dull life it would have been.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

frank

On Dec 11, 5:09*pm, "Bill Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>

> > Bill Graham wrote:

> >> Orthogenic keratocyst on my upper right gum.....It turns out that
> >> this is a kind of low-grade bone cancer that doesn't metastasize, but
> >> *gradually eats away your jawbone. *The ensuing operation quickly ran
> >> *through my $1500 yearly max from, "Delta Dental". So now, even
> >> though my Medicare and Blue Shield coverage would cover everything,
> >> since this problem started in my mouth, I am restricted to a maximum
> >> of $1500 a year. With good luck, the first operation will have got it
> >> all, and it won't come back. But, if not, I could easily go broke
> >> while having surgeons carve the rest of my skull away, with coverage
> >> that is limited to $1500 a year, just because the problem originated
> >> in my mouth. I must have very bad karma.....If there is a way for it
> >> to end up costing me a lot of money, fate will seek it out and
> >> implement it.........

> > Get a lawyer on the case. *Convince a judge that this is not a dental
> > issue but a jawbone issue that should go under your medical, not dental
> > plan.

> Well, to be fair, I haven't pursued the matter at all yet......After the
> first of the year, I will get another follow-up cat scan, and then I will
> sue if I have to pay any appreciable out of pocket costs......It might be
> that the whole thing is a non-issue.....I will let everyone know what
> happens. It is strange to me that we separate mouth issues from issues that
> start in the rest of the body here in the US.....I wonder if all countries
> do that? You can die just as fast from cancer that starts in the mouth as
> cancer that starts in the feet. Perhaps even faster. Why are dentists
> considered low grade doctors?

Who knows. I used to research medical data. There are procedures done
in the hospital, maybe that's the way to get the carrier to pay for it
and not consider it a dental procedure. Talk to your dentist, maybe
you can get an orthopedic surgeon to consult or work on it. Doctors do
stuff like this all the time. A lot of stuff goes on to get stuff paid
by the people you pay premiums to.

consider, 25% of insurance costs go to the company. Overhead. There's
a reason they NEVER have a bad year. The analyst we had, and we hired
some real conservative types, capitalism, business all the way, after
a few months, they came around and HATED insurance companies.

Why are malpractice costs so high? Deep pockets. They can afford to
pay the premiums. they can't soak joe six pack at those rates.

Maybe if Obama reworks health care, this will all go away. We do need
decent dental care, it should be one policy, breaking it out for
dental makes no sense. Especially as there has been research that
dental health affects a lot of other conditions. so make certain
treatments optional. teeth whitening, braces unless you're British....

Good luck on this.

tony cooper

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:04:41 +1000, Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:
>

>> You still come across as a self-important jackass who thinks his
>> choice of uses for disposable income is the model everyone else should
>> follow. I seldom drink, but I've spent far more than the figures
>> below on books in my lifetime. Would I be richer today if I hadn't?
>> Maybe, but what a dull life it would have been.
>>

>You must be a very well informed person then Tony. I sometimes wish I
>had gone back to school but somehow never found time.

My degrees are in business. Indiana University and Northwestern
University. I never read business books, though.

>And yes, to some I have led a very dull life and probably don't know a
>fraction of what you learned from reading the books you bought.
>
>When I need some home maintenance I have to pay someone to do it. You
>probably learned how to do it yourself by reading about it.

When I worked, when any home maintenance project came up I hired
someone to do it. I owned my own business and that meant very little
free time. Too much travel and long hours.

Now that I'm retired, I tackle anything. Photography's handy there.
I recently replaced an electrical box (pool filters and pumps) that I
would have hired someone to replace in the past. I took a photograph
of the wiring connections and just replicated that in the new box.

The only thing that's defeated me so far is replacing drywall. Taping
and mudding joints is a real skill, and I don't have it. I tried one
project and then ripped it out and called someone.

The jury is still out on my mat cutting skills. I don't have the
right kit to do it, and cutting beveled edges and getting the corners
looking good still eludes me.

--

J. Clarke wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>>>
>>> Here you go John.
>>> Rocket science it ain't but truth it absolutely is.
>>> Those people who smoked, drank moderately and had a credit card
>>> debt
>>> averaging $10,000 - wasted $200,000 in their lifetime.

>> And then put it in the stock market and end up with $10,000 instead
>> of
>> $200,000.

> And how about those who never smoked, never drank, never had a credit
> card, and never had a pot to **** in?
>
> I guess I should have mentioned to him that he was going in the
> killfile as a pest.

Here's the thing. I don't smoke or drink, I make a decent salary, and I
own my house outright. But just because I'm better than the rest of you,
do you hear ME making a big deal out of it? Of course not! I am
satisfied to totally out-awesome all of you in the privacy of my own brain.

Jurgen

tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:04:41 +1000, Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> tony cooper wrote:
>>
>>> You still come across as a self-important jackass who thinks his
>>> choice of uses for disposable income is the model everyone else should
>>> follow. I seldom drink, but I've spent far more than the figures
>>> below on books in my lifetime. Would I be richer today if I hadn't?
>>> Maybe, but what a dull life it would have been.
>>>

>> You must be a very well informed person then Tony. I sometimes wish I
>> had gone back to school but somehow never found time.

> My degrees are in business. Indiana University and Northwestern
> University. I never read business books, though.
>
>> And yes, to some I have led a very dull life and probably don't know a
>> fraction of what you learned from reading the books you bought.
>>
>> When I need some home maintenance I have to pay someone to do it. You
>> probably learned how to do it yourself by reading about it.

> When I worked, when any home maintenance project came up I hired
> someone to do it. I owned my own business and that meant very little
> free time. Too much travel and long hours.
>
> Now that I'm retired, I tackle anything. Photography's handy there.
> I recently replaced an electrical box (pool filters and pumps) that I
> would have hired someone to replace in the past. I took a photograph
> of the wiring connections and just replicated that in the new box.
>
> The only thing that's defeated me so far is replacing drywall. Taping
> and mudding joints is a real skill, and I don't have it. I tried one
> project and then ripped it out and called someone.
>
> The jury is still out on my mat cutting skills. I don't have the
> right kit to do it, and cutting beveled edges and getting the corners
> looking good still eludes me.

Mat cutting is right up my alley!
That and book binding (making wedding albums) are skills I acquired
early in life. Plenty of manual mat cutters around that work OK. Mine is
computerised now but for years I used a hand cutter.

If you can rewire a switch box, you should be able to master a decent
cutter. Logan brand cutters are pretty good. The quality of the mat
board and the softness of what you put under it while cutting determine
how good the cut is.

I used to put a foam mount scrap under where I was making the cut and
got good results.

Jurgen

Bill Graham wrote:

> True. Especially since the AMA controls our congress......At least, they
> control anything medical in the congress. At one time, not too long ago,
> we had a number of federal hospitals throughout the US. They never
> taught one physician at any of them. The AMA made sure of that. Today,
> nearly all of these hospitals have been closed. And our wounded vets are
> having a hell of a time getting treatment as a result.

That's not so.
I had substantial back surgery last year originating in shrapnel still
in my back finally moving and causing serious problems. My family doctor
filed some paperwork with VA then gave me a referral to a private
specalist. I didn't have any problems getting treatment. Couldn't speak
more highly of those who did the surgery or those who transported me
half way across the country and back.