Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Larry Thong's Video Adventures!!

Re: Larry Thong's Video Adventures!!

Ray Fischer

Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>J. Clarke wrote:
>> Jurgen wrote:

>>> And don't we all have that in later life?

>> In your universe maybe.

>Anyone who retires broke has only themselves to blame for a reckless
>life.

You're just an arrogant ass.

> I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who never planned on how
>they'd live when work ended.

The leading cause of bankruptcy in the US is medical problems.

Pray that you don't get sick.

--
Ray Fischer

Jurgen

Ray Fischer wrote:
> Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> In your universe maybe.

>> Anyone who retires broke has only themselves to blame for a reckless
>> life.

> You're just an arrogant ass.
>
>> I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who never planned on how
>> they'd live when work ended.

> The leading cause of bankruptcy in the US is medical problems.
>
> Pray that you don't get sick.

You can call me arrogant if you like but the first fact is I was born
just like you. Naked and penniless. I went to a state run school and
left at age 14 because my father died and Mom need me working.

A war and a lifetime later you call me arrogant because I feel like I
earned every cent of what I have and don't feel sympathy for those
around me who didn't do as well as me. The second truth is that you had
the same ability I had to decide what to do with your life.

I never smoked, never tasted dope and never drank. I've never had a
credit card and never borrowed money. I bought my first car at age 30.
Before that I walked or took a bus. Why?

Because I didn't have enough to buy the car I wanted until then. How
does this compare with your life Ray?

Not my fault the Government ripped 2 years out of my life and mentally
scared me for the rest of it. But you won't see me proclaiming I'm a
hard done by veteran looking for a hand out. I got on with my life when
I got home.

I don't want to start a ****ing contest either but; in the last 15 years
I've had:
2 rounds of heart surgery
2 fused vertebra
2 ear implants
2 eye ops so I can see without spectacles and
a little cosmetic surgery on my eye lids to hide my ancestry.

Veteran affairs paid for some of it, sure but I had to shell out from my
savings for most of it. I don't know how sick I should be praying I
don't get to qualify for your assessment of me. Does a near death heart
attack qualify? How about a broken back?

IF you stopped judging people you might shrug of that nasty streak you
keep showing when you disagree with people. We all have a right to an
opinion, you know.

ASAAR

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:19:58 +1000, Jurgen wrote:

>>> I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who never planned on how
>>> they'd live when work ended.

>> The leading cause of bankruptcy in the US is medical problems.
>>
>> Pray that you don't get sick.
>>

> You can call me arrogant if you like but the first fact is I was born
> just like you. Naked and penniless. I went to a state run school and
> left at age 14 because my father died and Mom need me working.
>
> A war and a lifetime later you call me arrogant because I feel like I
> earned every cent of what I have and don't feel sympathy for those
> around me who didn't do as well as me. The second truth is that you had
> the same ability I had to decide what to do with your life.
>
> I never smoked, never tasted dope and never drank. I've never had a
> credit card and never borrowed money. I bought my first car at age 30.
> Before that I walked or took a bus. Why?
>
> Because I didn't have enough to buy the car I wanted until then. How
> does this compare with your life Ray?
>
> Not my fault the Government ripped 2 years out of my life and mentally
> scared me for the rest of it. But you won't see me proclaiming I'm a
> hard done by veteran looking for a hand out. I got on with my life when
> I got home.
>
> I don't want to start a ****ing contest either but; in the last 15 years
> I've had:
> 2 rounds of heart surgery
> 2 fused vertebra
> 2 ear implants
> 2 eye ops so I can see without spectacles and
> a little cosmetic surgery on my eye lids to hide my ancestry.
>
> Veteran affairs paid for some of it, sure but I had to shell out from my
> savings for most of it. I don't know how sick I should be praying I
> don't get to qualify for your assessment of me. Does a near death heart
> attack qualify? How about a broken back?
>
> IF you stopped judging people you might shrug of that nasty streak you
> keep showing when you disagree with people. We all have a right to an
> opinion, you know.

You indeed have a right to your opinion. Here's mine. You also
have a nasty streak and have judged (negatively) a large group of
people that you don't know because you *assume* that they don't
share your "save for retirement" ethic. There are two problems with
this. First, due to economic conditions beyond their control and
which they couldn't be expected to anticipate, an enormous number of
people in the USA and many other countries have lost much of their
retirement savings. Would you care to estimate how many millions no
longer have enough money saved to be able to retire? Not
comfortably, but enough to be able to avoid losing their homes which
now have also lost much of their value.

yet just a day earlier you said :

> Money is just a tool that gets us the toys we want and occasionally
> need. Any excess is a waste of resources.
> . . .
>
> Money is no good when you're dead buddy.
>
> I'd rather die in debt than watch over my relatives squabble over who
> gets what. When I see something I like, I just buy it.

So your contempt and lack of sympathy for many of those who end up
in dire circumstances shows you to be a moralizer whose creed is "Do
as I say, not as I do." You're the one that needs to follow your
own advice by shrugging off the nasty streak that has you unfairly
judging people.

J. Clarke

Jurgen wrote:
> Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Anyone who retires broke has only themselves to blame for a
>>> reckless
>>> life.

>> You're just an arrogant ass.
>>
>>> I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who never planned on how
>>> they'd live when work ended.

>> The leading cause of bankruptcy in the US is medical problems.
>>
>> Pray that you don't get sick.
>>

> You can call me arrogant if you like but the first fact is I was
> born
> just like you. Naked and penniless. I went to a state run school and
> left at age 14 because my father died and Mom need me working.
>
> A war and a lifetime later you call me arrogant because I feel like
> earned every cent of what I have and don't feel sympathy for those
> around me who didn't do as well as me. The second truth is that you
> had the same ability I had to decide what to do with your life.
>
> I never smoked, never tasted dope and never drank. I've never had a
> credit card and never borrowed money. I bought my first car at age
> 30.
> Before that I walked or took a bus. Why?
>
> Because I didn't have enough to buy the car I wanted until then. How
> does this compare with your life Ray?
>
> Not my fault the Government ripped 2 years out of my life and
> mentally
> scared me for the rest of it. But you won't see me proclaiming I'm a
> hard done by veteran looking for a hand out. I got on with my life
> when I got home.
>
> I don't want to start a ****ing contest either but; in the last 15
> years I've had:
> 2 rounds of heart surgery
> 2 fused vertebra
> 2 ear implants
> 2 eye ops so I can see without spectacles and
> a little cosmetic surgery on my eye lids to hide my ancestry.
>
> Veteran affairs paid for some of it, sure but I had to shell out
> from
> my savings for most of it. I don't know how sick I should be praying
> don't get to qualify for your assessment of me. Does a near death
> heart attack qualify? How about a broken back?
>
> IF you stopped judging people you might shrug of that nasty streak
> you
> keep showing when you disagree with people. We all have a right to
> an
> opinion, you know.

The picture I'm getting is of an arrogant fat cat who's ashamed of his
ancestry and is too vain to wear glasses. Oh, and I'm happy for you
that you live somewhere where it's possible to get to work by public
transportation or bummed rides.

As to how sick you you have to get, well, if you think a heart attack
is bad you ain't seen _nothin'_.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

ASAAR

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:46:42 +0000, savvo wrote:

>> IBM CEO's famous statement:
>> "There might be a market for maybe 200 PCs worldwide".

> So you still haven't updated your urban legends database? Nobody ever
> said that about PCs. Consider: at the time the PC was designed how many
> hundreds of thousands of Apple II, CP/M, Commodore PET and derivatives,
> etc. had been sold world-wide.

If it had been said, it might have been based on sales of IBM's
first "portable" personal computer, the 55 pound Model 5100. It
sold for between $10,000 and $15,000 in 1975, predating the Apple II
and Pet by a couple of years and the IBM PC by six years. The "IBM
CEO's famous" statement probably morphed from the one attributed to
IBM CEO Tom Watson many decades earlier which is also suspect :

> Although Watson is well known for his alleged 1943 statement:
> "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers,"
> there is scant evidence he made it. The author Kevin Maney tried
> to find the origin of the quote, but has been unable to locate any
> speeches or documents of Watson's that contain this, nor are the
> words present in any contemporary articles about IBM. The
> earliest known citation is from 1986 on Usenet in the signature
> of a poster from Convex Computer Corporation as "I think there
> is a world market for about five computers" — Remark attributed
> to Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board of International
> Business Machines), 1943. Another early article source (May 15, 1985)
> is a column by Neil Morgan, a San Diego Evening Tribune writer
> who wrote: 'Forrest Shumway, chairman of The Signal Cos., doesn't
> make predictions. His role model is Tom Watson, then IBM chairman,
> who said in 1958: "I think there is a world market for about five
> computers."'. However one of the very first quotes can be found in a
> book "The Experts Speak" written by Christopher Cerf and Victor S.
> Navasky in 1984. But Cerf and Navasky just quote from a book written
> by Morgan and Langford, "Facts and Fallacies". However all these
> early quotes are questioned by Eric Weiss, an Editor of the Annals of
> the History of Computing in ACS letters in 1985.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Watson

Ray Fischer

Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Jurgen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Anyone who retires broke has only themselves to blame for a reckless
>>> life.

>> You're just an arrogant ass.
>>
>>> I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who never planned on how
>>> they'd live when work ended.

>> The leading cause of bankruptcy in the US is medical problems.
>>
>> Pray that you don't get sick.

>You can call me arrogant if you like but the first fact is I was born
>just like you. Naked and penniless.

Don't start lying to me - I have no patience for it. Everybody knows
that the circumstances of one's born has an enormous effect on a
person's life. If your parents have the money and education to make
sure tht you also get a good education then your life will turn out
very differently than if you're forced to get a job right out of high
school.

> I went to a state run school and
>left at age 14 because my father died and Mom need me working.
>
>A war and a lifetime later you call me arrogant because I feel like I
>earned every cent of what I have and don't feel sympathy for those
>around me who didn't do as well as me.

No, I call you arrogant because you think that everybody should be
just like you.

> The second truth is that you had
>the same ability I had to decide what to do with your life.
>
>I never smoked, never tasted dope and never drank.

So what? You either got lucky or you got good genes. Why do you
think you deserve any credit for that?

> I've never had a
>credit card and never borrowed money. I bought my first car at age 30.
>Before that I walked or took a bus. Why?

Fear? Stupidity?

>Because I didn't have enough to buy the car I wanted until then. How
>does this compare with your life Ray?

Do you think that borrowingmoney is always bad?

>Not my fault the Government ripped 2 years out of my life and mentally
>scared me for the rest of it. But you won't see me proclaiming I'm a
>hard done by veteran looking for a hand out. I got on with my life when
>I got home.
>
>I don't want to start a ****ing contest either but; in the last 15 years
>I've had:
>2 rounds of heart surgery

Why? Too lazy and/or stupid to eat right and exercise?

>2 fused vertebra
>2 ear implants
>2 eye ops so I can see without spectacles and
>a little cosmetic surgery on my eye lids to hide my ancestry.

And who paid for all of that?

>Veteran affairs paid for some of it,

Smirk. So government handouts are only bad for OTHER people.

> sure but I had to shell out from my
>savings for most of it.

And what happens when you're still needing medical care but no longer
can afford it?

> I don't know how sick I should be praying I
>don't get to qualify for your assessment of me. Does a near death heart
>attack qualify? How about a broken back?

You're still an arrogant ass, so I don't see that it improved you
much.

>IF you stopped judging people

What a stinking hypocrite you are.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Jurgen

ASAAR wrote:

> So your contempt and lack of sympathy for many of those who end up
> in dire circumstances shows you to be a moralizer whose creed is "Do
> as I say, not as I do." You're the one that needs to follow your
> own advice by shrugging off the nasty streak that has you unfairly
> judging people.

ASAAR, I lost nearly half a million bucks when one of the investment
funds I put it in went insolvent. What I didn't do was use only one type
of investment. You are now seeking to judge me as having a "nasty
streak" because I don't sympathize enough for those who did the same.

Big deal.
Get on with your life.
Complaining only makes you look like a grumpy old man.

J. Clarke

Jurgen wrote:
> ASAAR wrote:
>
>> So your contempt and lack of sympathy for many of those who end
>> up
>> in dire circumstances shows you to be a moralizer whose creed is
>> "Do
>> as I say, not as I do." You're the one that needs to follow your
>> own advice by shrugging off the nasty streak that has you unfairly
>> judging people.
>>

> ASAAR, I lost nearly half a million bucks when one of the investment
> funds I put it in went insolvent.

Most people never _see_ half a million bucks.

> What I didn't do was use only one
> type of investment. You are now seeking to judge me as having a
> "nasty
> streak" because I don't sympathize enough for those who did the
> same.

No, you have a nasty streak because you see anyone who isn't rich as
being your moral inferior.

> Big deal.
> Get on with your life.
> Complaining only makes you look like a grumpy old man.

The only person I see grumping around here is you.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

mj

"Jurgen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ASAAR, I lost nearly half a million bucks when one of the investment funds
> I put it in went insolvent. What I didn't do was use only one type of
> investment. You are now seeking to judge me as having a "nasty streak"
> because I don't sympathize enough for those who did the same.

You are playing blackjack and your initial buy in is $100.00. At one point
in the game you have acquired $350.00 worth of chips which you lose over the
next several games, how much did you lose?

Jurgen

J. Clarke wrote:

> No, you have a nasty streak because you see anyone who isn't rich as
> being your moral inferior.
>

> The only person I see grumping around here is you.

I'm sorry you see things that way John. I don't judge people by what
they have but what they are.

I've only met a handful of people in my entire life, I'd care to make
friends with. All the rest led a lifestyle I simply cannot understand
and refused to participate in.

If you think my abstaining from smoking pot and/or tobacco, and refusing
to spend money of gambling or booze just to **** it against the wall a
few hours later and wake up broke the next morning is seeing those who
do these things as morally inferior, you need to look closely at your
own code of conduct and lifestyle, not judge me for mine.